What do YOU use your SD card for?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chalmers4three, Jul 19, 2012.

1. chalmers4three macrumors member

So I have a 32GB SD card and I just got a small SD reader that allows me to keep it plugged in at all times. First, is this okay to do or is it not recommended to keep it plugged in? Second, if it is ok what should I use it for? I use dropbox so I do not need it to transfer files. I still have plenty of space left on my SSD. What do you use your SD card for on your macbook?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only time I use the the SD card port in my MBP is to import my pictures from my camera. I have little need or desire to keep an SD card in the laptop at this point.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have an SD slot in my MBA, and a 21 in 1 card reader in my MBP. They are both used for photography purposes and video stuff.

I have a couple of older, but much loved compact cameras, one of which the USB port crappednout a while back. The. A era works perfectly otherwise, so I take the. And out and use the slots on my Macs.

Using the card for real time storage isn't really a good idea, although I guess you could. I don't leave cards in my machines, and Remeber to eject them properly before you take them out of the slot. I fried a 32GB card in my iMac once by forgetting.

4. JonLa macrumors 6502

I use it for the music in my itunes library - moved over in part by tunespan rather than the whole thing. it's a micro SDXC card in my 2010 Air and I've got a cheap SD card adapter that I've cut down to fit the slot. There's a thread about similar things actually...

5. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I used to use one to hold my iTunes music. But, since I got iTunes Match, I no longer need it. I was thinking about putting World of Warcraft on one for the rare occasion I play it on my laptops, but it would cost too much for the card since the WoW installation is about 40Gb.

6. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I use a very tiny 16gb thumb drive that i keep in one of the usb ports of my 2012 base 13" mba. I transfer WORD files and stuff like that.