Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I’ll be ordering mine soon and my absolute biggest use will probably be in the gym and going on hikes without my phone

Other than that not sure how I’ll use it, but I definitely wanna try going phone less for a day just as a fun little experiment

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’ll be ordering mine soon and my absolute biggest use will probably be in the gym and going on hikes without my phone

Other than that not sure how I’ll use it, but I definitely wanna try going phone less for a day just as a fun little experiment

Quite simply when I have to go to the store quickly or run a few errands where I don't necessarily need to have my iPhone tethered to me or I can take a quick call or message. That's where I find it most convenient for me.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Though running with it is the main reason I bought it, i work in a large building and it’s been really great to go to other offices in my building and not have to take my phone with me, yet still respond quickly to work related texts.

Achilles75

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
1) Cardio (running/walking) with music or podcasts and no phone
2) Moving around my office, home, and yard without having to put the phone in a pocket
3) Running short errands around town

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I didn't have LTE on my AW, but have it now on my Gear S3... I think the "loves" of my use cases still apply. I use the watch a lot in the gym. Being able to stream music, and have calls and texts forwarded from my phone are the main LTE uses. I do go into stores now and pay with it, and the same applies... I can have calls/texts forwarded. But honestly, unless its really quick like picking up takeout or something, I would bring my phone into a store. I often like to look things up on Amazon to compare prices.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Going to gym without iPhone. But I really love the peace of mind from owning and wearing a backup phone in the event something happened (knock on wood) to my iPhone.

Reactions: Ghost31

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Not sure that I would say that I "Love" any of these features but the ones I use the most: make / receive Phone calls, Apple Pay, SMS Txts, iMesssages, check calendar and finally respond to urgent emails.

Dave

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
I’m coming to a point where U can either upgrade my phone or go PAYG. However I’ve been toying with the option buying the iWatch with Cellular instead of using a phone. How practically viable is this in reality?

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
The watch is not ready to be a full function stand-alone device. Battery life is just to short. It is only rated at 1 hr total talk time on Cellular. Also you can't use the watch on a PAYG plan only post-paid carrier plans. The watch also requires NumberSyc, NumberShare or Digits to share the iPhone's phone number.

Now what is missing on the watch: Watch apps are not very mature, only a handful of apps are actually "Native" to the watch and don't require an iPhone for full function. Without a host iPhone the watch can't connect to any new Wi-Fi networks.

SMS/MMS text messaging requires that your synced smartphone must be powered on so SMS/MMS messages may be forwarded to your watch. iMessage must be enabled and your smartphone must be connected to the cellular network via either a cellular or Wi-Fi connection. If using a Wi-Fi connection, your smartphone must have Wi-Fi calling activated.

Dave

broadbean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
Streaming Apple Music was surreal. Being able to make calls when you left the phone in the office is great too. Wife called me one time from her Watch as she left her phone at home.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX

I think the best part about LTE on the watch is that you don't know when you're using your iPhone connection or using the watch's LTE. It's seamless. If you're using Airbuds (which are a virtual necessity to get full utility / enjoyment from the watch), you can be making calls, getting texts etc. etc. and the proximity of your phone is irrelevant.
[doublepost=1533134279][/doublepost]
I’m coming to a point where U can either upgrade my phone or go PAYG. However I’ve been toying with the option buying the iWatch with Cellular instead of using a phone. How practically viable is this in reality?

Going phone-less isn't really an option due to battery constraints. My S3 will go at least two days between charges when mostly being connected to my iPhone, but you burn the battery pretty quickly if you're streaming music or making calls on the watch's LTE.

However, I decided to get a watch and airbuds instead of updating my 6S, and it was definitely the right choice (once I'd had Apple replace the phone's battery to end throttling).

Last edited:
Reactions: Applebot1

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I think the best part about LTE on the watch is that you don't know when you're using your iPhone connection or using the watch's LTE. It's seamless. If you're using Airbuds (which are a virtual necessity to get full utility / enjoyment from the watch), you can be making calls, getting texts etc. etc. and the proximity of your phone is irrelevant.

Going phone-less isn't really an option due to battery constraints. My S3 will go at least two days between charges when mostly being connected to my iPhone, but you burn the battery pretty quickly if you're streaming music or making calls on the watch's LTE.

However, I decided to get a watch and airbuds instead of updating my 6S, and it was definitely the right choice (once I'd had Apple replace the phone's battery to end throttling).

Haha, same! Still rocking my 6S too, as the watch took priority.

Reactions: rayward

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I used to hate the limited music selection on my Series 2 because it had to be downloaded in advance. Now, with streaming, it doesn’t matter if the music is downloaded or not. I can go for a run and listen to just about anything. Including radio stations. I love that!

Reactions: broadbean

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

9614E726-3C2B-447A-A5DB-102B4BEF5A40.jpeg

Last edited:

GRT89521

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2018
This weekend I was sitting at the beach, streaming music to a waterproof Bluetooth speaker, while my phone was safely stowed away in my hotel room.

Reactions: rayward

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I use it at the gym for sure (music from watch, iPhone in locker) but it piggybacks on the gym wifi so that's technically not LTE. I like it for moments when I run out on errands and forget my watch. When my watch is in my office and I take a break, or go to lunch. I also enjoy having it as a backup if my phone battery dies when I am out.

It is a little $10 a month backup plan, essentially.

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Running with music (AirPods), then Apple Pay at the coffee shop on way back. Nothing in my pockets, just keys in the key holder.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I go for a morning walk. iPhone X stays at home. AirPods and Apple Watch are all I need. Podcasts, music, and iBooks. If a call comes in, I can answer it. A text message and I can reply.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Running with music (AirPods), then Apple Pay at the coffee shop on way back. Nothing in my pockets, just keys in the key holder.

Jealous. If I can use Apple Pay I wouldn’t have to take anything with me on the run because my building using fingerprint scanner, and my door is pin coded.

macophile90

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2018
I just got my Series 3 Nike+ Cellular and im thinking about purchasing an eSim for it. I would use it to stream Music over LTE for 1-2 hours in the gym or just walking around the neighborhood without my phone. So, how is the battery drain for 1-2 hours of streaming Music over LTE if you started with 100%?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, im a newbie :S

Reactions: Baldrake

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
Jealous. If I can use Apple Pay I wouldn’t have to take anything with me on the run because my building using fingerprint scanner, and my door is pin coded.
Apple Pay works with no internet.
I carry my android phone and wear wifi apple watch (no internet connection until I get home). I still use Apple Pay at the stores.
and the card use notification pops up on my android phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.