What do you think?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fleshman03, Jun 8, 2008.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Hi all! I posted this on another site, but I've started reading this one and thought I'd see what you all think.

I'm hoping you all can help me make a decision. I've been contemplating the move to a macbook/pro and reading almost everything I can find for a little while now. There was actually a time when I bought a used g3 ibook (late 2002 w/ 10.3) and used it for a semester in college until the motherboard died. I'm in a weird place. I like some of the design features of the current macbooks and some of the pros. I also like the 15 over the 13 inch, but I could get used to it.

I also want to be sure that I can get the same or better performance that I have now. I'm hoping to keep it for more than year or two.

Here's what I have now:

Desktop:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/del...-30981395.html
    I upgraded the RAM to 3 gigs at 800mhz and put in a 8600 gts. It's my powerhouse. Also, it has a 3.4 ghz P4 hyper threaded processor in there.

Laptop:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...250963&lang=en
    Bought it off the shelf with nothing custom under the hood.

Now I usually use my computers for video conversion, word processing, mp3 re-encoding, html & other simple coding and other daily computing needs. I have a 360 so gaming isn't a big deal right now.

So which one would be best for my needs? Would I get similar/better performance?

Thanks!

BTW- I grew up on macs. Nothing like the apple 2e or the original mac. I took a break while in college, but grad school will bring me back home.

Oh and I know about the possible redesigns. I'm going to wait till tomorrow or even 1 more week to see what happens.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

everything changes...but just be aware depending on how revolutionary any change might be...it may not be available immediately

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

your links are not working. the mbp will do fine for everything you list.