What do you use the iPad for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by automatickyle, Mar 30, 2011.

1. automatickyle macrumors regular

I will be finishing my undergrad in May and will be getting the MacBook Pro 15" for a graduation gift. I have also had several iPhones over the years and currently use the iPhone 4. I have been eyeing the iPad 2 since the release. I have not been able to justify yet the need for it seeing I will soon have a new computer and the iPhone 4. I'm a big "gadget" person so I would love to own one, but wanted to get input from everyone as to what you mainly use your iPad and what justified it for you. Thanks guys!

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I use mine for web browsing, sports information when I don't feel like pulling out my iPhone, social networks, I love the Bible app and it comes in handy, Xfinity app from Comcast comes in handy when I can't find my remote at home, Netflix, etc.

3. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Reading news apps. Reading PDFs for work. Playing some simple games. Some web browsing--but mainly still use my laptop as I do too much forum posting and thus need the keyboard. Taking notes in work meetings sometimes. E-books I still read on my Kindle 3 as the iPad screen tires my eyes and it's just too big and heavy for me for long-term reading.

Still a bit unsure if it was really worth the $600 for those uses. But I do really enjoy it for those uses!

4. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The iPad has become my "around the house" computing device. Most everything I do except for heavy word processing and gaming I now do on the iPad.

I've got a Dell laptop from work (I use that at work, obviously, and rarely use it at home unless there's a file or application I desperately need), an iMac and a 1st gen iPad. I had a MacBook Pro for a long time as my primary computer around the house, which was great for when I wanted to look something up on the web/check e-mail/etc., regardless of what room I was in.

But once I got an iPad I found that a lot of the everyday tasks I did on my MBP I preferred doing on the iPad instead. It's lighter, easier to move around, and the battery lasts a heck of a lot longer (if I'm doing basic tasks like internet/e-mail). So I ditched the MBP and got an iMac instead. I could sacrifice the portability because of the iPad. I use the iMac to store all my files and use it for ocassional gaming or when I have to do some heavy word processing (the iPad's just not fun to type on for more than a few paragraphs at a time).

The iPad has also become my e-book reader (replacing my 2nd gen Kindle except when I'm traveling and know I'll want to read outside), newsreader, and for the ocassional game or two. Yeah, I mainly use it as a consumption device instead of creation, but for what I need to do when I'm out and about, the iPad works perfectly.

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I use it for hacking into bank accounts, watching pron, posting trollish messages on forums, etc.. Also, I use to when I'm standing in line at the bank to get chicks. iPad = chick magnet.

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

It does everything I used to use my iPhone for around the house. I have an iMac desktop which is awesome, but when I'm hanging on the coach and watching TV with my girlfriend, I have the iPad to read ESPN and stuff. I used to use my iPhone for that, which was fine and all, but it's certainly better on the iPad's big screen. My iPhone is now kind of like my mini-iPad that I use when I'm away from home...plus it's a phone which is great:p

No matter how you slice it though, the iPad is a $500+ luxury device if you already own a decent computer and an iPhone. If you can afford it, it's nice to have...but you can certainly live without one.

7. tstarks33 macrumors regular

Oh wow, a "I have a computer and iphone, what is the ipad used for" thread! I haven't seen one of these in the last 9 seconds.

8. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

+1:D
    [​IMG]

9. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I mainly just use my iPad 2 to fart around on. It really is a luxury device and really does nothing unique my MBP could do, but I enjoy it. I mainly use it to surf the next and sometimes read PDFs. If I want to download stuff off the web, I use my MBP since the iPad relies on iTunes to add media (mp3s, ebooks) to it. I originally also wanted to use it as an ebook reader, but it hasn't replaced my iPhone for that. I mainly read in bed and the iPad is too big for comfortable bed reading. Same analogy would be: do you prefer to read from a hardcover or softcover while laying horizontal in bed.

That said, it's a fun gadget. if I didn't have the money or didn't have to share my MBP with the wife, I'd probably not buy one.

10. 482214 macrumors 6502

I was in Heathrow Terminal 5 last week... A guy was standing in the arrivals area just by the metal barrier. He was reading the arrival times on his ipad - while it was displayed on the airport in house system. Then he went on to try and hold the ipad while using his mobile without looking awkward.

He looked like a fool!

11. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Oh wow...some geek surfing MR's taking the time to complain about thread etiquette. Relax bro...people don't piggy back on aging huge threads because no one responds. So much easier to post your own and get quick advice.

12. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

h8isgr8.

i use my iPad 1 for media consumption mostly, and I find it a great tool to have with me, in the backpack, for searching, and reading on the go.

13. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

This reminds of that video where that British guy is making fun of tourists running around with their iPads. It shows them staring at a 10 inch screen while they have the Eiffel tower, coliseum, Mt Rushmore, etc behind them in the background.

This is why I don't bring my iPad out in public.

14. crawler1975 macrumors regular

crawler1975

I use my Ipad as a tool for my business. I am into photography and most of the time I am out meeting up with clients. It's thin and light so it is perfect. Now I don't need to bring my laptop with me for presentations.:D

15. blevins321 macrumors 68030

My iPad2 replaced a 2010 MBP that I sold. The only thing that is lacking from my normal use is a World of Warcraft app (but I do that on my iMac). I use the 3G more than I thought I would - it's much faster than my 3GS.

16. tstarks33 macrumors regular

You have a list of your apple products in your sig and you call ME the geek? :)

And are those "aging huge threads" not longer applicable? I guess I am tired of people asking for others to justify the existence of the ipad. It's been going on for over a year now.

17. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I bought mine to write on, but I'm also discovering how it's the perfect tool for managing my social media sites (Twitter, Facebook, blogs), for researching and collecting information for my stories, general news/media browsing, as well as some playtime.

18. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

What's the big deal? Some people are still curious as to whether they really need one themselves, and asking others what tasks they use it for is one way to help in making that decision. Checking the iPad out in the store isn't the same as hearing from others about the various tasks they use it for and seeing if you'd use it for those types of things.

Just don't click on these types of threads if they annoy you. Much less take time to post in them.

19. Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

^Agree. I try explaining that to all my friends but they don't get it. Heck, I don't think I get it but for really simple tasks the iPad is just easier. And you won't realize just what a simple mindless task is until you have an iPad. I can't even look at email on my mbp anymore due to the simplicity and layout of it on my iPad. Another example is when I'm looking up something on a map I never use the mbp anymore. It's so much easier to do it on the iPad. I know some of you will say,"that's what an iPhone is for" but I have an iPhone and since I've had my iPad all I use the iPhone for is making phone calls and texting. I prefer the 10" screen;)

20. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Reading and posting to MacRumors from my couch mostly.

21. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

I still mainly do e-mail on my laptop.

Typing is too much a hassle on the on screen keyboard. Plus I mainly use my university e-mail, and I can only receive from that account on the iPad, replies go through my gmail since my university doesn't provide an outgoing smtp server for devices like the iPad or smartphones.

I don't like sending work e-mails from my gmail account as I don't check it often (it along with my hotmail are used mainly for online orders etc. so I don't get so much spam in my work e-mail).

So I only use it when traveling and try to limit replying to e-mails so I don't get e-mail chains moved form my work e-mail to gmail. So even then I more often end up logging into the groupwise webaccess thing in safari and replying to e-mails through there when traveling.

But that's no fault of the iPad. Just a fault of work not allowing outgoing e-mails from off network devices other than through the webaccess portal.

22. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can setup Gmail to "Send As" your university email address (work too). If they have SMTP available, Gmail can actually use the university servers to send messages. If it doesn't, it will send From:gmail On Behalf Of: university. Most programs will pick up on this and only display the university address.

I have 6 accounts setup in Gmail right now - 1 personal, 3 university (grad/undergrad/applied), 2 nonprofit (web designer). They all send through native servers except for personal, which is Gmail itself.

23. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Seriously? This is too much. Most of them don't have many replies and are not that old:

[​IMG]

24. LarzStarz macrumors member

The repeated thread police are out in full force today! Pull over, PULL OVER!!!!