Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Got my iBook G3 running all OS 9 applications and games i can get my hands on. Wanting to retire it for a better G4 Titanium laptop, but those are almost becoming hard to come by.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
What games? Only fun ones I have found are Quake 3, starcraft and peggle ?

I like The Sims(1, 2 and 3) and SimCity 4. SimCity 4 only runs good on PPC Macs and PCs, The Sims 1 for Mac only works on PPCs, The Sims 2 runs on intel and PPC but The Sims 3 only works well on Windows.

icanhasinput

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
I only have it but I use it for
Halo
I am a modder so A LOT of halo stuff (sent from my phone can't put in gamer tag but Ican put in my halodemomods.com username: z^aCh
Image editing (photoshop)
Online gaming
Offline gaming (adobe flash player)
Homework :(
Getting mad about minecraft updating past my computer right after I get it
Getting mad about not being able to play runescape
Lap-warmer?
Something to need fixing every month (half exaggerating)
Forgetting how to use windows...where is the control key again?
Boredom
Ummmmmmmm...
I think That's it

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I use an array of PowerPC (eMacs and G-5's) to print coupons. The rules on printing the Internet Printable coupons say that you can print two per computer you own. I own lots of computers! Nothing says that they have to be modern.

macalec

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
I'm writing an article about what PPC Mac's CAN do, and I'm running short on ideas, I have only used mine for light web browsing and as a secondary computer, what do you guys use your PPC Mac's for?

I turn my PPC systems on for nostalgic purposes. Dont get me wrong, they are very capiable today, however it is easier to maintain somthing more modern.

:apple::apple:

Last edited by a moderator:

wobegong

May 29, 2012
XBMC hooked up to my bedroom TV and controlled from the XBMC iPad app. (no keyboard/mouse attached)

dhro1

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Used as a music source. Mainly aiffs ripped into iTunes from CDs into a USB to spdif converter an then dac. The fans are a bit loud (g5 power mac), but if you listen loud enough it's not a problem! It does the job perfectly and the lack of software updates makes managing it a lot less hastle.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
My PowerBook G4 is my go-to Mac if my MacBook Air breaks down. It has the necessary software I use on a daily basis and one Dropbox sync is all that's needed to get it up and running.

And a full charge as well.

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
My Powerbook G4 17" are used for scanning with my old canon flatbed scanner. Canon didn't update the software for it to 10.5 so I've learned to never buy a canon scanner again and keep my G4 on 10.4 for scanning.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
For those who use MS office and particularly Excel and do a lot of graphing/charting (science applications), Excel 2004 was the last good version. MS office 2008 (universal binary), had lots of problems on Intel macs and crashed a lot. However, they made some major changes to how Excel works in 2008, in particular limited what can be plotted when fitting data, and how plots are made. Office 2011 was no improvement in terms of Excel, though Word now seems to run without crashing as it did in Office 2008. You can run Office 2004 in an Intell Mac, but only if running Snow Leopard, and even then Word will crash once in a while depending on what you are doing. However, I never have any of these issues running Office 2004 on a PPC mac.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Actually, I've found the G5s to be incredible space heaters.

During the summer of 2009, when I was using my dual processor 2ghz G5 tower as my main computer, I was suffering. It caused my bedroom to be around 75-80ºF and it was bad. I'd imagine if I brought it up from my basement and used it right now, it would heat my room fairly quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.