What do you use your iPad for?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Title says most of it....

I've had the original iPad and the iPad 2 (both 16gb wifi) and I didn't really know what the point of using it was.

( I have a MBA, Thunderbolt Display, and an iPhone 4S... What does the iPad do that these things can't? Convince me the iPad is useful for some distinct thing that these other items can not do. )

2. pauldolling macrumors newbie

Convince you????? You have bought two of them.:confused::confused:

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

And sold them (only a few weeks) after not using them for anything in particular.

4. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

You bought something you didn't need... And then the newest version of the thing you didn't need. Words fail me...

5. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's being casually connected. It's like carrying a magazine around for when you're bored. Adds a bit of freedom and mobility to your computing/entertainment lifestyle.

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why in the world would you buy an iPad, let alone *2* iPads, without having any idea what you'd be using them for?? Classic case of having more money than sense.

7. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I never had two at once... and I used them for internet, youtube, music, games... but once I got a laptop I faded away from using my iPad because I could do everything much faster with a laptop.

8. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So you just half-answered your own question with the above.

How about:

- Great portability, no need for a keyboard like on a MBA
    - Instant-on, no bootup time
    - No fragile hard drives to worry about
    - No fan noise
    - Easy to hold/use virtually anywhere

Why do you need to be convinced of any of this, anyway? Sounds like you already went through 2 iPads and determined that they don't work for you compared to your current MBA setup. Nothing wrong with that. Why should the rest of us have to justify our iPad purchases to you just because you have no use for one?

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I use my iPad for all sorts of things. To surf the Internet. Watch videos. Draw and sketch*. Read books, magazines, and comics. Play games. Etc.

I find it more enjoyable to use than my smartphone because of the much larger screen size. While at the same time it is so much more convenient than my laptop, especially since I can use it while walking around or laying in bed. In fact said laptop has only left its case a couple times since getting the iPad. (usually when I need to do something beyond its capabilities I'll use my desktop.)

*While its touchscreen is not nearly as precise as my Wacom tablet, and the image resolution in raster apps is a bit low, again it is just so convenient.

10. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I use it for everything except Flash websites ;)

11. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

With iSwifter and Puffin browser, I use mine for Flash websites too. :)

12. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

iSwifter and Puffin aren't that great. The video is choppy among other things.

13. ancilla macrumors member

14. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

You must be holding it wrong. :p

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

16. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

So nobody uses the iPad for much of anything.

17. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Excuse me? As my previous post indicated, I use my iPad for almost everything. So what if I could technically perform these tasks on other devices? For me the iPad offers an ideal balance between functionality and convenience/portability.