What do you use to remote desktop at home?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markfc, May 30, 2007.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I have an iMac at home and my Macbook, apart from OSXVNC, what other free remote desktop packages are available?

I'd like to use Apple's Remote Desktop but it's a bit expensive for a home solution.

What do you use?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I'm not sure if you're aware that Apple's Remote Desktop server is free. The client software is expensive.

Anyway, for the server, the best (only?) alternatives are Apple's built in Remote Desktop server and OSXVnc, now known as Vine Server. The built in Remote Desktop works fine. I've used both. But Vine Server has more options, including being able to specify only ssh connections are allowed, and also you can specify the display number, which is always :0 with the built in server.

As for viewers, mkrishnan is right about CotV. It connects to both Apple's Remote Desktop server and Vine Server. You can also use any other VNC viewer (e.g. TightVnc or RealVnc) from any other OS to access Vine Server, but you can only connect to Apple's Remote Desktop server with CotV or TightVnc because only those two recognize the version number returned.

4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Don't forget to use a strong password for the VNC connections. Otherwise you're going to have people playing around with your box.