What do you use to clean your Retina screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SRLMJ23, Jan 30, 2017.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Silly question, I know. However, I used to use Whoosh but then I read that Apple does not sell it in their stores or online because it can cause issues with the anti-reflective coating (and on iPads the oleophobic coating.) Do you guys use just plain old glasses cleaner or what? Usually I just use the microfiber that comes with the Retina MacBook Pro (mine is a Early-2015 13") but sometimes things get on the screen that require some liquid along with a microfiber. I just got a new screen on my rMBP (covered by Apple because my rMBP is still under its original warranty) because there was some dead pixels that just suddenly showed up on the old screen, so I am trying to be as careful as possible. I know that spray on the screen does not cause dead pixels, like I said just trying to be careful and not ruin the anti-reflective coating or anything. Thanks in advance!

:apple:

2. Nathan King macrumors member

Nathan King

Use a blower bulb to remove as much dust from the area as possible. Dust is extremely abrasive. Lightly moisten a small part of your microfiber cloth with distilled water and wipe very gently.

3. psun786 macrumors member

I use air blower and then Zeiss Pre-Moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes. If it is safe for camera lens, it should be safe for your mac's screen

4. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Camera lens don't have oleophobic coating that may get damaged with chemicals. I'm sure it can't damage glass, but that's not the point.

You'll probably be fine, but I use only microfiber cloths dampened into mild water.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Mild water? o_O Sounds like a marketing term :D

I just use those screen cleaning thingy-ma-bobs you get from all over, I'm sure it's just full of this mild water chemical composition but it does the job and never had any issues.

6. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

iklear and a microfibre cloth. I have used this combination for years without issue.

7. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Microfiber towel from Lowe's and tap water. Use compressed air to get under the keys on the keyboard.

8. eroslws macrumors 6502

This. Used to work at Apple Retail a long time ago and this is what we used back then. I noticed they use something different now...

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Works really well on the aluminium body too.

10. nikster0029 Contributor

nikster0029

Whoosh! Best product ever. No streaking. Officially what Apple uses

11. campyguy macrumors 68040

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-clean-a-mbp.1949947/#post-22460021

Use distilled water and a microfiber cloth. QED, and save your money.

One can buy a gallon of distilled water for the price of one of those 50ml bottle of "cleaners". Decent microfiber cloths can be purchased pretty much anywhere for not a lot of coin.

Water is a solvent. Distilled water is an even more effective solvent. Tap water includes dissolved solids like silica, copper, iron - solids that blot, micro-scratch, and conduct electricity. "Cleaners" like Whoosh! and iKlear are overhyped, proprietary products from companies with marketing budgets and not-disclosed ingredient lists - but, look online for their MSDS documents and you might be a bit surprised that these "nifty" products include products you'll find in a grocery store (like distilled water!).

Regularly reviewing MSDSs since 1993… Wearing scratch-free glasses since 1972…

12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

13. SRLMJ23 thread starter macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Thank you all for your responses! I will look into these products that you have all recommended and let you know which one I pick! Thanks again!

:apple:

14. MrGuder macrumors 68020

15. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

16. TheScavenger macrumors 6502

TheScavenger

Microfiber cloth and some elbow grease.

If that fails then I just do the Pantene treatment.