What do you want in iOS 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Having owned a good number of iOS and Android devices, I've gotten a lot of things on my "wishlists" for both. But here on this Apple forum, I wanna here from all of you guys. What new things do you want in iOS? What could be done differently?

After the keynote tomorrow (or today, depending on your timezone) come back to this thread and we'll compare our wants with reality.

Feel free to get nitty gritty with your wishlist, after all, the experience can be in the simple little things. Also, you really don't have to be completely realistic. You can mention something crazy if you'd want.

Here's my list:

-iCloud used for music, docs, photos, and other uses with Apple's apps.

-an update to iWork and iLife iOS apps that allow your projects and documents to be stored on the cloud, synced with all your devices.

-new notification system almost exactly like Android's

-easier to create user dictionary for keyboard

-widgets

-full-screen multitasking view when double clicking home button

-the ability to turn off animations (loved that feature on Android. Perfect for power users)

-YouTube app almost identical to Android's (the ability to view user channels, ect.)

-tabbed browsing

-Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps that play nice with Google's services (ex: actually allowing you to search through your mail)

-more options in Messaging app (lock messages, select specific parts of messages, ect.)

-multitasking that's actually multitasking

-Clock and Calculator apps on iPad

-scrollable folders that allow as many apps as you'd like

-text-reformatting to fit screen when zooming-in in Safari (Use an Android phone and you'll see why it's such a handy feature)

2. zOdeac macrumors member

Unlocked so I dont have to Jailbreak.

Bigger screen and clearer. I have a 3GS.

a way to Bluetooth sync so i can remove the cable its getting old.

64GB i filled up my 32gb with pictures and music. yes i know i could srink the picutres but i dont want to i want more memory.

3. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd prefer a notification system similar to WebOS - luckily, Apple hired the guy that made the notification system for WebOS.

I would also benefit from Widgets. I often unlock my phone and open it up to simply check my calendar or other little things. Widgets would be nice and save me some time.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

1. Unlocked/Jailbreak: Won't ever happen
    2. Bigger: iOS 5 can't make your screen bigger
    3. Bluetooth sync: WiFi is faster, though not as fast as USB.
    4. Clearer: They already did with the iPhone 4 and it's Retina Display
    5. 64gb: iCloud

5. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Haha, my thoughts too.

Personally I don't even want Wifi-syncing. I don't want my computer to be a middle-man between my media, and my iOS device. I want the iCloud to be the middle man that delivers my media to my iOS devices AND my computer(s). It would make buying a 64GB MBA seem like a more logical idea. Currently, there's no way I could fit everything I need on there.

6. zOdeac macrumors member

1. I know this is why when the iPhone 5 comes out i will drive to Canada or my friend will to to Hong Kong and pick me up one thats unlocked.

2. I was thinking iPhone 5 sorry not IOS5.

3 Is there a WiFi Sync if so please let me know this USB stuff sucks.

4. Yes i know but i have a 3GS and im wishing the iPhone is a little more bigger and clearer then my 3GS.

5. I dont want the iCloud though it sounds like a good ideas some time for some things but in the city the buildings block signal on both AT&T and T-Mobile so id rather have 64gb

Again sorry thinking iPhone 5 not IOS5 sorry.

7. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Here's my list (the ones i can think of right now). Not really expecting many of these features.

-new notification system almost exactly like Android's
    -easier to create user dictionary for keyboard
    -full-screen multitasking view when double clicking home button
    -tabbed browsing
    -Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps that play nice with Google's services (ex: actually allowing you to search through your mail)
    -more options in Messaging app (lock messages, select specific parts of messages, ect.)
    -scrollable folders that allow as many apps as you'd like
    -text-reformatting to fit screen when zooming-in in Safari (Use an Android phone and you'll see why it's such a handy feature)
    -message counter (sent, received, total)
    -live icons

8. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Give me an improved notification system and please (please...) include a SWYPE-styled keyboard input option and I'll use this iPhone4 for at least another year.

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Just 2 -

1. better notification system
    2. one-touch icon for wifi/bluetooth function

10. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Better notification system goes without saying.
    Toggles for 3G, wifi, bluetooth, etc.
    Better picture app that we can make folders on the fly.
    Better bluetooth functionality

I have all of these by Jailbreaking but it would be nice not to have to
    Jailbreak.

11. Yumunum thread starter macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Let's see how I did...

[yes] -iCloud used for music, docs, photos, and other uses with Apple's apps.

[yes] -an update to iWork and iLife iOS apps that allow your projects and documents to be stored on the cloud, synced with all your devices.

[heck yes!] -new notification system almost exactly like Android's

[no] -easier to create user dictionary for keyboard

[noooo] -widgets

[nope] -full-screen multitasking view when double clicking home button

[sadly, nope] -the ability to turn off animations (loved that feature on Android. Perfect for power users)

[maybe?] -YouTube app almost identical to Android's (the ability to view user channels, ect.)

[yeah!] -tabbed browsing

[nope] -Mail, Calendar, and Contacts apps that play nice with Google's services (ex: actually allowing you to search through your mail)

[no] -more options in Messaging app (lock messages, select specific parts of messages, ect.)

[no] -multitasking that's actually multitasking

[not that we can see] -Clock and Calculator apps on iPad

[no] -scrollable folders that allow as many apps as you'd like

[yes, in a way] -text-reformatting to fit screen when zooming-in in Safari (Use an Android phone and you'll see why it's such a handy feature)

12. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The only features I'm excited about are tabbed browsing and iMessage. :cool:

13. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

I believe "personal dictionary" was included in the list of 'other' updates -- I'm hoping this means a user-editable dictionary that will stop repeated auto-corrections