What do you value more - Battery life or Storage size?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cchs2014, May 14, 2015.

1. cchs2014 macrumors member

So, I am looking to get either an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus, however I'm trying to stay at the $299 price point. So that leaves it at the 16GB iPhone 6 Plus or the 64GB iPhone 6.

Since I'm having a hard time deciding, I just wanted to hear you guys personal opinions.

Which feature is more valuable to you? A larger iPhone storage size or the significant screen size and battery life found in the iPhone 6 Plus?

Thank you guys!

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd get the storage personally. I love my 6 Plus, but if I could only afford 16GB with the Plus model I'd get the standard 6. 16GB just doesn't cut it in 2015 and I don't like the idea that Apple decided to keep it. 32GB should have been the minimum amount of storage, at least the 6 Plus.

Of course it also depends on your usage. If you see yourself just browsing the web and making/receiving phone calls and texts then the 6 Plus would be better because of the longer battery life. If you wanna take a lot of photos, take videos, take iTunes Movies with you, etc, the extra storage would be the way I would go.

Just my 2 cents.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

I would go for more storage. The 6 has a good battery, it's just that the 6 Plus has an insane battery life. The 6 is good enough to get through the day.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

All other factors being equal, I would go for battery life. I don't carry much content on my phone or many big apps, and even though I find the battery on my 6 to be fine, more battery life is always a good thing.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

With so much free online Cloud storage space available, and my needing a battery which will see me through a full day (my 6+ just manages this most of the time), I would choose battery life.

6. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

why not both??? LOL!

but seriously, I'd rather battery life, although the current 6 Plus is pretty damn great already...

I just fully read your post...

you have to ask yourself, many apps do you need/carry/use... how many pics? screen size; would the 6 Plus be too big for your everyday use?

7. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I value battery life more than storage size, I've been on iPhones since 2012 and I don't think I've ever used more than 7 GB of storage. Screen size doesn't mean much to me.

8. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Storage. You can carry a portable charger but you can't use an external memory card.

9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

16GB is border line too small for a smart phone these days, but the 6+ screen and battery are too good to decline.

I would save a little more money and get a 64GB 6+.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Both are needed, I'd hate to make a decision that would cause my phone to run out of juice during the day, or have issues with storing my images or loading an app.

12. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't like to compromise when it comes to technology items, especially when they are expensive.
    Sometimes I buy the iPhone outright so we are talking about $800 or more.
    I wouldn't spend that amount of money and find myself with a small amount of storage or poor battery life.
    You are going to buy the iPhone on contract so $100 more is 1/3 of the price, but is still $100. If you are going to keep the phone for 2 years we are talking about $1 per week. So why compromise?

To answer your question I value battery life more than storage and iPhone 6's battery life is quite good for my average usage of the phone so is not a compromise.
    By the way I wouldn't pick up the 6+ only for battery life. The main reason to switch to the 6+ is the screen, are you sure 6+ is the right phone for you?
    You should decide the size first, then think about storage in my opionion

13. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have the 6 64GB and would not compromise on the storage. The more you use the phone, the more you will want or require more storage. I am a light user and can go a full day with the battery.

The two things that I would not compromise on, is storage and screen size. Battery can always be recharged or get a battery pack for it if you need more life. This can be done at a later date. After having both the 6 & 6+ in my hands, the 6 was perfect screen size for my needs.

A 16GB can be managed, but do you really want to have to decide on what is on the phone all the time. In the end the decision ultimately falls on you. Do not compromise as you may regret your decision down the road.

14. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

For me the storage is more important. I take a lot of pictures, so the extra storage is very useful. Also, the battery on the 6 is pretty darn good. I can usually go 2-3 days, sometimes even longer without needing to charge it. Of course this will vary depending on your usage, but many people find the battery on the 6 to be at least adequate. If there is any way to swing it you may just want to add in the extra $50-100 and get the 6+. In the grand scheme of things that extra bit is not much compared to how much you are spending on calling/data plans over the next 1-2 years.

15. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

You can always periodically dump photos onto your computer, or upload them to Dropbox etc. Nobody needs tens of GB of photos on their phone. As for battery life, I could do with more from my 6+. It is adequate (and probably the best out there) but I still need to charge it every single day. No way could I run an iPhone 6 and not need to charge it twice a day.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I would lean more towards storage to be honest. I have never really had battery issues with any of my iPhone's. Then again, I also have lightning cables at home, my car, and at work.

17. abta1 macrumors 6502

If one of the options is the 16Gb model then I would always steer clear of that, especially after using my 16Gb iPad mini. Of course it depends on your own personal usage but I really don't think 16Gb is enough for any sort of extensive usage. Apps and media will eat that space up in no time.

18. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

Personally as long as the battery can last the whole day, its all I need. More battery life is always beneficial, however not crucial as I can charge my phone in enough places. Storage is finite, Im now starting to feel how little 16GB is on my iPhone 5. My next iPhone, most likely 6S I will most probably opt for the 64GB iP6S, as I would rather have more storage than a larger screen or more battery life.

19. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Dumping photos and videos require either computer access or reliable, inexpensive access to the internet. Not exactly something you might always have when traveling. Something like the Anker Astro E7 25600mAh however, will be able to charge your iPhone multiple times and all you need is a power outlet. Heck, I think you might even be able to charge with a portable solar panel.

As always, ymmv so just decide which trade-off you're willing to live with. Personally, I can afford 128GB models of either so my trade-off was with regards to size and battery life. I really, really loved battery life on my 6 Plus but I just got so tired of the thing not fitting in any of my pockets (female wardrobe) and needing both hands just to do the slide to answer thing. The increased weight was also an unexpected negative. I really wasn't expecting weight to be such a big deal although in retrospect, I really should have considered the issue as that's one of the things I look at when buying e-readers (carpal tunnel, tendonitis and all that).

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That is a tough one, OP.

Do you run out of space on your current phone? Do you run out of power on your current phone? Do you run out of both?

Personally, I would get the 64GB 6+.

21. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

If for some reason I have to choose one over the other, it's personal preference. For me it would be battery life. I have all my music in Spotify and with all my games and apps in usin 6.4GB lol. I have a 64GB but don't use it.

22. ATS macrumors regular

ATS

Go for storage. I just don't think 16 GB cuts it anymore, especially if you store a lot of music on your mobile device like I do.

23. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Well, you and I probably use our phones differently. I couldn't imagine using my phone enough in a day to need to charge it twice. If that were the case I would get a battery backup, which by the way is far easier to use on the run than dumping photos onto a computer or Dropbox. Try this - explain to your 2 kids why only one of them got recorded fighting against Darth Vader. It certainly wasn't because the battery died!

24. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

The choices you give would be an easy decision for me, simply because I have no interest in a phone as large as the 6 plus. I currently own a 5s 16g phone, and the battery life is fine for my usage, and I get by with the 16g storage. However, 64g would allow me to carry a lot more of my music library and would allow me to be worry free about app memory needs.