what do you use to clean mbp keyboard?

atticus27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
hey I was wondering what everyone uses to clean their keyboards. I used baby wipes on my old white macbook, but I don't wanna use it on my macbook pro, since I'm not sure if the liquid would seap into the keyboard backlighting or not

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
How to clean Apple products

Apple also gives instructions on how to clean your Mac in the User Guides for the MBA, MBP and iMac:
Cleaning your Mac When cleaning the outside of your Mac and its components, first shut down your Mac, and then unplug the power adapter. Then use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the Mac exterior. Avoid getting moisture in any openings. Do not spray liquid directly on the computer. Do not use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives that might damage the finish.

Cleaning the Mac screen To clean your Mac screen, first shut down your Mac and unplug the power adapter. Then use a soft, lint-free cloth dampened with just water and wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.
Also, you'll find plenty of suggestions by searching through the many existing threads on this topic.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Microfiber cloth dampened with tap water will clean anything and everything on a MacBook Pro.
Except the glass screen. Then you need a dry microfiber cloth to polish it after wiping with the damp one.

DrKockter

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
those eye glass cleaners work like a charm

insexpensive and cheap at any eye rotor place

Reidan

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I have used eye glass wipes too. They clean the plastic keys well, but leaves finger print oils on the touch pad. I have found that alcohol wipes are good at removing the oils from the touch pad surface. But I do not use them on the keys as I do not know if it would discolor the keys.