What do you want that's missing from iPhone OS 4.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple..., May 9, 2010.

1. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Just wanted to know your guy's thoughts on the matter... I for one would love to see a widget system. Something where I could check the weather, view upcoming events, etc. all without unlocking my iPhone - that would be great. Oh, and wireless syncing as well please.

2. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

I'd love an updated & more modern-looking weather app. Have you seen the weather apps on other smartphones these days? They make the iPhone's weather app look rather stone age. Of course, that's one of only two things I see as better in other phones (the other is ranted about below).

The widget idea you mentioned would be awesome, too ... set it to display weather or whatever you choose on the lock screen. - without having to unlock and go to that app.

And for good measure (though I know it's AT&T's fault, not Apple's and nothing to do with OS 4.0) it's high time we had native tethering without having to jailbreak - or a carrier worth its salt who is able to support it.

There's my $0.02. :D

3. tnisatard macrumors 6502

As of right now, what I want the most is a revamped notifications system like android

i dont want to unlock my iphone all the time to check if i have an email

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

better notifications. I don't really like the new thing. If you get a push notification or a local one, you have to minimize the app your in and open another one. For testing, instant messaging and other useful social communications app, why can a little translucent drop down windows appear on out screen?

We could do what was need in it quickly, his send, and it would move back out of the way. Also why can't I tap on the notifications bar, and see my text messages? Why do I have to do more steps for such a "simple" device?

And with multitasking, closing the apps running in the background is not simplicity either. you have to hold the icon down for 2 seconds. It wiggles. then press a red line thing to kill the app. Then press the home button. For a company thats all about simplicity and easiness, why not drag it out of the multitasking dock, and it just poof away like things do on Mac OSX.

Maybe they will replace the stupid "hold it down until it wiggles and then drag it out of the dock and hit the home button to complete" and replace it with the "drag it pout of the dock to close it" feature.

I doubt they will improve notifications in 4.0. that will be in 5.0 or 6.0. To get it I will have to be 'environmentally responsible and throw my 3GS away and buy a new iPhone with the glass back. I think i'm gonna jailbreak my 3GS tonight. :)

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

6. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Agree with everything above. I'd also like to have the option to view the home screen in landscape mode.

7. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Something that makes the lockscreen actually useful.

And a way to quickly access my favorites, since they can't seem to figure out an activation method other than pressing the homebutton.

I make calls way more than I will need multitasking. wtf

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

a sim unlock so I can use my iPhone worldwide. Why US iPhones are even locked baffles me. To get the discount prices, you have to sign up for AT&T at the POS and even with the iPhone unlocked, only T-Mobile will be signal compatible aside from AT&T and then, only at EDGE speeds.

9. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

Agree with you guys, and am adding my own 2 cents to the list:

1. Better notification system (à la Android)
    2. Improved Lock Screen with widgets
    3. View homescreen in landscape view
    4. More voice commands (like "what time is it?", "what street am I on/where am I?" etc.) This way, you wouldn't have to take your phone out everytime.
    5. They should use the swipe up and down gestures in homescreen to get to some "quick access areas" - one of them could be the notifications area seen in point 1.
    6. Ability to edit metadata of music (rename songs etc.)

Can't think of any others at this time, am sure I'll find more :D

10. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I'll echo what some others are saying.

1. Better notification system
    2. Systemwide cloud sync
    3. ID3 editing
    4. Printing
    5. 802.11n

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Multitasking

*ducks* ;)
    Better notification system - android's is excellent.
    Make the lockscreen better/more flexible w/o needing to jailbreak

On a serious note, I do think better multitasking system is something I'd like to see though I know I won't. How apple is applying it, is not half-arsed

12. deadcantdance macrumors member

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You can ask what time it is in 4.0.

14. Asar macrumors regular

i just wish i had quick reply when someone sends a text, so i dont have to leave my app to text back. then i'd be covered pretty much since the new phone has video chat more than likely. :apple:

15. Asar macrumors regular

16. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Not sure if this is included in the new OS or not...I haven't had the benefit of playing with it yet.

But...
    I would LOVE to be able to save pictures and make new photo galleries from the phone itself...instead of syncing galleries from my computer.
    I'm always on the go, and when I do have time to sync my phone...I don't have time to go through and checkmark all my new galleries. (It's just a PITA...IMO)

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I've not had opportunity to view 4.0 but from what I gather syncing to-do notes from iCal still hasn't been implemented (or has it?).

18. iRich1G macrumors member

I'm pretty sure 4.0 includes in app SMS, so we won't have to close an application to reply to a text.

19. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

20. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Holy cow, yes, Custom SMS tones. That is the one thing that TRULY annoys the bejeezus out of me. Oh, well, that and no multi-tasking...but of course that's a non-issue soon.

21. Flacofromny macrumors newbie

How can ya miss something so important.

Wow one of the things I want the most is:
    1- Ability to hide the keyboard in the text message area and the email area.
    2- Best notification system, please apple fix that crap.
    3- This one is not software related but please apple a larger screen for the next iPhone.
    4- Integration of aim/msn/yahoo/facebook/Twitter/myspace in the text message area. Same way as the Palm Pre. That was one of the best thing I love from the palm pre.
    5- An useful lockscreen.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

23. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

Ability to add caption/notes to pictures you take on the iPhone's camera itself, in the Camera Roll picture gallery at the least. Being able to do so on the other pictures synced from iPhoto/iTunes from your computer would be great as well :D

24. milmarpk macrumors newbie

I still want to be able to delete individual phone calls from list. Not just the complete list.
    Yeah, I know....me and Tiger Woods!!!:eek:

25. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

No. It has an in app SMS API for developers to put in their apps just like some apps now allow you to send emails with content. Has nothing to do with replying to an SMS in any app.