What do you use for organizing videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shinji, Nov 16, 2007.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Is there an app like iPhoto for organizing movies (other than iPhoto/iTunes)? I found yFlicks http://www.manytricks.com/yflicks/ but I'm not really crazy about it...I want to be able to add tags etc.

Moving everything into all kinds of folders in Finder is getting to be a pain.

2. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

Anyone? Do you guys just use a mass of folders?

3. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I used to, until 3 weeks ago when I got my new iMac with the new iMovie. It added iPhoto-like library like organization of videos. It has some drawback, though, like creating a 1 GB/hour thumbnail file for every video you import, only allowing event folders organized by year, and automatically putting the video into the year folder based on the date of the file with no way to change it in iMovie. That was an issue from me, because a lot of my footage was imported from analog via a DV bridge, with the file date of the day I imported it, not the date of the footage. I had to download a 3rd party app to change the date created of those files.

Other than those drawbacks, I find the library organization tools, combined with the new fast thumbnail scrolling preview to be pretty well done. I have about 150 hours of home video in there going back to 1989, and it amazing to have it all in one place and well organized, just like my photos in iPhoto.

4. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

These aren't videos I created or anything...it's just my personal collection of downloaded clips.

5. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

Gotcha ;)

There is no reason iMovie 08 wouldn't work for downloaded videos, but yes, it is really more intended for home video with the automatic organization by year.