Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cybersecPat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2024
So what do you use the iPad for? What model?

I have an M2 iPad 11" with the USB C Apple Pencil and Magic keyboard.

I use it for a lot of stuff. I find it superior to my M2 mini desktop for things like:
- Photo editing
- Web browsing
- Music Production
- Writing code (on the go. Still better on the Mac but it is quite serviceable on iPad OS).
- Playing games
- Light video editing
- Adobe Illustrator (usually for making diagrams)
- Writing documentation
- Managing remote servers

I just feel that it does all of the above items (besides writing code) better than my Mac Mini. I'm more likely to pick up my iPad than hammer out stuff on my Mac even when I'm sitting right in front of it. And universal control makes that even easier.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I'm a math instructor at a community college. I use a 12.9" 2018 iPad pro together with an Apple pencil as a virtual whiteboard using Good Notes. I connect it to a projector if I'm teaching in person, or to Zoom if I'm teaching online. I can make a video recording of the lecture available to students later, along with a PDF of the notes. I also use it for writing solutions to exams, filling out forms, and the like.

I still use my Macbook for typing up exams, notes, and so on. I only use the 12.9" iPad for creating things that involve the Apple Pencil.

I also have an iPad mini 6, which I use for reading or viewing the Internet when I'm in a coffee shop or the like.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
General browsing, content consumption, online shopping and light gaming for me on my iPad Mini 6. My 2017 iPP 12.9 sits idle now days since I have other tools available to me I use those for other tasks, whether its a desktop computer, laptop or my surface pro 9. Not calling out a debate on the prowess of one platform over another but just saying that there's always a better tool for a job when someone prefers a particular workflow. I love my mini 6 and I'll definitely consider upgrading when a newer mini is announced.

Reactions: heretiq

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
I could not use the iPad for web surfing since I need a good mouse and keyboard. I have not bought anything like for my M1 12.9 IPP. It certainly has enough power for me, but 90% of the time, I use a device on my lap. A MBA seems better suited.

m0nkeyb0y

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
M1 11". For work I do a ton of reading, markup of pdf documents, outlining, and I use the iPad in teaching as well. Plus the usual entertainment: YouTube, movies, web browsing, music, etc.

Reactions: heretiq

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
It's my art tablet and backup laptop when I don't have my Macbook handy. It's pretty good for that versatility between drawing tablet and backup laptop with the magic keyboard, but it could never be my main computer.

Mike330R

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
I mainly use it for a specific app for work with the keyboard. Makes it much easier.
Some media content while not on the couch.

Also use it while traveling rather than carrying the MBP. I do much prefer the MBP on my lap at home.

I feel I am not using the iPad Pro enough. What else can I use it for?

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Marking up PDFs with Apple Pencil
Fill out and sign forms using PDF Expert app
Viewing and editing this vertical photos taken with your iPhone.
Reading magazines in portrait orientation.
Musician? (or wannabe) - playing keyboard without needing an external one
Download movies and shows from streaming apps for viewing while traveling
Videographer? Create and edit in LumaFusion

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Cellular iPad mini 6 doubles as my phone (with VOIP app and buds), so no iPhone. One device covers all at a much lower overall cost (device and 5G service), generally outlasts iPhones before the so called "long in tooth" effect drives replacements... and pretty much all apps are better on the bigger screen (IMO). For my purposes, this is an exceptional alternative to carrying TWO devices. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.

Last edited:

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I don't use it for much these days. Occasional media consumption when I'm running on a treadmill, but that's really about it.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
Music production and performance mostly. I run a bunch of AUv3 plug ins with AUM. It’s stable and sounds great. All you need is the iPad and in interface these days for playing live.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Web browsing
Shopping
Social media
Watching videos
Colouring
Light gaming
Reading comics and magazines
Reading the news
Replying to emails
Light editing of word documents.

mandopicker101

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
My computing needs are pretty lightweight these days. I dabble with music recording (Garageb) do some basic word processing (Pages) play the occasional game and indulge in the usual web scrolling etc. I watch some TV and read magazines on it. I have the Smart Folio keyboard and, paired with a Magic Mouse, my humble 8th gen becomes a competent Laptop Replacement.

I also have an iPad from work (9th gen cellular) which handles a lot of more basic tasks I don’t need to waste time booting up my work-supplied HP Elitebook. With Pencil 1, it’s my digital notebook for work.

JeffreyVB

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
12.9in Pro

In no particular order

Signing docs
Content consumption (YouTube)
Browsing
Finances and Bill Pay
News

For Work (IT Sys Admin/Architect)

Note takine (OneNote)
System diagraming and planning
Email
Teams
Some remote management

Fraserpatty

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2015
shopping
groceries
visiting with out of town family via FaceTime
entertainment, I.e..YouTube, Netflix etc.
news
alarm clock
web browsing
siri for information, home devices, weather, text messaging, reminders for medicine
photos for all family ancestry and genealogy and photo editing
games
calendar.. to know what the heck is going on and when for the whole family

iPad Pro 11 inch 1 tb. M2

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
-web surfing
-streaming
-note taking
-viewing and annotating documents
- email
- teacher related stuff: - grading work (sometimes), classroom management, recording student data, projecting to a screen.
- other random things when I want a larger display than my phone and it's more convenient to grab than my laptop.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
I use mine as my main computer.
- browse the web
- watch things like YouTube, Netflix etc.
- read the news (family has Apple One so I read magazines on News+)
- play games (pretty occasionally)
- edit photos (again, pretty occasionally)
- drawing or writing with the pencil (occasionally)

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
My mini 6 cellular is my fill-in device for every other device I have. I always describe it as a modern day notepad and staging area for all my ideas. I also sometimes even cast it over to my Mac screen and use it like an iPad Pro. I use it mostly for:

--handwritten notes in OneNote
--Filling out medical forms for signing permission slips for my kids
--ebooks (duh)
--quick photo/video edits
--sketches and graphic design (as long as it's not too involved and is better off on my Mac)
--Office/iWork
--personal and work video calls
--texting and social media
--games/media
--etc.

mini 6 turned out to be the one I've been waiting for. Never been so content with an iPad model.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
12.9-inch iPad Pro (Wi-Fi Only):

- Web Browsing
- Movies and TV
- Heavy Notetaking (this is probably the one reason I even consider this model to begin with)
- Hearthstone
- Messages (both for iMessage and for SMS messages forwarded from my iPhone)
- Facebook
- Facebook Messenger
- Answering (or starting) Phone calls from the iPhone or FaceTime Audio calls

iPad mini (Wi-Fi+Cellular)

- Web Broswing
- Reading Comics
- Movies and TV (while in bed or on an airplane [both of which are ill-suited to anything larger])
- Light Notetaking
- Hearthstone
- Marvel SNAP
- Reading Books
- Messages (both for iMessage and for SMS messages forwarded from my iPhone)
- Facebook
- Facebook Messenger
- Video Calls (FaceTime, Facebook Messenger, Google Chat, Google Meet, Discord, etc.)
- Answering or starting calls from the iPhone, FaceTime Audio, or any other service
- General tablet use while on the go

I don't really use my iPad Air as much since the other two more or less make it redundant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.