Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What Document processor do you use

• Total voters

CaptMurdock

Suspended
Jan 2, 2009
The Evildrome Boozerama
I'm in the process of converting from Office to iWork, mainly because Office '08 is so bloated and slow I hate to boot it up. iWork seems to be working fine, and I can save Pages files as Word and have them read on my Windoze machines at work.

Reminds me of when I switched to ClarisWorks solely due to Word 6 for Mac. Ecccch.:(

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have posted something similar to this in other threads, but here is my take

In general...

If you need strict compatibility with MS Office for Windows, your best bet is to run Windows and MS Office with Boot Camp or virtualized with Fusion/Parallels/Virtual Box (free)/Crossover. This is the only way to ensure you are completely compatible with Office 2003 or 2007 on Windows. You can convert docs to .pdf, but that isn't always an option if you need collaboration.

If you need mild to good compatibility with MS Office for Windows, you can use Office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac, with the understanding they are not equivalents and there is little VBA support in 2004 and virtually none in 2008. Excel will be the primary difference more so than Word. Office for the Mac also has issues with Spaces. There are converters for .docx available.

If you want a MS Office-like interface, etc. then Open Office/Neo Office are good choices and they are free. But they will not provide strict compatibility with MS Office. They will however, give you a more Office-like experience. They are robust and complete packages from the Open Source community.

If you want the functionality of MS Office with a Mac experience, then iWork is the best bet. It is a great value for the cost. Pages is a great tool, and Keynote is superior to Powerpoint in my opinion. Numbers is good, but does not provide the power of Excel. You can check out a comparison here: MR Guide - iWork v. MS Office. Nothing compares really to Excel on Windows if you need all of the features.

You can also check out Mariner Write and Mariner Calc. Both are decent alternatives, but are not as widely used.

If you just looking for a nice word processing, then Bean is free.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
If you just looking for a nice word processing, then Bean is free.

+1 for Bean. I had been using OpenOffice and NeoOffice before that, but I've always thought they were way too slow, clunky, and unintuitive. They don't even work right with universal keyboard shortcuts, like cmd+left/right for home/end, cmd+shift+z for redo, or cmd+, for preferences. So I just typed "cocoa word processor" into Google, and Bean popped up as the first result. Bean works wonderfully.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I also use Bean for most of what I do. But if I'm looking to do a specific type of document with some advanced formatting then iWork / Pages is what I use!

odej98

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
I don't really like open office on the mac that well, there isn't enough contrast in the menus and the buttons. Office costs money, the office I have for vista doesn't get used, because I don't like firing up windows in order to use it.
I don't remember why I didn't like iWork . . .

So I use NEO Office. It is basically a gui for openoffice for the mac. makes the colors and features easier to see.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
:apple: Pages since '05. Numbers since '08 because I enjoy using them :D

:apple: TextEdit for quick letters and for changing any formatted text to plain text. Also for saving info via the services menu and can save in 8 different formats.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I had Office 04 and 08. I gave iWork 09 a try and love it. No more Office for me.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
iWork and Office '08. I tried OpenOffice for a couple weeks and just didn't like it that much, so added MS Office to iWork.

In my opinion, you're best off with iWork + MS Office/OpenOffice.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Office most of the time, but have been using iWork more and more. Just got used to using Office from my Windows days, and that's what was always installed on the computers at university.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
Office for mac has great compatibility features and I have had no issues with it. I use it for school all the time because everything I send in has to be in MS word format.

Motorheader

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2008
I set my daughter up with Neooffice and it works great. I have the default save set to MS Office and never an issue at home or school.

nadyne

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
Mountain View, CA USA
If you need mild to good compatibility with MS Office for Windows, you can use Office 2004 or 2008 for the Mac, with the understanding they are not equivalents and there is little VBA support in 2004 and virtually none in 2008. Excel will be the primary difference more so than Word. Office for the Mac also has issues with Spaces. There are converters for .docx available.

Just for clarity ...

Most of the Office 2008 and Spaces issues have been resolved in updates to both Office and Leopard. Make sure that you're at the latest version of each (as of this writing, Office 12.1.9 and Leopard 10.5.7).

Office 2008 has built-in support for the new file formats (.docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc). Office 2004 can also read and write to the new file formats, for which you need the file format converter.

snowleopard2008 said:
Why did MS decide to change the format?

The old file formats (.doc, etc) are all binary formats. The new file formats (.docx, etc) are XML-based formats. The new file format generally results in a smaller file size, and it is publicly fully documented so that other companies can more easily write software that will work with them.

Office:Mac 2004 and Office 2003 for Windows can read/write the new file formats with an update. I provided the link for Office 2004 above; for Office 2003, download the Office compatibility pack. Additionally, in Office:Mac 2008, you can set the default file format for all new files to the old binary format.

Regards,
Nadyne.

Tarek

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2009
Cairo
I purchased an iWork '08 with my MacBook Pro and installed it. However, I don't really like it because I'm not used to it at all. So I bought Microsoft Office '08 for Macintosh and I am really happy with it. It's the best.

kim6ball

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2009
I use pages now since I bought my macbook. i really prefer Word because it has a waaay better spell/grammar check and it maybe because Im so used to it. But Keynote looks like a way better presentation program than powerpoint

iAlexG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I am still yet to try NeoOffice but I have tried Bean. It is great for notes as it is fast and overall its good freeware :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.