What do you use your Mac for ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 00bolt, Aug 16, 2007.

1. 00bolt macrumors member

well this is probably a silly post, but Im curious. I currently have a Dell PC at the house and its actually pretty peppy (2gb ram, 2.8ghz). But it rarely gets used for anything more than internet surfing. Seriously, I rarely use it. Its mainly a hard drive to store all my family photos/videos

Iv got the Apple bug, and Im in market to buy a new computer. Im looking at a totally maxed out mini as my new computer with Leopard (when it comes out), iLife 08, iWork 08, etc...

I know right off the bat Im gonna use the iMove and iPhoto alot to FINALLY get all my media organized. But other than that, Im looking for other cool features to use. Im so excited, but dont even know why... lol

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Surfing, email, iTunes repository, DVD repository, writing research projects, lab reports, design projects, some CFD (well not yet but in about 2 months), photo repository, family dvds, watching telly, recording vinyls to CDs, waking me up in the morning, listening to music, sending me to sleep at night.

Shame it can't cook pie.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Surfing the web. Music. Documents for school. IM with friends. A (very) little gaming.

4. 66217 Guest

Normal college student uses. Mail, IM, music, research papers, loosing my time seeing South Park or just reading random things.

And lately I have started to get into video editing and design.

5. Italchef macrumors 6502

The nice thing about the Macs is how well integrated they are with all the iLife apps. The way I see it, we all have these machines that can do so much but we only utilize a small percentage of their capabilities. Apple understands this and enables us to do so much more. Having said all that, I surf the web, do all my email, banking etc, listen and manage my music, organize tweak and print my photos, download and edit my home movies, import them into iDVD then complete and burn my projects, created a web site which I update regularly with photos (these updates have a link that is sent to all my friends and family each time), create songs in Garageband, create photo books each christmas that have all the pictures of the family and kids that I send to my parents and in-laws, word processing, video chat with family living out of town.
    I can assure you, if I had a PC, I wouldn't be doing half of this.

Mick

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

web design, making movies, school papers, chatting, internet, garageband, photoshop, listening to music (a lot more than I though I would). BTW I'm just looking at my dock :p

7. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Mostly editing huge projects... Weddings, documentaries, funny stuff, corporate videos.

Use ... Everything in Final Cut Studio, all the Adobe programs, Boris, Swift 3D. Just waiting for the friggin MacPro to be updated so I can render and encode like a mad man!

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

My MBP SR 2.2 is my primary work system, MS office 2004, lotus notes, vpn to the ofc, paralells for accessing visio and ms project.

Wowing the clients with powerpoint presentations and demo CDs with autorun function for Windows.

School papers, imovie for the kids and grandkids plays, dance, soccer etc.

Macrumors, ebay, email, news, etc

Bootcamp 1.4 for Comapny of Heroes, Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth II + LOTR ROTWK, C&C3, AOE3+expansion.

This Mac is used for everything!

The only time I boot my AMD X2 6000+ PC is to play Company of Heroes with every option turned up, which is almost never. At this stage, I can't really tell the difference and my MBP is already a faster gaming platform than the PCs used by my 3 kids and the 3 grandkids that can play these games!

It is the only COMPUTER you will ever need! (Until the next revision comes out)

Cheers,

9. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

The apps I have open are camino, itunes, adium, mail, mactracker, and shrook which is a good evaluation of what I do. I surf the web a lot and with shrook my RSS feeds come directly to me. I listen to loads of music, email constantly, and use AIM.

Occasionally you'll catch me reading an ebook, looking through pictures, watching videos, and playing an online game. I do want to start going into more demanding stuff so I can justify a mac pro purchase to the lady but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon.

10. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I use a macbook but I'm sure I could get along with anything 800mhz or higher.

Edit: I thought I hit the edit button and did not want to quote myself

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Let's see, what I use my MBP for: browsing MacRumors, IMing, email, subway obsessing, movies via iMovie for quickies, FCE for more detail an polish, and 3D rendering/modeling. You'll love a Mac OP, but you know that.

12. rdp5008 macrumors regular

rdp5008

I use the common programs like Camino, iTunes, Preview and Mail most often. Sometime I'll use iChat. I also do my banking with EZ Money.

I am a graduate student so I spend a lot of time on my little Powerbook doing work. Mainly TexShop, Word, Pages, Textedit for various writings of different lengths. I also use Excel a lot (tried to replace it with Numbers, but numbers lags like crazy for me!). For producing graphs and charts I use DeltaGraph. For presentations I use Keynote. Image editing is split between Canvas and Seashore, depending on what my needs are. For organizing my ever growing stockpile of journal article pdfs I use Papers (great program!). Some other programs I use are GoogleEarth, Books, CSSEdit, TextWrangler, and Cyberduck (the latter 3 for minimal website stuff). Wow, I have too many programs!

I don't use Garage Band, iDVD, iMovie, and I use iPhoto but it isn't my favorite. I won't be buying iLife '08. I purchased iWork '08 and have mixed feelings about it.

No problems for me after switching from a PC over a year ago! Go for it!