What do you want to do when you grow up?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 204467, Aug 26, 2008.

1. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Obviously, this is a thread for those who don't already have a steady job or are grown up. However, since some people don't have the job they want now and have already grown up, say what job you wanted to have as a kid (or still want but can't get). Personally, I want to be a design engineer (I'm only 16, so I've got some time before I have to worry about that). A few months ago, before my mom suggested that as an idea, I just wanted to be an engineer (I didn't know which kind). However, I guess I still want to do general engineering, so that's still a possibility. Part of me still wants to be a chef, or else a baker; unfortunately, I don't cook enough to make it more than a hobby. Voice your opinions.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Despite my hated for the song Sunscreen by Baz Luhrmann, a line of the lyrics really ring true:

Me? I'm 26 and still have no idea. What I wanted to do between 15 - 22 years old is completely different to what I wanted to do before, or after, that period.

Come back and ask me in 20 years time.

I still won't know.

*crawls in to a corner and punches self repeatedly for quoting such a horrific bit of music*

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dreamt of playing in the nba and being a pilot

now im an engineer who plays asketball and will someday get my pilots licence

4. shecky Guest

shecky

most of my life i wanted to be a designer + artist and teach design at a college design program.

now that i am grown up, i own a studio where i am a designer + artist and i teach design at a couple of different colleges.

sometimes dreams come true. :)

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I wanted to be a race car driver or a cop when I was a kid. I'm now a graphic designer. I still want to be a race car driver though, I hate cops now. :p:D

6. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I want to and am working on a degree in IT. I enjoy working with multimedia and computers. As of right now, I work too much between school and actual jobs. I am halfway through my twenties, and I feel that the best years of my life are being wasted. I don't understand how we accepted to work majority of our lives away, but yet I still go into work.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I hope to get my dream job as a New York City subway train conductor. The registration for the test begins on September 3rd... it often takes 2 years or more to get your number called... :(

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I wanted to be a pilot when I grew up.

I ended up being what I call an 'aircraft systems manager'. Professional pilots these days are all either retired, dead, or up in Alaska. I was born about two decades too late.

10. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'll never forget my elementary school graduation ceremony. Each of us got to walk up to the microphone and say what we wanted to do when we grew up. I said I wanted to light Cuban cigars with $100 bills. I was subsequently grounded for a week :D

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

a history teacher is what I am working towards. I want to get kids interested in the past and want to develop more diverse history options for high school kids than is offered now (basically Canadian history and some very brief glances at world events are offered now)

however, if I have my way I will be working in video game 'journalism'...

12. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

13. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I've considered a lot of things, and to be honest, I haven't chosen yet. Either a lawyer, MP (That's Member of Parliament, for our American readers), journalist, quantum physicist or doctor. Kind of a broad range, eh?

14. vniow macrumors G4

Jesus.

If that doesn't work out, then I'm not really sure. Currently thinking of changing my major to a combo of design and mechanical/electrical engineering with my minor staying at human sexuality studies. Should lead to interestingness.

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'm leaning towards being an EMT. Not sure yet, though.

16. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

I had four childhood dreams:

-Major league baseball pitcher. Reality set in--I suck at baseball. :p
    -City planner: I've always had a fascination with cities. I'll have to settle for SimCity, I guess.
    -Teacher: I want to do this at some point in my life.
    -Magazine writer: My brother and I used to create our own magazines. As it turns out, I landed a job with a major tech publication.

So of the four, so far I've managed to actually pull off one of my childhood dreams.

17. clancemasterj macrumors regular

clancemasterj

I want to be a film editor. I have to justify my purchase of Final Cut Studio... :)

18. Aranince macrumors 65816

I want to/am working towards being a Software Engineer.

19. TSE macrumors 68030

I actually have a lot of options after high school, here are some of my serious options, I am pretty sure I will pick one of the four:

-Barber-get to talk to a lot of nice people and is rather easy job skill wise, you set your times if you have your own barbershop

-Cop-for the coolness factor and I want to help people.

-Military-they pay for your college! And a lot of my friends are joining the Marines. I also get to protect and fight for my country

-Pipefitter-great pay and I am a math person.

-Professional Baseball Player-long shot but I am actually one of the top players in my league. I hit over .400 and played above average defense at 2nd.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I really wanted to be an NBA basketball player. But I'm too short, I can't dribble the ball, I'm a sub-par shooter, and I have no other skills. I also wanted to be an NHL goaltender. It's not something I'd be bad at, but I never actually made a good attempt to reach this goal.

Now I study physics.

21. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

22. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice. My dad just retired about two or three weeks ago, actually. It's nice; he's not as stressed anymore.

Ha ha ha. I think as a little kid (like five-years-old) I wanted to be a Power Ranger. I can't really remember.

That is great. I wish I had had that much balls when I was that young.

Interesting blend of studies (besides trying to be Jesus ;)). Though I have to say, human sexuality is rather interesting; shame I can't take a course on it until college, since my high school doesn't offer one.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I either want to be a lawyer, or a programmer for Apple.

Don

24. 204467 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I think at one point I wanted to be a truck. I was really little back then. Of course, it can't compare with my older sisters wish of growing up to be a tree (she was four when she said this). These are true stories, I can't make this stuff up.