What Do You Want/Expect to See in 10.7?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Axemantitan, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

What are the new features that you want or expect to see in Mac OS X 10.7? Serious replies only, please. I expect to see the ZFS file system in the consumer-level version of the OS, not just the server version. I would like to see a touch interface, at least as an option. What else do you see coming for the future of the Mac OS?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Seriously, 10.6 hasn't even come out yet, you might as well start a "Let's widely predict the future regardless of any logic" thread...

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How about you wait until WWDC when 10.6 is released, mmkay?

Half of what will be on this list will be defunct by the time it needs to make sense.

Also, NO SYSTEM-WIDE MULTITOUCH. OS X will be what OS X is. OS XI will be multitouch.

4. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

If you don't want to speculate, then don't participate in this thread. There is no need to talk down to people who just want to predict/speculate about what is coming. This thread is for those who do want to talk about what may be coming. There is absolutely no need to condescend to anyone. If you don't like that, then don't post.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is no NEED to speculate when we don't know what is coming in six months, much less two and a half years from now!

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's not that, it's more that this thread isn't going to yield any form of discussion, just lots of people shouting +1 FOR MULTITOUCH, if that...

We're not being condescending, it's just these kinds of threads popup all the time, a 10.6 one popped up a few months before 10.5 came out, and it was put in the wasteland shortly after... These threads come and go all the time.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think it's hard to tell what will be in 10.7 because we're not even sure what will be in 10.6. I think this would be a good thing to bring back up after Snow Leopard is released.

8. Axemantitan thread starter macrumors 6502

I found this to be condescending:

I wouldn't talk down to some like that. I am not an idiot, so don't talk to me as if I were one.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I think you're blowing this a little bit out of proportion here, we see these kinds of threads all the time, they last maybe 10-20 posts, then they're forgotten about, they pop up maybe once every few weeks. Nobody said you were an idiot, or even assumed that...

Unsubscribing now, I don't want the hassle...

10. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

i like how almost everyone is like, against you so far.

it's so hard to come up with new ideas to implement in 10.7, especially because we already have so much.

all i can say is 10.6 is heading the right way with improvements, and 10.7 should be further improving even more, and more tweaking.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol contradict yourself there?

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's not speculation; that's fact. There is only six percent jest in that sentence.

We're obviously moving toward a fully multitouch interface, but to do so would require a restructuring of what we consider an OS to be. It will be as drastic as the change from command line to GUI with the Macintosh 128k.

You really couldn't change OS X as much as you would need to for a proper GMTI (totally just invented that: Graphical Multitouch Interface), so you have OS X be the last link in the chain of Macintosh 128k interfaces.

OS XI would be the first GMTI, and Windows 8 (9?) would be the first copy thereof. :p

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to be fair, until it happens, its speculating regardless how certain it may be

14. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Well, if we look in the far future, I would want a nice cat name like we've had for years..