What do you use your tablet for?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by barr08, Jul 17, 2007.

1. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Hey all,

I am in the process of buying a wacom tablet (here on MR!), and I was just wondering what everyone who has a tablet out there uses it for. I really want to use this thing to it's fullest potential! I am planning on using it for PS CS3, though I am not sure exactly what for.

2. LeviG macrumors 65816

if you don't know what you're going to use it for why are you buying it :confused:

3. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I am getting a good deal, and I have wanted one for a while. I want to get a feel for them, as I may have to use it in the future, being a graphic/web design major.

4. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I use Wacom tablets for rotoscoping work, CS3, and sometimes in place of my mouse.

5. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Specifically what in CS3? That is more what I am wondering.

6. LeviG macrumors 65816

they can be used for anything, you can use them with photo touchup/alterations, freehand sketches which can have variable thickness in line with pressure. Outlines for cut and paste.

They are no different to a mouse in what you can do, they just add pressure for things like airbrush/pens and give in my view a more accurate line when doing cuts/drawings.

I can't believe that someone who is a graphic/web major (thats uk degree level isnt it) doesnt know what a graphics tablet is used for. Don't the computers (or some of atleast) available to you have tablets, even my college had some during my BTEC (about the same as an a-level) but they were there for any of art/graphic students to use.

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I use a Cintiq on the coffee table as a home theater PC controller.

8. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

So some of you aren't really understanding something here...

I know what to use a tablet for. I was wondering what you all specifically use yours for. Maybe I could come up with some new ideas that what I have already been planning on doing.

Perhaps the misunderstanding was due to my original post...lets take a quick look at it again...

Nope, I don't see "I don't know anything about tablets" anywhere. Maybe you are reading something I am not, LeviG.

9. mooncaine macrumors regular

Any time I want to cut something in Photoshop out of its background, I try using selections [and channels, and re-leveled copies of channels, to refine my selections]. If that fails, I break out the Graphire.

Freehand drawing works best with the tablet, and I use it whenever I draw. Retouching photos is a bit easier with the pen, but it's not necessary, and I often leave it unconnected unless the work is becoming too difficult to manage with a mouse.

When I storyboard with a client, I bring the tablet and do quick written notes and thumbnail sketches on top of images, right there on my MacBook Pro.

When I'm drawing in Anime Studio Pro [formerly Moho], I always use the tablet. It's pressure-sensitive pen gives me control over the thickness of a line as I draw it. Saves loads of time.

It's the size of a mousepad, and since I didn't spend much time in art school, I'm comfortable drawing small -- I have always been one to doodle sketches in the margins, and I'm used to drawing small.

If you are more comfortable drawing large, get a larger tablet. IMO, that's the most important choice to consider: large tablet, or small?

I found that the Intuos line of tablets offer features I don't care about [tilt sensitivity, or the ability to swap pens, pens I wouldn't be buying anyway, so screw that, and higher pressure sensitivity -- the Graphire is already so highly sensitive that I don't feel deprived].

I almost never use the pen as a mouse. In my experience, it causes too much hand and wrist pain, over long hours of use, to keep using it as a mouse because:

- it's so sensitive that it's easy to accidentally click or drag the wrong thing, resulting in extra work to undo the damage;
    - double-clicking anything just starts to hurt after a while;
    - it comes with a mouse, so I just grab that for things that are more comfortable with a mouse.

10. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

This is exactly the kind of posts I am looking for! Thank you.

11. mooncaine macrumors regular

I thought so. Glad I could help.

Here's an example of real world use: I spent a few weeks drawing characters and props in Anime Studio Pro using the pen, but when it comes time to animate them, that involves a lot of clicking and dragging, not drawing -- so I unplug the tablet and use a mouse.

12. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

I am thinking webcomics? Thats kind of down the same line.

13. LeviG macrumors 65816

a tablet can be used in the exact same way as a mouse can with the extra features pressure brings (ie no need to set line thickness/flow rate etc in illustrator/photoshop). It is at the end of the day a device which moves the pointer/arrow on the screen. I know people who have thrown out the mouse due to having a tablet. There is no real limit to what it can and can't do, it all depends on the software and the user.

As for the bit which is why I posted my bits.

Oh and by the way you contradict yourself by stating
    - if that was the case then why ask the question ?

14. barr08 thread starter macrumors 65816

barr08

Dude, this is a stupid argument and a waste of time, just leave my thread.

For the record, I didn't contradict myself. I didn't know what I was going to use the tablet for. I know what they are used for.

Nice constructive posts though, they really helped out.

15. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I use my tablet for work in Painter IX and PScs. I don't use my pen as a mouse replacement, but nothing beats a pen for sketching and painting digitally. Give yourself about a week to become accustomed to it, as it doesn't really feel the same as using a pencil/sketchpad. However once you get used to it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

I have a Graphire and an Intuos tablet and love them both. The smaller tablet I use with my laptop/traveling/patio, while the larger tablet is connected to my iMac. Wacom makes the best tablets imho, great investment.