What do you use your G5 for?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Appleboy1717, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Appleboy1717 macrumors regular

Hey.
    I was wondering what you all use your G5's for?
    Anyone use them for an entertainment center?
    I have mine in my room and use it to store all my videos and movies and use it to surf the web and mainly watch TV shows and movies on. And it's a heater:)

What abouy guys??

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Yes they do make excellent space heaters. Combined that along with my Xbox 360 and my room felt like an oven with them both running lol. The Mini replaced my G5. Only thing I miss now is the internal storage the G5 had.

3. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the drive storage in the G5 and all the hookups are nice:)
    haha. Those 360's get pretty hot don't they.

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

light 3d rendering, general net dutys, 720P video's, music player, main storage, media server for my ps3, general photoshop work, think thats about it,

it does most of what i want in a timely fashion but the 3D rendering is slowly taking longer and longer lol
    G5 PM 2.0Ghz W/ 4Gb DDR ram, 2.5Tb storage

5. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

6. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice. Some people still use it as there primary machine.
    What does it do as the PS3 media center? Like stores the stuff??

7. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

PS3 media server wouldnt work for me, i just use medialink now lol it dont transcode but it works for most other things, 500Gb ps3 helps too haha

8. junker macrumors 6502

junker

primary G5

Haha - I guess I'm one of the few using it as primary....I have a macbook too but love my G5. I've got 1.5 TB and 6 GB RAM in it and it can do just about anything I throw at it.

I wish I could buy a Mac Pro ...but the dollar doesnt go as far for me these days... maybe one day. Still love my G5 though!

9. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro too, but really like using the G5 also. Using it now. lol.

10. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

My 5 year old uses it to play Age of Mythology. I'm hoping one day he'll stumble on 'pages' and write something... ;)

11. vohdoun macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Pretty much what I do too. I have a octo Mac Pro in the other room but there's something about the G5 I love. Plus the fact the G5 was my first Mac and still is my primary machine.

12. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

There seems to be something about the G5's that people are crazy about. haha.

13. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

yeah, it's a great machine and as the only expandable desktop next to the mac pro, people are going to love it, it was my first proper powermac that could actually do what i wanted, when i wanted to lol, they're still good today for adding ram and Hard drives and graphics cards for multiple monitors, not so good for up to date software and such but i think they'll always have some kind of use for many years to come,

at least until apple decides to bring a lower spec mac pro type machine with a dual or quad core cpu for less then 2K ;)

14. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, they are really cheap, and work really well and stuff. I am really happy with mine.
    Loaded with 1.5tb and 5gb of ram.

15. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

anyone else? What do you use your G5 for?

16. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Up until a couple months ago I used a Dual 2.7 as my main machine.

I used Aperture 2, Illustrator, Photoshop, music and movies, ripping DVDs, etc.. I had it plugged into my TV for playing movies and TV shows too. Worked great, but it was noisy as hell, had to start turning it off at night to sleep.

It grenaded itself, and now I'm on a MP. I could do everything on the G5 that the MP can, except for newer versions of software and it was just slower, not even comparable in terms of speed, and the MPs are SUPER quiet. It's nice having an Intel machine, just for future upgrades and compatibility. I'd wouldn't go out and buy a G5 now, that'd be silly unless you need legacy support. When PPC was all there was, the G5s were king of the hill.

17. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Everyone says they are loud, but my G5 just stays at the idle fans always. It like never speeds up unless I am converting a video and only for a second.
    I like it and it does its job pretty well.

18. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Well, people say it cause it's true. It's that simple. ;)

It has nothing to do with fans speeding up, even at the default speeds, the fans are, compared to newer machines, noisy.

I switched mine with ultra silent fans back in the days when I used a G5. Now that was a really silent machine, absolutely worth the hassle to strip that thing to its bones. :D

But still, the new Mac Pro definitely is more silent (only considering the fan speeds since everybody uses different hard drives), even if you've got 1600% CPU load that thing remains really discreet.

19. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

I heard the Mac Pros are a lot quieter. The G5 however does not really seem that loud. With normal use the fans are all under 1000rpm and seem relatively quite.
    This is fun. Who else?

20. villagemusicman macrumors newbie

I know this is regarding G5's (which i nearly bought instead of a Mac Pro back in the day) but i've still got my G4 Silver up and running and it serves me pretty well, with net duties, DVD DL burning etc. Plus as mentioned previously, if you fire that up with a 360, you have your own personal sauna!!!

Don't get me started on my 604e 9600!!! Now that was and still is a thing of OS 9 bay u tee!

21. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

It's still my primary machine. Dual 2.0 rev B from 2005. Browse web, play games (mostly Blizzard games), watch movies here and there. I used to do a lot of video editing but haven't so much in the last couple of years.

I was thinking about building an i7-core PC, but now I am thinking about saving up $ until new MPs are released and either getting one of those or one of the current-gen MPs at a discount.

I refuse to get an iMac...I have to have the tower. I'd rather have a Windows-based tower than an iMac or Macbook.

22. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Nice. Yeah, I am not a huge fan of the imacs either. They are nice and small and look nice (my parents have one) but they do not seem to last as long as the towers do. Why not a macbook? When it comes to laptops I love them. The Mac Pros seem to be pretty nice. Real powerful and nice and quit.

23. Wonderl33t macrumors newbie

I am not a laptop person. If I had to get a laptop, I would probably get an Apple.

24. snakesqzns macrumors regular

snakesqzns

I've been considering getting a G5 recently. Some really nice ones have been selling for $350 on ebay.

25. Appleboy1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, to be honest, they are still a nice pretty fast computer.
    They are upgradable and cheap. They do everything I like.
    What would you use it for? What model are you interested in? Just load it with ram and your good.