Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HitmanX

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
I have faith in the screen, so I'm not using any protective shield on it. I have been using the polishing cloth, that came with the iPhone, since day one, but I have misplaced it. What are some other products that you guys use? Do you think a microfiber cloth, will do the trick? Thanks

ejrizo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Los Angeles
my shirt or my sleeve or my jeans lol just about any cloth

im serious too... not one scratch .. and have had it since "Jesus Friday" "iDay" or whatever other name you got for June 29th 2007 :)

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
You could use any eyeglass cleaning cloth available at any pharmacy. Although you could use just a regular cloth (e.g. shirt), I still recommend the microfiber eyeglass clothes. Ask anyone that uses eyeglasses made from glass (like me). Even optical glass can scratch, although it is much much more difficult to scratch than any plastic. Just play it safe and get microfiber cleaning clothes. I keep one at my house, in my office and in my car... plus I usually take one with me.

Also, the microfiber clothes actually do a much better job of cleaning the screen. Dirt, oils and smudges wipe away with ease with a microfiber cloth, whereas a regular cloth doesn't do an effective job. If you want to save money, some auto supply stores sell fine microfiber chamois that you can cut up into smaller pieces. Just get the ones without piles.

rhomsy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
On a related note, and since I brought up going to an auto supply store in my last post, I read somewhere that some guy was putting Rain-X on the screen of his iPhone. I'm not sure where I saw it (it might have even been MR). I suppose smudges would wipe away even easier with Rain-X, but I'd be afraid that the silicon liquid would seep into the circuitry during the application and somehow damage the unit. Have fun explaining that kind of disaster to the Apple Genius.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
On a related note, and since I brought up going to an auto supply store in my last post, I read somewhere that some guy was putting Rain-X on the screen of his iPhone. I'm not sure where I saw it (it might have even been MR). I suppose smudges would wipe away even easier with Rain-X, but I'd be afraid that the silicon liquid would seep into the circuitry during the application and somehow damage the unit. Have fun explaining that kind of disaster to the Apple Genius.

I don't see how rain-x would help wipe smudges away any easier. It is meant to disperse the particles of water. The water molecular compounds are what's interacting with the chemical, not smudges which are (in no scientific terms) greasy streaks from sweat, food, just general skin excretion, etc

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
no need to get crazy with the products. it's glass, and cleans nicely with a wipe of my clean cotton t-shirt, or any other clean soft fabric nearby. I think those cleaning products are more suited to easily scratched surfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.