Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucsdmac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have VMware fusion running XP Pro on my MBP and here are the only 2 reasons I have used it so far:
1. OneNote: since I'm a student and OneNote makes it really easy to take notes and I have not yet found a similar program for OS X
2. give help to my friends who are running windows. I'm the most technologically aware of the bunch, so when I get questions on how to do little miscellaneous things I turn on my windows.

what about you guys/gals?:cool:

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Use it in bootcamp to run engineering programs that aren't available on Mac unfortunately and also to help others, gives me something to refer to when people are phoning me left right and centre for advice and help!!!

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
PokerStars, baby. :D

And basically anything else that I might need to use Windows for. But mostly I just like knowing that it's there and that my 'book is compatible with 99% of all software out there. :)

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I need Windows to use Citrix to access an application at work from my home. Other than that I would have little or no use for it.

Isn't there a Citrix client for OS X? I haven't used it in years, but I have run Citrix from my Mac to run Windows apps at school.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I run parallels on my MacBook as coherence is brilliant. Makes using windows rather painless.

Anyway, I use it for the VPN at work, some microsoft IDEs, some obscure radiation measurement software and for my really old pc games.

So basically stuff I can't do on OS X

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
EAC

Office - I need .docx support at the moment and 08 is utter tripe and I am not going to use some converters to change the file format everytime and deal with all the problems therein.

Fluent

Quite a few other programs that link to lab machines that don't have mac counterparts.

jbcandkc

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
I don't use it at all, but my wife is a Realtor and she uses it to log onto her Multiple Listing Service website and runs an app that handles all the contracts and forms she uses.

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Bootcamp for:

F95 IDE for programming in my degree
Playstation Store
MSN Messenger Audio/Webcam
Paint.NET
Having slides in Powerpoint display correctly (Office 2008 is ANNOYING me!)
Generally keeping my sanity when OS X doesn't work how I want it

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Stupid games (really stupid) that aren't available on the Mac platform. I guess that's why they weren't developed for Mac OS :D

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
SAS (statistical software)

I need it for class, and my future job.

*anger*

They used to support Mac OS....why not more??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.