Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxlew

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2007
Australia
I use my macbook for pretty much everything from final cut pro to Counter-Strike to basic emailing, I've even used it to render some really huge flash animations frame by frame and it goes pretty damn well.

Honestly I was surprised that the macbook can handle pretty much everything thrown at it, the only stuff it cant take is when it needs 3d graphics. It will still work its way through it just the fans get annoying loud.

iMpathetic

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
IMBY
I use mine for heavy, heavy iTunes and web stuff. I game occasionally in XP Pro, and I am half-heartedly trying to get into editing photos, videos, and playing around with GarageBand.

I'm a boring person.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
Physics/Statistics major here.

Most of the time I just use Safari, Mail, iTunes, etc. for browsing, email, and music.

When it comes to assignments, I sometimes have to use Windows. I would hate to dual-boot and actually have to use Windows for anything more than the ONE statistical program I need, so I use VMWare Fusion. I get my work done in XP, use OS X's screen capture capabilities to grab my graphs without even needing to export them, and go right back to OS X. Then I use Pages for any reports or essays I have to write up. I like it a lot better than Word, and makes me so much more productive.

As for needing Windows: for anything in the sciences or in engineering, there's a large chance you'll eventually run into a class you need Windows for, if only for a single program. However, I would NOT recommend ever getting a Windows computers just because of this. Even though I'm forced to use it once in a while, 99% of my computing time is still in OS X, and it's well worth it if you can afford it.

And finally, when it comes to recreation, I play Unreal Tourney 2004, which the MacBook handles beautifully on medium/high settings. I'm hoping it will fair as well when UT 3 comes out. The Halo demo also played well, but sadly it's no longer available.

Also, to other college students (since the OP already seems to have come to a decision on this matter): I would NOT get an EeePC as a sole machine for college. It's a great device that would be wonderful for notetaking/email/web use, but for much more, it would be quite difficult to use for college. I've tried out one of them, and it has a really amazing form factor--you can probably fit one in your pocket if you have big enough pants--but the small keyboard/screen size are really very difficult to use for any kind of long-term use like working on a project or writing up an essay. It'd be a great second machine, though.

Uoila

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
general day to day and VMWare.

I use mine for all my day to day web and music and word processing. Also, i'm a CS student. I installed 4G ram which has been very helpful because i do a lot of work in a VMWare lab environment playing around with windows server and various distros of linux.

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
I use mine all day everyday for everything! Through out the day im logged onto the terminal server at work, safari, ichat, vmware & dreamweaver often all open at the same time on different spaces.

In the evening I use it for safari, encoding videos files to dvd or ripping from dvd, logic, iphoto, itunes. Again with most applications open on different spaces.

I have the MacBook white, 2.2GHZ, 4GB DDR II @ 667MHZ, 120GB HDD running leopard. My friend has the MacBook pro with the exact same spec and there is not difference in performance.... only the display resolution and GPU!

bonafide

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2007
My wifes uses mine more then I do and the worst part about that is work bought it for me!

We use it for everyday web surfing, emails, skype video, "back to my mac" and movies while we're on the road. It does everything we ask and more. I really enjoy using it!

Although I must say if I was to purchase another one, I would get one with a bigger screen. Going from my 24" iMac to this 13" is tough on the eyes.

Mashiach

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2008
In a House Near the Sea
I am a music tech student.
I use mine for everything to do with my musical life and studying.
Be it Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, Pro Tools 7.4 or using Microsoft Word and iTunes.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
I'm a pre-med student.

I use my Macbook for research, word processing and presentations (iWork and Photoshop). In terms of presentations, having a keynote presentation usually impresses my peers, especially compared to a trite, boring Microsoft Powerpoint.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Chemical Engineerings student.

I use it for word, excel, preview (pdfs), browsing online databases, some modeling work in windows.

aprientice

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
daily use (basics) :
Chat : Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger,
Word processing : NeoOffice
Surf the net : Mozilla Firefox, Safari
Music : iTunes
Movie : VLC Player
etc etc ...

Game : World of Warcraft :D

all software are Mac version.

ghostguts

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Pretty much, MacBooks are used for the same reasons that a regular Windows laptop would be used, except MacBooks let you use Mac OS X. Unless your an art/film student, there isn't a difference in usage.

Samwise592

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
Internet, word processing, bit torrent, Keynote presentations (i LOVE the apple remote) iChat, my very large music collection, email, and the occasional Photoshop or garage band adventure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.