What do you want to see in iLife/iWork 09?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saladinos, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Both are rumoured to be announced tomorrow. Let's create a wishlist and see how far each of them goes.

I'll start:

iPhoto:
    - Geotagging support for iPhone 3G
    - Better library management/more controls
    - Faster launching and interface
    - Better tagging: tag photos with people from your address book, for example
    - Ability to create poster collages similar to Posterino

Pages:
    - Ability to integrate equations in to documents
    - Ability to create chapters in PDFs from table of contents
    - Better drawing, for example the ability to create an inline 'canvas' with floating objects inside
    - View options to allow you to add space to each side of the screen (similar to Word. I find it helps block distractions from my desktop when maximised)

2. djourd macrumors member

I would like it if Numbers was a bit more powerful.

3. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

4. robd54 macrumors member

iMovie

More editing/special effect features that were dropped in iMovie 08!
    Increased performance/compatibility with AVCHD

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Be more specific please? I'm not disagreeing, I just see this a lot and would like to know what people need, since I sell this stuff. No one has ever really been specific about what it's missing.

I personally would love to see the suite move online (not only online, but an option). Other than that, I'm always impressed with what Apple adds, but I've never had any good ideas about what I want.

jW

Oh yeah, forgot this was iLife too. I agree about adding back effects and features from iMovie HD. I'd also like to see Photo Booth effects added to iPhoto, that'd be fun to use on all of your photos.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Ability of Pages to work natively with doc format. No more Import/Export ********.

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

This

8. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I would really like to see some more functionality in iWeb with:
    -Comments/Guest Book
    -Forms
    -Publish Sited to different Wed Addresses
    -Drop Down Menus
    -Built in FTP

And I wish they would give you an option to disable iPhoto events.

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

graphing: secondary and tertiary axis, log axis with free choice of tick marks, multiple shapes in dot plots, overlays of different graphs (to make it easier: just look what cricket graph from 1999 could do or spotfire and sigma plot today...just look up some scientific publications and see what graphs they use.)

data analysis tools like conditional formatting, heatmaps, filtering of data, statistics, basically less business presentation nonsense and more scientifically/technically relevant real world functionality.

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Keynote - would like to see the ability to use a music or sound file over multiple slides without stopping and restarting...

11. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

iWeb - would like to see Apple buy up RapidWeaver and combine its features with iWebs...

12. dom7 macrumors member

I'd like Garageband to become a more powerful software notation program, similar to any of the Finale programs.

I would like to see the ability to make sheet music by dragging and dropping notes down on the page.

13. kepardue macrumors 6502

.doc is dead. I don't see Apple working with .doc since it's proprietary, closed, and largely has to be reverse engineered. At most, we would see native saving to OOXML or ODF, but since both formats would require apple to have some feedback in the direction of the spec I don't see that happening, either. Personally, I prefer the OpenDocument camp's idea of a vendor neutral standard that doesn't have to account for the flub-ups Microsoft has made over the years in their Office formats. Seriously, the OOXML spec is like 5x the length of the ODF spec.

If we will just get Import/Export of ODF in iWork I'll be happy. That's quite likely since even Microsoft has joined the ODF working group and is implementing native support in MS Office 2007 beginning with SP2, not to mention that OS X has had ODF support in TextEdit since Leopard; it just looks like iWork '08 barely missed the boat on it since Leopard came out after iWork '08.

Other than that, I echo the sentiments about tagging in iLife. It would be nice to categorize my tags into People, Places, and Events, and even nicer if Apple adhered to the IPTC and XMP standards so that tags made in iPhoto were transferable to other programs in the future.

14. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I would like to see the ability to save slideshows that are created in iPhoto and also to be able to post them on the .Mac (I refuse to use the term MobileMe) online galleries. I know that a slideshow can technically be exported (and I believe burned to a CD/DVD though I have never tried it) as a quicktime file, but why the extra steps and limited functionality? This is exactly the sort of integration and functionality that Apple and the iLife suite are all about.

Also, and I know this is nitpicky, but I would also love a ruler display down the vertical edge of my word processing docs in Pages. I know a horizontal ruler can appear when rulers are displayed, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to install one on the left vertical edge. If I am missing something here, please someone tell me I am an idiot and advise how I can do it.

It would also be great if, in Pages, I could simply create and print an envelope. No complicated mail merge with contacts I have saved in Address Book; just the simple ability to create and print out an envelope with me inputting info as needed. It's very surprising this feature doesn't exists. Or, again, it does and I remain an idiot.

15. roespan macrumors newbie

Numbers

Numbers needs password protection for spreadsheets. Lots of confidential data are contained in spreadsheets, and emailing them is problematic without password protection.