What do you use on your email notifications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Aug 29, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Push or fetch new data?

I tried having my email onto push but nothing came up straight away. I had to go into my email to get the message

Anybody know why?

Shouldn't the email come up when I'm out of my email account?

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

It's possible that your email provider doesn't support push. If that's the case, it doesnt' matter if you set it to push - it won't happen. Are you sure that your provider supports push?

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I use outlook

Surely that supports it. If it doesn't do i just set it to fetch and that should get it through?

4. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

If I have my email set to fetch say hourly emails will they still appear in the notifcatione center on iOS 5?

Can somebody cOnfirm this?

5. psywzrd macrumors 68030

That's not what I mean. Who is your email PROVIDER? Do you use yahoo, gmail, etc.?

6. shandyman Suspended

outlook is not the provider, it's a client. provider is who your email is with, such as google, hotmail, yahoo, etc

----------

yes

7. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

thanks

In terms of battery life having it fetch hourly is that the best option to use battery wise?

In terms of push I used imap to create my email. Is that why it doesn't work?

8. shandyman Suspended

who's your provider though? as you may not be able to use push anyway, not all of them support it.

i have push and see no difference in battery level with it on.

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

By provider you mean my network who my contract is with?

10. shandyman Suspended

no, who your email is with, yahoo, hotmail, gmail or something like that.

11. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Outlook and I created it through exchange. Would only work under imap

12. shandyman Suspended

no, as i said before, Outlook is an email client. not a provider. what's the domain after the @ in your email address?

13. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Bud, everyone is asking you the same question but you're not answering the right way.

What folks are asking you is WHO is your email account WITH. Meaning, if my email address is hankster@gmail.com then Gmail is my email account provider. If I have hankster@yahoo.com then Yahoo is my email account provider. If you have a private email account, like a business account, then you need to look into the business email account provider or list whatever goes after the @ in your email address here so folks can help you.

14. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Dont want to hijack the thread but would an @hotmail.com address support push? Or should it be set to fetch?

15. shandyman Suspended

If you set it up as an exchange account, it will do push, I'm using it right now.

Here's a guide - http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/08/how-to-setup-hotmail-using-exchange-activesync-on-your-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-for-push-email-calendar-contacts.html

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Correct.

Basically, what does your email address say after the "@" sign?

17. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Sorry

yeah it is a business type account that was created through a domain as part of my own website years ago. it's a hoops.com account. I believe my dad uses the same kind of provider so might be best to ask him if he recieves push notifications through his phone...but saying that he does and he has a blackberry so surely it would work with the iphone too.

EDIT After seeing tlewis's post in the other thread about imap not working with iphone this is the reason why it seems

Think I will just go with fetch. I'm guessing it is still done the same way in fetch that it will come up on the notifications center screen when i get e-mails hourly for example?

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Blackberries push email automatically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_e-mail#Research_In_Motion_BlackBerry

I'd set it to fetch every 30 minutes or so if that's acceptable for you. It should function the same on the notification screen.

19. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Jeez, talk about pulling teeth. As for imap not working with iPhone, what kind of baloney is that? Before I switched to activesync I used imap all the time with no problems whatsoever.

20. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

21. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Relative to using the screen, 3G, WiFi and GPS, people get waaaay too paranoid about fetching mail and its effect on battery life. Just go with what YOU will be happy with. If you are fine waiting an hour to get your mail updates on your phone, set it to an hour. If you want it more frequent, do it more frequently. Just having the phone ON to be able to make such requests is making far more of an impact on the battery.

22. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

yeah I do get abit obessed by that but due to my travelling i get nervous about battery life

if having my email onto fetch every hour i want to make sure it won't hurt my battery life too much.

23. twitt3r macrumors 6502

If you are nervous about battery life, a smartphone like the iPhone was a bad choice! You should have got a Blackberry instead - not as rich on the content-front, but as far as pure communications devices go, they take some beating.

24. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Not nervous about battery life in general just when it comes to the e-mail service.

all I need to know is if having my email to fetch every hour or so will it be that much of a difference in battery life? if not there thats good.

also in ios 5 will the e-mails come in the notifications center all at once if i fetch to hourly?

I love my iphone and wouldn't change it for the world

sorry for all the questions just trying to learn about the features in ios 5

25. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yes, of course it will decrease battery life a bit, but so will making phone calls, playing games, browsing the web etc. By how much is hard to say as it all depends on where you are, how much mail there is to fetch etc. Relatively speaking it's not worth getting worked up over - just turn the feature on and see how it goes. If you have an unacceptable decrease in battery, increase the time between fetches accordingly. I have mine set to push two ActiveSync accounts constantly, and consider the battery life to be acceptable for what the device does.

Yes, in iOS5 you will see all new e-mails in one go in your notifications center.