What do you use your Macbook for?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Chaos123x, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Ok maybe I am old school, but after reading all the rebuttals about firewire I started to think what do other people use their macs for?

Seeing that most new mac people are not Graphic Designers, Photographers, Video, or Audio people as the previous generation of Macintosh users.

So what do you use your mac for?

What field are you in?

2. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

I actually work for Pepsi in a canning facility. I use mine just for personal stuff. I own a dSLR and like to be able to dump photos on this to keep my cards empty. I also use it as a mobile music solution. I have a lot of "old school" friends that always ask me to burn cd's for them. Heaven forbid they invest in an MP3 player. :p I'm also really getting into iMovie. I'm slowly but surely learning the ropes.

That stuff is all on top of using it for all the "normal stuff". (E-mail, web, videos, etc...)

3. marvel2 macrumors 6502

Out of school now, but I use it mostly now for "consumer" oriented things such as web, music, photo editing, etc. Firewire was helpful for the times I need to transer things Mac to Mac.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

photo editing, very veyr light home video editing, surifng the net, torrents, word processor, and music music music and music

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The only really intensive thing that I use my Macbook for is recording music. I suppose when I need to upgrade, I'll have to go pro to get a firewire port. It's a bummer, because I love the 13" for factor.

But other than recording, just simple stuff -- internet, AIM, papers, listening to music, etc.

6. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

all the basics. Surfing the web, emails. Couple documents for work etc etc. The 2.0GB serves me well. The Backlit keyboard would be great but This screen is so bright i can see the keys but its not like I look when I type neways

7. budkid macrumors regular

school - office 2008
    web surfing - firefox
    photography - lightroom and cs3
    games - age of empires 3
    music - itunes

8. bradbowl macrumors member

I work at a university doing research and bring my laptop to work everyday. The new alum. macbook fits my needs wonderfully for portability and occasional power hungry app. Mainly will use it for office applications, teaching lecture, light molecular modeling, web, etc. Now we just have to invest in display port enabled projectors.

9. jaredtomas macrumors regular

jaredtomas

I'm a student so pretty much so just word processing, internets, Adium, iTunes etc.

10. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I use my Mac for surfing the internet, managing photos and music, photo editing, creating movies, checking mail, MSN, gaming and doing schoolwork. Pretty much everything I tell it to do it does it without a problem, as with most Macs these days. ;)

11. GadgetCollector macrumors newbie

I use mine for video editing, photo editing, word processing, internet, DVDs, music, etc.

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I use mine for doing university coursework, web development and now that I have the new model - gaming!

13. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I'm a college student so I mainly use my mac for:

- Documents (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Keynote)
    - Web Browsing (Safari, Camino)
    - E-Mail (Mail)
    - Appointment Calendar (iCal)
    - Instant Messenger (iChat, Adium)
    - Photos (iPhoto)
    - Entertainment (iTunes, DVD Player)

14. Ryffie macrumors member

I will use my 2.4 for:

• Basic usage (Safari, mail, wordprocessing etc)
    • Field laptop when photographing (PS, Aperture, Bridge)
    • School related ( Creating pdf's as a secretary at school meetings, CAD/FEA, presentations and reading school material on the laptop instead of printing them out to save paper)
    • As a media machine when train commuting ( HD movies, dvd, TV series, mp3, anime)
    • Playing WoW

I know the 2.4 is overpriced but the main reason i chosed it is psychological. I know I would be constantly thinking why I didn't go for the higher end if I bought the 2.0, even if the 2.0 worked perfect for me. It's kinda like a gut feeling that doesn't go away. I guess I'm one of those people who can't settle for less.

And this is my first notebook ever so I guess she will be my new best friend!

15. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

iTunes, Adium, Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, Madden NFL08, Word, Excel, EyeTV.

Pretty much all I run.

16. peerapon macrumors newbie

peerapon

mine ^_^

i'll use it for introduce myself for the MAC
    after >10yrs with PC

music : play tracks for live on stage through usb2.0 audio interface + use Logic
    graphic : desktop publishing, learn after effect, vdo editing
    programming : learn Xcode + iPhone Apps creating
    general : learning OS X

^_^