What do you use to manage your money?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidg4781, Jun 19, 2009.

?

How do you manage your money?

1. Financial Software

62.2%
  2. Checkbook Register

2.7%
  3. Spreadsheet

2.7%
  4. I just look it up online

29.7%
  5. Notebook paper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I just worry about it when my card gets declined

2.7%
  1. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

So I think I'm finally fed up with Quicken and in my search for a better financial management program, I've found out a lot of my friends don't use any financial management software:eek::eek:!

So I'm curious what others do. I've used Quicken/Money since 1996 when I first had a computer. For a few years I didn't have one (early days of computing) I used the checkbook register.

What do y'all use and why?

And of course, since I'm looking for financial management software, I will take recommendations. I would VERY MUCH (read: must) like to have one that can download my transactions from the internet. I'm currently using Quicken 2006 and want something new. I was beta testing Quicken Financial Life, but they updated and I wasn't able to download the update. MS Money is not an option as I'm a Mac user and don't want to bother loading Windows just for that.

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I'd used Quicken since about 1995, updating every 3 years or so. Most recently I was using Quicken 2005 & I tried the Quicken Financial Life beta (a couple of different releases). I also tried many different personal financial programs & decided on Moneydance. I wanted something that would run natively on my Intel Macs & Moneydance is written in Java.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I use Quicken 2007 Home & Business. I've looked high and low for a replacement for my mac, but to no avail. Good luck in your quest.:)

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

7. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

9. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

Mint.com is great
    quicken online is good too and seems to accept more small banks and CUs.
    I personally like mint better though

10. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

Quicken online is free, isn't it? I think I tried it out, but there was some reason why I didn't like it. Part of it could have been the fee.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

12. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

13. emt1 macrumors 65816

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I run a business and have at least 20 accounts that I use Quicken to manage and access online. Would any of the online services mentioned work for me?

Also, what about running reports and exporting to a spreadsheet? Scheduled transactions?

15. chandsa Guest

Have you checked out this software....

....Moneydance is a pretty good application that I have found. It is quite simple, doesn't have the annoying ad's that accompany M$ Money, Quicken. I am hell bent against allowing the program to connect to my bank online and download the statements. I usually download them myself and then import all the transactions into Moneydance. Just google it and they do offer a trial version in case you want to try it out.

I believe they are working on a new release, but the creator doesn't mention how soon they plan on releasing the newer version.

16. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68000

So those of you that are using Quicken, what are you planning to do when you upgrade to Snow Leopard?

I'd like to not install Rosetta, as the only applications I use it for are Office and Quicken. I can certainly do without Office, but I cannot do without Quicken. I've tried some of the other money management software, but I haven't come across any that made me want to buy them.

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme