Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nexu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 24, 2017
Hey, I’ve never owned an iPad, but after recent refreshes I’m thinking of buying one. But because of the fact I’ve never had one, o don’t really know which size would be the best. The new mini seems tempting, but as I own an iPhone XR already I don’t really know if it’s a good choice because the screen size is pretty similar. I’d like to have something bigger than the phone to watch videos in bed and driving traveling, for mail and browsing the web, and I don’t really use my pc anymore, so it would be nice to somehow fill this space.
That’s why I’m also considering the new air, but isn’t it gonna be too heavy/bulky for a bedside device or travel companion?

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
With the Mini 5,

Consumption (Movies, music, reading comics etc. on the kindle app, surfing, email)

Creation (Drawing in Procreate and Sketches Pro, PDF mark up, note taking, writing)

Looking forward to getting mine so I can use it during my commutes (iPhone too small and no pencil support, anything bigger than the Mini too big for commutes).

If any of this sounds like stuff you’d do, why not?

Last edited:

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
Hey, I’ve never owned an iPad, but after recent refreshes I’m thinking of buying one. But because of the fact I’ve never had one, o don’t really know which size would be the best. The new mini seems tempting, but as I own an iPhone XR already I don’t really know if it’s a good choice because the screen size is pretty similar. I’d like to have something bigger than the phone to watch videos in bed and driving traveling, for mail and browsing the web, and I don’t really use my pc anymore, so it would be nice to somehow fill this space.
That’s why I’m also considering the new air, but isn’t it gonna be too heavy/bulky for a bedside device or travel companion?

The screens are not similar in size at all, the XR is 6.1 inches covering 90. 3cm3 and the mini is 7.9 inches covering 193. 3cm3, so more than double the screen area.

duggram

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2008
I have a mini2 and use it most importantly to pair with my inReach Explorer satellite communicator for bigger maps and ease of messaging. The rest of the time I'll use it for reading in bed or for recipes in the kitchen.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
With the Mini 5,

Consumption (Movies, music, reading comics etc. on the kindle app, surfing, email)

Creation (Drawing in Procreate and Sketches Pro, PDF mark up, note taking, writing)

Looking forward to getting mine to I can use it during my commutes (iPhone too small and no pencil support, anything bigger than the Mini too big for commutes).

If any of this sounds like stuff you’d do, why not?

This is going to be my use case too. I'm an Analyst and take notes in meetings/present things quite regularly, so this is the perfect size. The 10.5" Pro turned out to be a bit cumbersome to always have to take into meetings. Plus I can now use this whilst commuting (10.5" pro again was a hefty device and needed 2 hands to hold for an hour or so train ride).

My only worry is that the small size is still ok to take notes on, as on the weekends I like to upskill on Udemy and therefore take notes; the 10.5 Pro has been amazing for that. Time will tell I guess.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Basically it my home access to the world. It got a 4:3 ratio screen, not a 16:9 so I can read webpages articles , post stuff and watch videos. I also have a 6.5” iPhone too but use it only for phone calls and while I am away from home. I carry the Mini 4 around the home and purchased a 10.5” Pro as a secondary iPad.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Get one ASAP. It’s awesome!

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I used a mini 2 for a while. It feels like a Kindle, a great e-reader, easy to hold and fits in any bag (or purse). But it is also so much more: gorgeous screen, great photo viewer, web browser, magazines, pdfs, e-mail, even good for movies on the go.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
...as I own an iPhone XR already I don’t really know if it’s a good choice because the screen size is pretty similar.

As @MarkX stated above... the screens are not similar in size at all.

It's not just about the inches... it's also the aspect ratio.

I know people always say "phones are getting as big as tablets!"

Well... not exactly... :p

aGuj8SB.jpg

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
For the bedside I think the size of the mini is a good compromise.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
I use it for just about everything. Emails, web browsing, texting, FaceTiming, video games, banking, online shopping, occasional TV/Twitch watching and more. I use it at home instead of a computer or smart phone. When I’m out of the house, I do have a XR. I currently use a Mini 4 (preordered the Mini 5), and previously used the original Air. The screen size on the Air was great for viewing videos and reading (which is what I used it for the most), but I use the Mini so much more often due to it being easy to pick up and hold whenever I want. I mostly used the Air at work on lunch breaks, but the Mini gets used constantly (whereas the Air mostly sat inside my backpack at home). As you might have guessed, I recommend the iPad, specifically the Mini. It feels so much larger than the XR (or any phone), but also just the right size IMO.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Air is not heavy/bulky... it’s one pound even.
True. A lot of it has to do with the case on it. My Air had an Otterbox Defender case. I had forgotten how light it was without its case. Get a fairly lightweight case and the Air should be more manageable. It’s still not comfortable to hold for extended periods compared to a Mini IMO.

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
As @MarkX stated above... the screens are not similar in size at all.

It's not just about the inches... it's also the aspect ratio.

I know people always say "phones are getting as big as tablets!"

Well... not exactly... :p

aGuj8SB.jpg
Posted in another thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipad-mini-5.2173801/) - screen size is one factor, however iPhones do not support multitasking features like Split View, Slide Over, PIP, etc. I’m far more productive with an iPad Mini than I am an iPhone, in the smallest iPad form factor available.

Attachments

• B87A5222-912A-45DB-A41A-6E196E35EFD7.png
    B87A5222-912A-45DB-A41A-6E196E35EFD7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 282
Reactions: Michael Scrip

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
i just bought an 11” ipad pro and i hate that i want one of these, and not even instead. just for my camera bag and knocking around. the 11’s great, im dumb.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK

I think a Mini would be ideal for you - especially as you seem to have been managing most tasks with your iPhone XR. The Mini would just make everything more comfortable for you. Although very portable, you are still getting far more screen estate on the Mini than the XR. Personally, I mainly use my Mini as a bedside/travel device these days (I also have an 11” Pro), but if I had to give up one of my two iPads, I would ditch the Pro & keep the Mini, as the Mini is just so versatile & my favourite iPad ever. Before I purchased an 11” Pro, I used nothing but a Mini for 3 years & coped fine.

Oh, I have ordered Mini 5 to replace Mini (yep, I guess I am what you would call a Mini fanboy!)

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I’ve used a mini exclusively since the first mini came out. I have small hands so it’s the perfect size for me.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
The screens are not similar in size at all, the XR is 6.1 inches covering 90. 3cm3 and the mini is 7.9 inches covering 193. 3cm3, so more than double the screen area.

Also the ratio is different, i like watching older tv shows on my devices and my XS Max is a widescreen ratio, Mini is perfect for watching older tv shows in more 4;3 ratio

Reactions: sracer

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I like having a small device when I’m out, and a big (but still relatively comfortable) device when I’m home. So when I get home, I put my SE on a charger, and use my iPad mini almost exclusively for all mobile computing tasks—everything that isn’t better done on even bigger devices, that is. Unless I’m working or watching a lot of TV, my iPad mini is definitely the device that gets the most use at home daily.

Syrgul

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015

They should both be great devices. What it'll boil down to is, do you want to take it everywhere (Mini) or you ok putting it in a bag (Air). I can slip my Mini in the inside pocket of most of my coats, and even in the cargo pockets when I'm wearing cargos. The air on the other hand, offers a larger screen, which is better if you want to prop it up and watch videos.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
It’s a versatile format that gives you instant access to the more robust iPad iOS. But bigger pads need stands and tables. Mini can be held and goes with you from room to room.

If that sounds appealing, spend $100 on a used mini (swappa) and test drive it for a month. If you can’t put it down, give it to a family member and get the 5 for yourself.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Form factor preference is just a really personal, non-objective thing. Your best bet is to go into the store and try out all the different sizes, pick your favorite. Especially since the new Mini and Air are more-or-less identical spec-wise. Good luck.

Fenhalls

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2019
I still haven't made my mind up about a new mini, but, if I do buy one, I'll use it mainly at home for reading and listening to audiobooks and music (my own - I have a ridiculous number of albums that I've ripped). The larger iPads are really nice if you're rooted to one spot, but if you're moving about the mini will I'm sure be much less cumbersome. I used to have a couple of Fire HDX 7s (together with the larger HDX that was Amazon's one shot at making half-decent tablets) and that's exactly how I used them.

--------

Update (3/24/19):

I have now decided to buy one and shall be ordering one a little later this morning directly from Apple.

Why? To be completely honest, probably in large part because I've been caught up in all the excitement on this forum. But yes, I really want one as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.