What do you use your iPad for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MikeM87, Oct 14, 2010.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Just wondering what you guys use yours for. I love mine for browsing the net and TV shows.

2. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Surfing the net
    Directions using google maps
    Texting
    Youtubing
    Movies
    Abc tv
    Facebook/Twitter
    Taking notes
    Sports scores
    Games

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I got mine yesterday so I'm not sure yet. Right now just playing with web browsing and email. I installed Dropbox, Remote for my Apple TV, and all the apps that I had installed on my iPod Touch. The apps for the touch are low rez so they're obviously not looking very sharp when in the X2 mode . Looking to replace them with iPad specific apps...

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

pretty much everything except work related stuff

5. dlep30 macrumors newbie

Internet
    Twitter
    Netflix
    ABC video player
    Take attendance and keep track of lessons with a numbers document (I am a teacher.)
    Angry birds HD and other games
    Use the remote app to control my AppleTV
    Email
    Calendar
    Ebook reader -- both kindle and iBook app
    Light word processing with pages
    YouTube
    Use 2Screen app to hook up iPad to projector and then project safari onto screen.
    Keynote presentations -- simple, basic ones.
    This is just a few of the things I use the iPad for. It has replaced my Macbook for about 90% of the things I do. The only things I use the MacBook for are iMovie and GarageBand and more in depth keynote presentations.

6. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

A couple of weeks ago, I was using it for navigation on a sailboat in Turkey. :) Our boat also had marine GPS/Chart plotter on board, but the iPad with the Navionics app was just as accurate and far easier to use. I just kept it in a zip-lock bag to protect it from a splash.

I was also running MiWi (requires jail break), so my ipad served as a WiFi hotspot providing an internet connection for the other crew members with smart-phones and laptops. (I was the only one with a local 3G plan.)

I also ran a spreadsheet to handle the accounting for the cruise. Of course, I was also using it for email, movies, browsing, etc. Oh, and Photos - I used the CCK to load the pictures we were taking along the way, so we could view them on a nice screen.

On dry land, the MotionX GPS Drive HD app is also great for navigating the roads.

It is indeed a magical device. :)

7. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Internet, email, photos, maps, weather, calculator ... for now.

8. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

9. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

All the usual things like web browsing, e-mail, casual gaming etc. Then I also use it as my organizer for college and use evernote to write up notes in class. It's pretty much the only gadget I use now as its replaced my mobile needs that i had with my iPhone and got me away from sitting at my iMac for everything other than GarageBand and Xcode.

10. fw221 macrumors member

Keeping my 3 year old entertained so I can take a shower without him destroying something. :eek:

11. Abspara macrumors newbie

12. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

Once I get mine, reading PDFs. MIT loooooves PDFs.

13. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Steve jobs would be upset.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Casual Surfing when I wake up in the morning
    E-mail when I leave my MBP at home
    Checking the Weather
    Reading news on USA Today

15. amazonpam macrumors member

Reading the morning news
    Checking e-mail
    web surfing
    e-books
    games

16. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I think i use mine more at work than at home.

basically just use the internet at home. keep track of stuff.

rdp, goodreader, simplenote at work, overwhelmingly

17. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Surfing the internetz
    Taking notes in lectures
    Alarm clock
    Reading books
    And I bring it with me, instead of taking the MacBook everywhere. Like I used to. :rolleyes:

18. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If I had one I think I'd use it to read the news, listen to podcasts, and probably basic web browsing. It'd probably be much more comfortable to use in bed than my MacBook :D

19. Diane B macrumors member

Everything I use my desktop and laptop for except Photoshop and Lightroom processing of RAW photo files and when I use Excel for our books. That includes reading multiple newspapers, news sites, forums (Safari), movies, Youtube, reading books and magazines, uploading photos and videos (create/edit videos with Reel director), word processing, move things from computer to Ipad and vice versa with Dropbox, games, music (Pandora or Rhapsody-I keep my music library on my Touch)---and on and on. I have found very few reasons to boot desktop or laptop and I carry the Ipad almost all the time. I didn't realize I would use it for 99% of my computer use---and actually use it for more than I use my computer. I never watched movies or read books on it, for instance.

Diane

20. nickali macrumors newbie

My iPad is to me what my teenage daughter's cell phone is to her!
    I use the iPad far more and for more things then I use the computer, even before I had the iPad. Never used the computer for reading books/magazines, personal organizing, grocery/todo lists, playing games, twitter. :D

21. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

email,web,trading,books,games,movies,etc.. very versatile. I really so no reason to get a laptop. The iPad does everything I need that required a bulky laptop.

22. THiPad macrumors member

Email
    Reading
    Study
    Games
    Movies
    Music
    OVERALL MEDIA ENTERTAINMENT AND RELAXATION, not business.

23. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Posting replies to Mac Rumors :D

I use mine for work mostly -- taking notes, storing and reviewing reference materials, showing mockups and prototypes to clients, etc.

I'm a wiki-holic, and use the iPad to update work and personal wikis. I use a personal wiki as a kind of GTD organizer for my various projects and to-dos. With the iPad I can basically add to or update any of the wikis where ever I'm at.

I use Numbers a lot, for invoicing, project timelines, expense tracking. I use Goodreader a lot for accessing various PDF and website archives. I use Pages now and then for contracts, and letters.

I also do most everything I did on my MacBook as far as music, video, web browsing, etc.

My iMac is still used for software and web developement. But I generally have the iPad open next to it, checking mockups, and updating wiki project entries as I go.

The iPad has really become a big part of my productivity tool kit.