What do you use to concatenate *mts snippets?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Cox Orange, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Cox Orange macrumors 68000

Hi,

my PVR records TV in *mts snippets of each 512MB (several of them in a row are e.g. one movie or series's episode). (They are both SD mpeg2 and HD x264 under the hood)

On my Mac I need to concatenate them.

I used to use Avidemux

put files in Avidemux. Cut. Then:
    video output: copy
    audio output: copy
    output format: mpeg TS muxer (ffmpeg)
    or mpeg PS muxer (ffmpeg)

Then I read that it creates non compliant files (?!?!?)

I was recommended mkvtoolnix
    https://mkvtoolnix.download/downloads.html

advantages:
    - compliant files
    - tracks not needed can be eliminated (video-text, subtitles, other language tracks)
    - FillerBytes (Nalu, Null-Bytes), can be eliminated, too => saves space but doesn't change quality/bitrate one bit

disadvantage:
    - no "Quickview" preview in Finder
    - as far as I could test with mkv files from the internet they are not smooth/easy to scroll through in VLC.

What do you use?

Again, I don't want to encode them (change the bitrate / quality). I want to keep the original file just without the trash and not as several parts.

I found this https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/convert-avchd-mts-to-mov.1308610/ but it doesn't first concatenate the snippets and cut of trash at beginning and end as far as I understand and mpegstreamclip is missing a component to read *mts.

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I have a couple PVRs that record in the same format. These are AVCHD type files and most of the free AVCHD converters on the apple store should handle them when the original is decent quality (in the fine print they may mention .mts files). OTA broadcast video can be good quality, but more often than not there are drop outs that most of the free stuff won't handle well.

I now use BigaSoft ProRes converter with a couple parameter tweaks to pull video out of .mts files more reliably. They offer a free trial, see if that works for you. It is overkill for most situations, but when you need the power, it can be a big time saver.

A lot of these are GUI in front of ffmeg. BigaSoft's GUI allows you to tinker with the ecode/transcode values.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's been a while since I've used it, but I think tsMuxer can losslessly join the files. The result will still be in a TS format.

4. Cox Orange thread starter macrumors 68000

5. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

tsMuxer works quite well but make sure you use the "join" rather than "add" when setting up your series of files in tsMuxer. I have used it with m2ts files mostly and it works very well.