What do you use your iBook/s for?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 23, 2014.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

I thought it would be fun to make a thread solely about iBooks and what we use ours for. As we all know, there are still vast amounts of uses for a PowerPC Mac, but I wanted to focus on consumer-grade Apple laptops from 1999-2005.

For most, they still make great casual-usage machines for on-the-go or on-the-couch computing. While their design may seem overly simple at first-glance, the architecture of these machines is without much compromise at all. We are all fond of the comfortable track-pad and palm rests, and certainly the keyboard, which is one of the best keyboards in any laptop, next to those in PowerBooks. And whether I am speaking about the original 'clamshell' or the 'snow' G3s and iBook G4s, the same can be said for all of them. (although I do think the 'clamshell' has the most comfortable keyboard/palm rests). Personally, I own an Indigo 'clamshell', a 14", 600Mhz G3 'snow', and two iBook G4s 12" models (800Mhz & 1.07Ghz). The 'snow' G3s seem to be the least popular out of the three, but I'd like to know your guys' input. I really enjoyed using my 'snow' G3, before the hard drive died. I don't use my 'clamshell' because of its tiny hard drive, low screen resolution, etc. (also less practical to carry around, and I don't want to put wear & tear on it). I also, at one point, had a 1.33Ghz iBook G4 12", but I returned it to whom I purchased it from, on account of certain complications. I DID forget to mention that I have 3 total iBook G4s. The 3rd one was actually my first-ever iBook G4, and it's a very-broken 1.2Ghz model. (and in case you guys were wondering, I modded the Apple logo on my 1.07Ghz iBook G4, so that it appears/glows red).

Here is a little bit about the iBook I use and what I use it for:

Last year, I acquired two 2003 iBook G4's (12") from one of my teachers, who was the original owner. I first got the 1.07Ghz model, which was nice. However, it had the issue where the keyboard membrane gets bent and pushes up against the space-bar, from underneath... it really made it annoying to type on. I then got the 800Mhz model, which had a less-significant keyboard issue, which I ended up fixing. I WAS going to use the 1.07Ghz model over the 800Mhz model, until I found out that the hard drive in the 800Mhz model had been upgraded to a 150GB drive. Not only was that a big advantage over the 30GB HD, in size, but it also makes for better performance. (I upgraded the RAM to 768MB... hope I can come across 1GB). So, that made this machine my main iBook. I use it on-the-go if I don't want to worry about transporting my way-more-expensive, 2009 MacBook Pro. I have taken it to school and it's quite fine.

Other than taking it places here and there, and using it casually around the house, I also used it every day during a grueling A.P. U.S. History summer course. I CONSTANTLY took notes on the thing, and I had no trouble with its awesome keyboard. I don't even think too much more wear was put into it either, even though I used it heavily. I used it for email, typing documents, and even connected it to the class projector for my PowerPoint presentation. The battery life is pretty good (definitely over an hour), although I would normally keep it plugged in. Although I preferred doing certain assignments on my iMac G5 desktop at home, I used the laptop quite a bit during that class, and it held up very well. (I abused the thing with laggy MS Office 2008).

So, here is a picture of the machine. I have a cool 'PowerPC' wallpaper on it at the moment. I really enjoy using this machine; anyway, I'd like to see your iBooks and hear what you use them for! For myself, they make great secondary computers/cheap laptops for light usage. (I'm not always in the mood to use some bestial tower desktop or modern MacBook).

NOTE: You must post pictures of your machine/s and give a little background on what you use it/them for, and how you acquired it/them.

Attached Files:

2. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

While mine doesn't see much use anymore, it sits next to my hackintosh on my desk.. I'll occasionally pull it out from under my paperwork lol if I want to lounge in bed and take notes on whatever I'm studying, but my tablet does a good job of replacing it for most things. It does have a really good keyboard, and I can't stand typing on a screen. Its a 2005 1.42 w/ 1.5 gb ram and a really slow hard drive running leopard lol.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I wish I had a 14" 1.42.

4. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

My teacher, who gave me the 800Mhz and 1.07Ghz iBook G4s, also has a third one: 1.42Ghz 14" model. He has not given it to me yet, but he said "it will come". I'm pretty excited for that. Although, it seemed slow when I used it. Hopefully it just needs a re-install and not a new hard drive anytime soon. An iBook is 'totaled', in a sense, once the HD dies.

5. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

Absolutely nothing. I required them by purchasing them when they were new.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

So sell them off to someone who will love those machines.

7. gooser macrumors 6502

if one opens up mactubes and searches for "ibook guy" there are a lot of good videos on there by him that suggests uses for and maintenance on ibooks.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yep, I discovered him about a few years ago; he has gotten much more popular since, and has great videos.

9. rjcalifornia macrumors 6502a

rjcalifornia

Work.

I'm not taking my shiny and expensive macbook to my work. I work in a school and I take the bus to get there.

It does what it needs to do, and I don't have to worry if it gets stolen. Only few bucks.

10. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I use mine for school mostly, and around the house when I want to do just a few simple things like news, weather, emails, forums, etc.

I use Tiger on mine now, Leopard got to the point where it was unbearable.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Same---sometimes I hate waking up my my whole PowerMac G5 set-up to read a simple email or check something online. It's nice to have a little laptop for those things. As for Leopard, I agree... I am not sure why many try running Leopard on, say, an 800Mhz processor with 1GB of RAM. I had Leopard on my 1Ghz, 1GB RAM iMac G4, and it was slow. I am debating whether or not to upgrade my PowerBook G4 from Tiger to Leopard. I really like Tiger, but I have recently started using Leopard on PowerPC machines more, and am further getting used to it. I wanted more speed over functionality, considering it's not a main computer at all, but with a 1.5Ghz processor and 2GB of RAM, it's begging for Leopard. Tiger is great, but I guess it's best to resort to using it only if I cannot install/run Leopard [well] on a machine.

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

iBook G4 800 Mhz

I don't use it a lot anymore. It's running Panther and Safari is not good for most sites. I have Tiger discs but never installed them. Wonder if Tiger would make a difference?

iBook was purchased new. My first Apple portable. Love at first sight :)

13. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Mid 2005 12" iBook G4.

1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
    1GB RAM
    80GB HDD
    OS X Tiger
    Airport + Bluetooth
    Combo drive CD-RW drive (replaced by school?)

I purchased it just a few weeks ago with the intent to use it as a low cost, retro looking digital photo frame. Bought it on eBay for a decent price, but without the AC adapter and in questionable condition. I got lucky though. It came from a school district so it has some engraved numbers on it, and has seen a bit of use and abuse, but it is (now) 100% functional. All it needed was a new AC adapter and it fired right up.

Run of the mill specs, and it's almost 100% stock, save for the optical drive not matching the sticker (combo drive (CD/DVD) on sticker, but CD-RW in the bay, made for a complicated OS install).

I've got a clean copy of OS X Tiger installed on it with Office 2004, Photoshop CS2, TenFourFox, and iTunes 6 that I made sure not to update with the rest of the OS.

It surfs around surely but slowly, but that isn't it's purpose. It's kind of a toy, but once I get my photos on it, it will be cool to have around. I would use my iPad 1 for a photo frame if I hadn't sold it a while back.

Most impressive part is that the HDD only has 400 hours on it, no bad sectors, and works perfectly. The battery appears to be stock from 2005, has 50 cycles, and holds a charge for a few hours still :eek:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my first and only PowerPC Mac that will natively run OS X. Fun to have around. My other is a Power Macintosh 7600/132 with a 200 MHz 604e upgrade running System 7.5, OS 9, and OS X 10.2.8. An odd combination, but it just sits on a shelf. If anyone wants it they're welcome to have it :p

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Tiger would allow you to run TenFourFox at least.

15. GameFreak348 macrumors regular

I stopped using my retina macbook pro when i got my 14" 1.42Ghz, 1.5GB DDR, Radeon 9550 iBook G4. I put microsoft office 2008 on it and im using it as my main laptop for school etc. I also do alot of gaming on it, like age of empires 2 and 3, Minecraft. (If someone knows where to get Quake 3 and Starcraft 1 for free pls tell me, i searched so long but i only found couple sides and they didnt work for me). Its just so beatiful, all white and that anti glare screen. Also the keyboard is my favourite one. Since I love the iBook G4 im gonna get a Macbook 2010 which looks nearly the same as a i book G4. I kinda dont really like my retina macbook pro anymore lol. For hardcore gaming i have my mac pro :)

16. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Tiger is actually a pretty large difference in terms of compatibility; I would recommend it. It's very slightly less efficient than Panther, but still pretty light. Panther added a lot of great features, but I would personally not use anything older than Tiger on that machine.

----------

Gee, and I thought it was bad that I was letting my 2009 MacBook Pro sit! The 2010 MacBooks don't actually look anything like iBooks, but they do have the classic white plastic/polycarbonate. The older models are better though. I also love the keyboard on the iBook. I can type like 100 WPM or something on the thing!

17. GameFreak348, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

GameFreak348 macrumors regular

18. CYB3RBYTE macrumors regular

CYB3RBYTE

My second ever PPC Mac was an iBook G4 1.2GHZ I acquired off Ebay for $40 in November of 2012. It just needed a hard drive replacement, and it was ready to go!

I upgraded the RAM to 768MB, and pretty much left it that way. It ran pretty well on Leopard, but I wiped the hard drive nearly every other week because I like things tidy, plus I'm weird!:)

I loved that thing, and it was my primary laptop for a long time. About a month later though, I noticed that it would no longer take any battery power, but it would charge the battery. I finding that I would have to replace the logic board, I ordered a new one. It was getting costly to keep this machine, so I later sold it for $60.

This started a phase of mine where I bought and sold many iBooks. Later on, I had to stop because I was starting to save up for a more modern computer, which I later purchased and it was my Black Mid-2007 MacBook (SMEXY), my first Intel Mac EVER.

I wish I had a G4 laptop, it would make an excellent addition to my 2-month old MacBook Air!

19. harrymatic macrumors 6502

I picked up my 800 MHz iBook G3 back in 2009 for watching DVDs and doing work on the go. Despite being one of the famously unreliable models, I never had any problems with it. I retired it last year, although it now lives in my music studio running patch editing software for a few of my synthesizers.

20. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Nice, and glad you posted a picture! My iBook has a nice battery too, which is surprising for its age. Maybe it was used at a desk most of the time, and plugged in. (or possibly could have been replaced at one point). As for that Mac you don't have a use for, I wish I could get it! Odds are slim that we are in the same area.

----------

Nice, so you have my model. I wasn't aware of these being notorious for unreliability; what are common issues with them? I guess we are both luck then, as mine works perfectly and so does yours. Although, the original owner had to replace the HD, but that's common in any computer.

21. harrymatic macrumors 6502

It's the GPU failure where over time the connections lose contact causing graphical artefacts or no video at all. There was somewhat of a controversy back in the day causing Apple to offer a logic board replacement scheme for affected machines. That said, if these machines were going to fail they would have already done so - so it looks like we're OK! ;)

Over the years I fully upgraded mine with the full 640MB memory, Airport card, combo optical drive and 80GB hard drive. I also modded the case by removing the paint from the transparant polycarbonate panels.

22. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Aha, I read G4 originally! No wonder I was a little confused there. I have a 600Mhz G3 though, but the HD died in it. If I had a spare junky G3, that would be a cool modification, although it's annoying to get the bottom panel off. By the way, this WOULD be a complete waste of a Flower Power or Blue Dalmatian iMac, but... the print within can be peeled off simply by thoroughly wiping it down with a paper towel. That means that it would be completely and utterly clear... iMagine that on an iMac G3! :)

23. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Now that would be incredible - I can just imagine it sitting with a Harman Kardon iSub working as a iTunes jukebox in my living room... :cool:

24. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah; I guess it seems it hasn't been done/heard of online, for these reasons:

1. It would be a shame to ruin a Flower Power/Blue Dalmatian iMac

2. These iMacs are not so common in the first place

3. Not many realize that the print can even come off, as most don't go opening their iMac G3s. ;)

25. Intelligent macrumors 6502a

Intelligent

No, never. They give me nostalgic feeling just looking at them. I totally love them and I would never sell them, I just don't have a use for them.