What do you usually back up?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Luigi239, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Right now, I just started a back up. I personally back up:

-The Home Folder
    -Applications
    -Library

What do you all back up? How big are most of yours? Mine is about 35gb in size.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. mpw Guest

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Carbon Copy Cloner to do a block level clone every week. Every byte is copied.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Anyone using disk utility while booted from an external drive and just make an image of their drive?

6. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I only back up my pictures and some documents. All my music is on my ipod, so i can always copy it to another computer if something happens to my mb. I'm too lazy to copy everything to an external hd every week :eek: .

7. Luigi239 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heh, you are not alone.

I usually only have a full backup made every 2 months or so. I was screwing around with some partitions today on my main volume, when I got an error message (I was using Gpart and an Ubuntu Live CD) and I got scared to death, seeing I didn't even have a backup because I had recently wiped my external drive. Turns out everything was Ok, but I guilted myself into a backup before I screw around some more.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

Mac Pro with four 500 gig drives. Main drive is for apps, two other 500 gig drives in RAID 0 - 1000 gig for data storage and scratch disks, the final 500 gig drive is partitioned in two 250 gig partitions. I use Super Duper to back up the entire main drive (70 gig) to one of those partitions, then back up the 30 gigs on the the data (RAID 0) drive to the other partition (I've only had this machine about 10 days). So, I have a complete and bootable disk image of both of my main drives. If and when I need it, I have another 500 gig SATA drive in a Firewire 800 external enclosure and a 100 gig USB drive attached to my Firewire Extreme.

Super Duper is a fantastic program. I've just come back to Mac from a few years of building and using several PC's and I'm very pleased with the state-of-the-Mac. Backing up with Super Duper is illustrative - simple and cheap...especially compared to the ridiculous-ness of screwing around with Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image. Full backup of my entire Mac took place at over 50 megabytes/second

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I don't back up any of my itunes, cause well I have two working copies one on the G5 and the other on the MBP. I only have one copy of my movies, cause well they eat up space and I have dvd's somewhere.

My documents folder I have a weekly backup of which writes over and I mesh together every 4 weeks. And When I have very important stuff I keep a copy on both internal drives and on the MBP. My documents folder contains every thing I've worked on that has any importance for the past 4 years, wether its written work, photos, drawings, music, or code.

And I have install disks for all my apps. So I'm good.

10. sfisher macrumors regular

All from my home directory:

Desktop/
    Pictures/
    Documents/
    Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
    Library/Preferences
    Library/Keychains/

Total size: 369MB

I've re-installed on a replacement hard drive and didn't lose anything of importance with the above backed up. YMMV. I also sync iTunes between my girlfriend's computer and mine.

11. jhande macrumors 6502

Ditto - it just works (tm) :D (Actually, I've verified that SD also does a full restore from firewire without any problems whatsoever. Makes me sleep well at night).

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

13. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I backup, effectively, just my home folder. The few things I have installed that aren't in my home folder probably wouldn't be missed anyway...

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention that I use SmartBackup to do my backups...

14. BigPrince macrumors 68020