What do you want to see in the updated MBP? [Official Thread]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jamin., Feb 4, 2008.

1. jamin. macrumors regular

So in every thread on every second post, someone seems to post the specs they want for no reason. Obviously they have a random outburst to tell the rest of the forum what they want, even when its not relevant to the topic.

So here is a thread for everyone to show the rest of the forum what they would like to see and in turn to not 'off-topic' the threads and crowd them with spec posts and personal wants and opinions on their own desires and everyone elses.

Enjoy

2. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

It would feel more official if SJ had created this thread.

Only thing I need from a new MBP is a better GPU but that wont happen :)
    Redesign + new touch pad would be nice as well.

3. Skyldig macrumors regular

Here my wishes:

• Resolution upgrade on the 15.4" to 1680x1050
    • CPU upgrade to Penryn (+ 10% speedincrease)
    • GPU upgraded with more VRAM
    • New keyboard, same as MBAs
    • New touchpad, same as MBAs
    • Magnetic latch like current MBs have
    • Redesign to make HDD replacement easier

I'd also like to see a slight case-redesign. Primarely to make it suit the general mac-family. A suggestion to this is posted below.
    Photoshopping done by Bayol05 all kudos go to him.
    [​IMG]

I know this is not possibly gonna happen in a single revision, but the topic is what we'd "like to see". :rolleyes:
    If we're lucky we'll see half of the things done in this revision, and the other half done in the Montevina revision.

4. lbeaumont macrumors member

Heres the updates I want, any why...

* Res upgrade on the 15": Not a necessity, but nice to have the extra res.
    * Penryn: I think this is a given, but the battery life and the less heat is always nice.
    * 256mb VRAM: Always nice for occasional gaming, Photoshop...
    * MBA keyboard: Prefer the MB/MBA keyboard so much more.
    * Multitouch trackpad: It may have some benifits down the line.
    * Price decrease: Australians get dominated by the premium
    * Blu-ray player: VERY doubtful, but would make me very happy :p
    * Or if no BR player, remove the optical drive: Lighter, maybe a tad thinner, and maybe space for a second battery?

I know only one or two will happen, but that is what I'd like.

5. calabi macrumors regular

i'm not greedy, i'd be happy with penryn and a hard drive bump!

if i was asked to name one more, i'd have to say multi-touch ! :)

6. bayol05 macrumors regular

bayol05

Hey guys, as Skyldig referenced, here is a version you can click and see in higher rez. Thanks for the kudos Skyldig!

This is what I would love to see, but I'm sure its asking for too much in one update...

Attached Files:

7. ibinco macrumors regular

ibinco

All i want to see is the bloddy thing hit the market, Pernyn is enough for me!
    Improved battery duration is of great value to me!

8. andreaseto macrumors newbie

My wishes

- Penryn processors starting from 2.5GHz
    - Ati mobility 3xxx series card. They are contructed in 55nm (8600 is 90nm I think) so with penryn less heat will be produced.
    - 256 VRAM in graphic card as standard
    - Bigger HDD (7200rpm drive would be even nicer)
    - Multitouch track pad
    -user replacable HDDs

9. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

If this is the "Official Thread" then who is the sanctioning body? Apple? MacRumors? What makes this THE Official Thread, the OP's declaration?

10. andy.c macrumors member

That's what I want!! :) The case re-design Bayol05 has made looks great. I sure hope it's something like that we'll see in the upcoming weeks... :D

11. thebigd1973 macrumors newbie

Me tooooo

I would love to see all of the listed wishes. I am waiting for the new release of the next gen MBP. I will purchase the 17", but would be much happier if the 15.4 would offer a higher resolution (1680x1050). I am currently having to use a PC laptop for University to run my AutoCad 3D. I hate it so much. I feel ill when I oprn the lid of the HP. If Having that extra screen resolution would allow me to run bootcamp/xp and blast the 3d autocad out of the water without having to look at a pc.

Please please please.
    :apple:

12. Fossie macrumors member

Penryn
    1680x1050 15"
    Multi Touch for its possible future uses. Current implementation is a gimmick.
    Run cooler.
    e-sata.

13. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Penryn
    More VRAM
    320 hd as option
    magnetic latch
    multi touch trackpad

14. djellison macrumors 68020

Seconded. Plus Maglatch.

15. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yes.

16. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Brd & eSata.
    Neither came to MP, so I guess they won't come to MBP either...

17. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Who died and made you the Official Thread maker? Two in one day (or month for that matter) on the same subforum is enough.

One, now and again is cool - but two of them? Dude.

18. agojes macrumors member

A very nice picture about the redesign. It's like seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. When hope is almost disappear, there is this picture to keep you going strong.

I wonder though, what would it be like having the design with the silver color for the case and the keyboard. It kinds of give you a more professional feeling right?

What I wish for in the new MBP?
    - MT Trackpad
    - Magnetic Latch

19. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Agreed with this. Particularly since OP just joined the forum a week ago, and in his own words said:

So. Let's keep discussion in the existing threads about the new MBP.

20. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'd like to see a 12-inch version that's like this. http://mbp12.com/
    I'd like to see a computer that has a dedicated graphics card and is a bit more powerful than the MB, but has a small footprint. I don't care how thick it is, but I'm a college student, and even my MB is a bit large to carry in my backpack. And I play some games and wouldn't mind having a good graphics card. However, I don't need a huge screen or a super-powerful processor.

21. MickdyMickdyMAC macrumors member

Me upgrading from a 1st gen 12" PBG4, that 12" would suit me just fine.

I'm personally not diggin' the Bayol05 photochop. It just doesn't scream "flagship" laptop to me. For me I think its the keyboard. The current MBPros have this look to me that they were sculpted from a single block of material and that look/feeling gives me this idea that its purpose is very singular, focused, and strong (both structurally and functionally as a device). It's like the difference between a chef's knife where the entire thing is a single piece of metal versus a knife where the handle is a different material than the blade itself. But whatever......

For the new MBPros, I wouldn't mind the optical drive being an option or even removable/replaceable with a second hard drive or SSD drive even. This way, I could choose on which drive I want to store various things based on my personal usage needs.

What would be really cool too is what if the multi-touch pad was actually a dock where you pop in an iphone or ipod touch? The device would charge while it is docked and there would be a small screen there to be used for "whatever" at this point in conjecture.

Bottom line though, I'm just waiting for any update period.

22. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

23. pointycollars macrumors regular

That is exactly what I want. Beautiful photoshop! I sure hope it ends up looking like that. Quite honestly I could give a rat's behind about spec bumps as long as they change the case design a little bit. Anything I get will be an improvement over my 667 MHz G4 :)

Oh, and a magnetic latch would be nice.

24. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

I seem to be the only one that prefers the current MBP keyboard...the keys look nicer as they're curved and actually designed, and are softer and smoother to touch. Although it's slightly slower to type on, I actually prefer it to type on than my aluminium keyboard.

But, I guess it's inevitable that the MBA keyboard will be moved over to the MBP when it's revised.