What do you use to back up your copy protected movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macnfab, Aug 13, 2009.

1. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I have one PC left here, and it only serves one purpose to back up my extensive movie collection. I use AnyDVD as my decryption and 1clickcopyDVD as my compression/burn softwares.

Solving this problem is the only thing between me and a new iMac. I can't part with my last pc until i master burning/compressing/decryption on my macbook. I know from what i have read it's not so simple on my mac, but if anyone who has been there and done that could help! I have downloaded
    mac the ripper
    DVD2oneX2
    iSkySoft DVD copy

i just can't seem to get it?? and my super drive dosen't seem to like my fugi disc either, which i have been burning with for years with no issue.

Thanks in advance:apple:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I would use MacTheRipper, or try using HandBrake.

3. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I will second Handbrake, I have used it in the past and it works well, you just need to fiddle with the settings. I would then look to Visual Hub for compressing the video to whatever format you want from there.

-iGrant

4. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Wait, you're trying to make physical copies of your discs, correct? If so, then HandBrake isn't the correct tool. That program transcodes the DVD to make an iTunes-compatible file.

To decrypt the DVD try FairMount. I'm not sure what a good burning program would be. Maybe Toast?

5. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

so many.. I am taking notes!

Thanks guys keep it coming!:D

6. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Safari/530.17)

RipIt.

7. tripletaker macrumors member

Use MactheRipper or RipIt to rip the DVD. Use Handbrake to convert it. Add it to my iTunes library.

Settings are up to you. Try it a chapter with different settings until you get one you like. Try using the best and biggest screen you have.

8. glap1922 macrumors regular

I second this. I too use MactheRipper followed by Handbrake, but I don't use itunes, much happier with Plex.

9. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

10. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Thanks guys not sure how itunes plays in, I am trying to make hard coppies to another disc. maybe i wasn't clear on that part

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, most of the posts are telling you how to just rip to your HD and play through iTunes, Plex, VLC, etc.

Your best bet is MacTheRipper and Toast, although it is not foolproof
    From what I understand, the better solutions are Windows based for what you want to do

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

WHy use Handbrake with Plex?

13. macnfab thread starter macrumors regular

macnfab

Maybe i will always have one windows pc for backing up movies and downloading tunes... I just I will just keep the one i have going, cause i really don't see myself ever buying another new pc:eek:

I am a total convert:apple::apple::apple:

But it seems this task is much harder with mac...

There isn't one software that handles any possible encryption and another that does compression/burning?

Why can't anydvd and 1clickcopydvd just make platforms for MAC?? ughh:confused: