What do you use it for?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Skylitfly, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

So, I've been thinking about getting an Watch when ever it's available in my country. I do like the idea of being able to keep my phone silent basically 24/7 and get all the notifications on the watch. Being able to quickly glance for notifications seems convinient. And it shows the time and the complications of course.

How ever, beside the basic use I see very little usage for it. I mean... do you actually really use it for anything else but quickly glancing for time or notification?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's a watch that displays the date, time and other information on the watch face.
    It allows you to view and interact with notifications that arrive from your phone.
    It has activity tracking ability.

This is what it is designed to do and what it has for offer. It is not for everyone. Sounds like you shouldn't buy one based on your expectations.

3. IW1206MT macrumors member

My most common uses are : Time/date/weather/ fitness tracker/workout logger/ remote for iTunes / occasional email / phone ring silencer/ Apple Pay/ Starbucks

4. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Agree with Armen. Your usage expectations seem 'too light' to justify the price tag unless you have the cash to burn. I use mine for what you describe but I also like to use it to record my workouts since I log my food to estimate calorie consumption and have been on a weight loss goal. I would make sure that from who I expect to buy it from has at least a reasonable return policy in case you find out that it's not worth it to you. That's what I did from the apple online store.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I find it strange that people want to buy the watch first and then find uses for it.

6. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

I use it to keep track of physical activities and notifications, and calls.
    Fitness tracking is useful to me when presented in numbers and charts since it's visual and easy to understand.

7. Roller macrumors 68020

Seeing notifications on the watch is only half the story, albeit an important part. It's much less obtrusive to glance at my wrist to view an incoming text, say, than it is to wake my iPhone. But I also use the watch to respond using the canned replies that I've created. Those two functions alone make the Apple Watch worth it for me. With Watch OS 2.0, I expect it to become even more useful.

8. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

That depends. I bought it because I liked it, simple as that. I was intrigued and curious, and just liked how it looked as a watch. Since then I've found a much greater depth of use than I had expected.

My uses:
    - nice looking watch. And the planetary watch face is a stunner and fun to show off, blows people away.
    - not having to always reach for the 6+ to check notifications is actually very handy and makes my iPhone use feel a lot less hysterical...I tend to obsess over missing notifications :p Also I love being able to leave my phone in another room while having dinner for instance, and discreetly receive notifications.
    - peek at Instagram and Flipboard sometimes when I have a minute to kill waiting for the bus or whatever, and have my phone buried in the bag, actually quite enjoyable
    - set timers using Siri while cooking and have messy hands, this is awesome
    - Passbook/Wallet use is actually very cool, love how it just comes alive when my flight time is approaching
    - Siri: "tell me about" whatever, and have the Wiki article pop up is fun and I use it a lot for example when out having a beer and the conversation leads to something I want to look up on the spot.

...and I expect much of this will get a lot better with watchOS 2. One thing I like is to enter my whole groceries shopping list in Todoist and then being able to pull up the list on the watch and tick off items while shopping - but this is currently too hit & miss given the sluggish OS, I expect this to improve markedly with the upgrade and become much more useful.

I don't read the OP as he/she intends to only check the time & notifications on it, but rather is asking what it can do.

So OP: if the money isn't a huge deal and you're intrigued/just like the Watch, I'd say have some fun and go for it! Or at least go to an Apple store if you can and try it on, you might fall in love on the spot.

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I use it to save my aging 5S's battery. I also use it to not miss messages or calls while the phone isn't on my person.

I check the news headlines during my "morning meditation" (sittin' on the toilet), track activity (bug myself into standing up on days off), wake myself (taps on my wrist work very well), control my Apple TV, tell my wife when I'm coming home, answer the phone in the car, get hands-eyes-ears-free navigation directions via wrist taps, play music from my phone, view my grocery list, set a timer for laundry, use Pay, get updates from the football game, and -- oh yeah -- see what time it is.

I'm sure I'm on the light-usage side, too.

10. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I can't disagree with you although I admit I was a little conflicted prior to getting it since it was a not an insignificant amount of money for something that is not essential to anyone. When I got it however I was sold in less than a week. Except for choosing an iPhone all of Apple products I have purchased have been agonizing at first until I get them. I know I'm weird that way.

11. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

I find it strange that people question what other people buy with their own money.

12. Skylitfly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for replies guys.

I think I'll go check it out when it's in stores here. Notifications, glances and complications seems handy. Also the time lapse feature in OS2. But I'm not sure if thats enough to justify the price. I'd go SS anyways since I don't like aluminium watches.

13. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I think that is the best course of action. I got the aluminum sport watch since I don't fancy the SS model and actually like the aluminum color and construction. Got the 38mm which certainly helped me keep costs to a bare minimum for a first generation product. Didn't think I would find it that useful however.

14. mikemj23 macrumors 6502

In order of use/importance :

-See my blood sugar in real time (Type 1 Diabetic) via my Dexcom CGM
    -notifications, keeping phone in pocket/backpack
    -Apple Pay
    -workout tracking
    -voice text in car
    -Control Music
    -Ask for Sports scores
    -Weather alerts via Dark Sky
    -Pinging my iPhone to find where one of my kids left it in the house.

15. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Apple Pay gets like the top 3 spots for me. I feel giddy when I see an Apple Pay eligible terminal and can be all futuristic and pay with my watch with how damn easy it is.

The others would be text notifications while driving and then telling time of course without pulling out my phone.

I rarely use it for probably 75% of what it can do just because I haven't found a need to but the things it does for me is perfect.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The honeymoon phase with the Apple watch ends very quickly. After playing around with watch faces, settings and maybe a few apps it retires to just being a watch that tells the time and provides other information.

I'm completely ok with this. Others were expecting the watch to entertain them somehow as if they were bought a Gameboy.

17. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Definitely go to an Apple store and see one and play with it in person. It will help you decide as well.