Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jev425

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
I was looking to get my first ipad with cellular capabilities using the apple sim and curious to know what the data plans look like or how it works. For people that have used this feature, is there plans online I can look at or what are the prices for ATT and Tmobile?

thanks in advance!

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I was looking to get my first ipad with cellular capabilities using the apple sim and curious to know what the data plans look like or how it works. For people that have used this feature, is there plans online I can look at or what are the prices for ATT and Tmobile?

thanks in advance!

I can't speak for AT&T but T-Mobile has various data plans at reasonable rates. They even give you 200 MB for free for an iPad used on their network. You can call T-Mobile customer service or just visit one of their stores and get their prices. I know that they have data plans from 3 GB on up.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005

thanks in advance!
it honestly depends on what plan you have really. we have a value share plan with 2 iPhones and 2 iPads. for this plan it's only $10/month to add an iPad and share the data. it's not going to be the same answer for everyone as it really depends on tier of plan you have etc.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
If you have T-Mobile, the go with T-Mobile. They have great deals, for $10 they match the datap plan on your T-Mobile phone, though it max out at 5g.

But only att's unlimited data is the perfect match for iPad. With that you get real freedom. Lol

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
I have the T-Mobile 200 MB free tablet data for life plan. Works well for me since I mostly use my iPad on wifi but I use it from time to time when I don't.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
If you have T-Mobile, the go with T-Mobile. They have great deals, for $10 they match the datap plan on your T-Mobile phone, though it max out at 5g.

But only att's unlimited data is the perfect match for iPad. With that you get real freedom. Lol
So if I have an iPhone on T-Mobile with 3gb/mo., I can add an iPad on my account for $10/mo. and get an additional 3gb? Or does it just share the same 3gb with my phone?

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
So if I have an iPhone on T-Mobile with 3gb/mo., I can add an iPad on my account for $10/mo. and get an additional 3gb? Or does it just share the same 3gb with my phone?
They will give the same amount of data to your iPad line, up to 5g.
So you get another 3g

codelode84

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
200m a month, is it worth the extra $130 you spent on iPad?....
Yeah T-Mobile is good about that I have the 20GB a line plan and i am paying a 10 for 5 GB you can't beat that. I assume music streaming wouldn't count either which is a huge plus. I just wish they would come out with a band 12 iPad the pro doesn't even have band 12 thankfully the new iPhone does. This is their most recent LTE network that gives you really fast speeds.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
Yeah T-Mobile is good about that I have the 20GB a line plan and i am paying a 10 for 5 GB you can't beat that. I assume music streaming wouldn't count either which is a huge plus. I just wish they would come out with a band 12 iPad the pro doesn't even have band 12 thankfully the new iPhone does. This is their most recent LTE network that gives you really fast speeds.

Correct

Last edited:

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
200m a month, is it worth the extra $130 you spent on iPad?....

I actually bought my mini 2 128 GB with cellular this past March at clearance for $449 from Best Buy. It was brand new and sealed so I couldn't resist lol. Seemed like they were trying to clear out their inventory. The cellular part was an added bonus for me.

codelode84

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Music data counts. Music freedom is not included in the data lines.

I found this on T-Mobile's site:

Is my Tablet (Mobile Internet) eligible for unlimited streaming through Music Freedom?
Yes, tablets are included so long as you have a qualifying mobile internet plan with T-Mobile. Customers with free data through the “Tablet Unleashed” offer are not eligible.

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I found this on T-Mobile's site:

Is my Tablet (Mobile Internet) eligible for unlimited streaming through Music Freedom?
Yes, tablets are included so long as you have a qualifying mobile internet plan with T-Mobile. Customers with free data through the “Tablet Unleashed” offer are not eligible.
Ahhhh.... Sorry for the misleading info. Maybe I've messed the two up, the match plan and 200m free one...

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
I actually bought my mini 2 128 GB with cellular this past March at clearance for $449 from Best Buy. It was brand new and sealed so I couldn't resist lol. Seemed like they were trying to clear out their inventory. The cellular part was an added bonus for me.
If yo feel this is a good deal, then that's good.

Just saying just for 200m a month, I don't think it's worth to pay an extra to get the cellular one, you can use iPhone as hotspot for this very occasionally use....

sanandreas1234

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
If yo feel this is a good deal, then that's good.

Just saying just for 200m a month, I don't think it's worth to pay an extra to get the cellular one, you can use iPhone as hotspot for this very occasionally use....

Yeah that's a good point I wouldn't pay the extra $130 if I was going to have to pay full price for it cause I occasionally use my iPad. I tend to use my phone more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.