What do you want/expect in the iPod Clasic for the September Update?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iParis, Aug 3, 2008.

1. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, I know there is already a thread for the September update.
    But the iPod Touch and the iPod Nano already have at least one, so I believe the iPod Classic deserves one too.
    -----------------------------------

Here is what I want/expect:

1. Hard Drive Upgrade - 250GBs, many people (me included) have massive libraries full of music and video.

2. New Prices - $249 for the 160GB model; $349 for the 250GB model.

3. Calculator - The iPod Touch has it so I don't know why it would be so hard to add it to the iPod Classic.

4. Upgraded Contacts - The contacts upgraded to where you can manually add them in instead of only being able to add them with your computer.

5. Weather App. - Yes, no wifi blah blah blah. But what if it updates every time you sync it and it shows the weather for that week.

[EDIT]6. More Batter Life - The current battery life isn't enough for me, especially if I'm in the mood to watch a lot of videos.[/EDIT]

-----------------------------------
    So what do you guys want?

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You kinda posted the 'normal' upgrade pattern. Its really what happens every year! Just add in more battery life!

P.S.: I have a video which I sync probably twice a month! And I know a lot of people who have a 160GB classic all filled up and dont sync for like months untill they bought their favorite albums!
    You think the weekly whether thing will work?:confused:

3. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Oh yes, better battery life would be nice too.

Well if they come out with a 250GB, then people would probably be syncing more often.
    iPods also need to charge so unless you use a dock to charge it then you have to sync it every so often.
    It was just a suggestion, and maybe this will tempt people to sync more.

A camera would also be cool, but that is wayyyy out of the question.

4. nlivo macrumors 6502a

If it doesn't have wi-fi, I won't be happy. Why wi-fi? Because it can then act as a remote for your iTunes libraries, connect to airtunes speakers and also share songs with other iPod's and iPhones. Wi-Fi is the future of iPods.

5. Cyburnclassic macrumors member

Probably this will happen:

1) Better Battery Life

2) 120GB and 200GB sizes

3) Wireless Headphones

4) New Colours, including RED

6. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

All i need/want is a huge hard drive (SSD would be great, but i think it's way to early to hope for that). I have 17,000+ songs and over 100 movies. I can't stand to have anything under 160GB. Once you go big with the memory of an iPod, you can't have new iPods with less memory

7. cuestakid macrumors 68000

While I think my real want of having a 160 GB ipod touch with all the bells and whistles is just that, I think that we likely will get something very close to what Cyburnclassic said.

Now if they put a 40 plus GB drive in the touch, then the classic would cease to exist as many who got a classic (like me) will seriously consider the new touch

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A larger memory and considerably extended battery life would be my preferences in an upgraded classic model.
    :apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD,
    :apple: iPod classic, black, 30 GB

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

And many, (like me) wouldn't. :p

10. Creibold macrumors regular

Creibold

Simple "adding in" WiFi is not easy. First, apple would have to put a processor in it equal to that of the iPod touch, and make the casing slightly bigger to fit the new chipset in.

Your forgetting the reason every ipod BUT the classic has better battery life THAN the classic is the HDD. If you all of a sudden have a beefier processor with spinning HDD, plus a WiFi connection than just expect your battery life to be about 1 Hour. The battery power from those smaller batteries isn't where it needs to be yet. The nano may be able to pull it off, but the battery life would still take a really bad hit.

11. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I can't say I would agree with that.
    The Classic is definitely not going to go off the market this refreshment and probably not next.
    And there is no way the touch is going to get a 40GB drive, it will be 64GB.
    40GB would make no since considering the touch had always doubled it memory, same as most other iPods.

1st Gen - 5, 10
    Photo - 20, 40
    Nano (all gens) - 1, 2, 4, 8. (and soon 16)
    Video - 30, 60.
    Classic - 80, 160.
    Touch - 8, 16, 32. (and soon 64 and then 128)

I don't think the Classic will go off the market until we have a Touch with a drive of at least 100GBs.
    So expect to see the classic disappear when we get that 128GB Touch I'm predicting.

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

I would like to see an iPod classic with a 100GB or larger hard drive that is no thicker than the current 80GB version. I can't think of much else that I would want from an update.

13. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

Out of the 6 on the top, 5 seems a little hard to do assuming it has no WiFi, since weather is usually inaccurate.

I think versus a 250GB, they'll add a 320GB Model as the highest end model. Especailly if they add no other changes, since the cost to manufacture them has gone down signifigantly since they started making them..

IMO, WiFi should stick to Touch, based on reasons Creibold mentioned, and makes the iTouch more unique...

Another thing that i've been expecting for awhile is multi-color. Have 8 colors (All the ones previously used with the shuffle, except swamp green and including product RED), which would also be used with Nano and Shuffle.

Cyburnclassic, I don't even think the iTouch has support for that (I think iPhone does, but that makes sense since it's a phone and bluetooth bussinessmen need them), but I wish it did because i've killed probably at least a few of my 20 iPod Headphones due to the cord..

We have about 5 of these types of threads going on. Can we have a merged topic that's pinned to the top called "What Do You Expect In Future iPods 2008?" or something like that...

14. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

I will do that ASAP!
    And I will also post links in the thread for the previous threads about this kinda stuff so people can view previously shared ideas.

15. luketc macrumors newbie

do you know if any larger capacities of these hard disks in the "thinner" form factor (single plate or something I think) are being manufactured? I was just about to pick up an 80GB classic refurb for 209, but now they dropped to 179 USD - what are we anticipating in sept?

16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

There's a 240 GB (120 GB single-platter) hard drive to be released in 2009. So we won't see capacity bumps in the iPod classic or MacBook Air until then.

Other features?
    • Bigger portrait screen like the rumored iPod nanos
    • Wi-Fi
    • Price drops

17. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I don't believe they will change much at all, just a minor update like UI, battery life etc...

But it would be awesome if they added wi-fi and made some applications and games for it as they dont exist.....
    doubt they will add colours.

Wireless earphones would be elite though :apple:

18. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

ALl i want is a huge HD, but i know there aren't any bigger than 160GB right now

19. iParis thread starter macrumors 68040

iParis

Trust me, that's what we all want.
    Give it time.
    If it doesn't happen this September then it probably will happen a little after Christmas (February).
    But who knows, Apple always surprises us. :D