What do you use to play videos on your intel mac

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I've tried VLC, and for the most part its great. but then again there have been a handfull of files that wither didnt play at all, had no video , or had no sound. Flip for mac has yet to be released... and so I'm stuck wishing for a player or plugs/codecs that can do it all for me, what do YOU GUYS USE? REMEMBER, INTEL , not POWERPC :)

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
I use VLC. Most AVI/MPG stuff seems to play ok, but very few WMV files work. I guess that we'll have to wait for flip4mac.

You can get the current flip4mac working if you don't use the installer and use the PPC version of quicktime, but you have a performance hit from rosetta, and it's not bug free.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Sorry, no such luck :(
Don't blame VLC either, it's not really a VLC problem as much as it is the people with the codecs that don't work.

Quicktime + VLC + mplayer + windows media player + a handful of codecs manages to cover about 90% of what I watch...everything else on Windows.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
Did u compile mplayer yourself? I cant seem to find the precompiled binary for intel macs :(

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
VLC. when flip4mac finally becomes UB, I'll be set. Til then im just forced to watch .wmvs on my 30" sigh...

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
MPlayer OSX 1.0pre8 is my default player, as I really love its keyboard playback mapping (left to rewind skip, right to forward skip). I thinks it's almost as good as VLC at handling AVI (Indeo, Cinepak, DiVX, XViD), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and older WMV, although it's not so quite stable yet (and possibly memory leak?).

I use QuickTime 7.1 to play MOV (older QuickTime, MPEG-4 H.263/H.264), occasional DiVX (via official DiVX codec beta), and WMV-9 (via Popwire WMV-9 codec). Flip4Mac 2.2 private beta will be distributed in days, so I will probably replace the later with it.

I use RealPlayer 10.1 to play Real contents.