What does 2.0.2 iphone firmware fix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MasonMI, Aug 23, 2008.

1. MasonMI macrumors regular

Exactly what does 2.0.2 firmware fix i haven't noticed any difference in getting better reception or more bars.

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Did you read the release notes? It fixes bugs.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you read the posts here, it fixes many things, or nothing, or somewhere in between, or it makes things worse. in other words, 2.0.2 is a complete crapshoot, which makes so little sense (I've never witnessed such a wide variety of ambiguous results from a piece of software in my life) that the logical side of me thinks it was a crowd control tactic and nothing more, and that any side effects, positive or negative, are all in the mind of the user, or coincidental network/performance anomalies.

4. acvball92 macrumors regular

acvball92

2.0.2 was a fail for some people and a savior for others.
    It's like russian roulette :D

5. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

It fixed my ability to use the data on the phone. I can't use my data at all now even with full 3G bars.

Is there a way to downgrade back to 2.0.1 or 2.0?

6. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

Mine hasn't been so great after I updated. I don't see anything drastic in terms of fixes. I just hope they release 2.1 soon.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It made people reload the OS and reboot.

Which usually fixes the odd thing or another on the iPhone just by themselves... at least for a while.

As an embedded device programmer for way over thirty years, my take on it is that Apple has apparently no clue how to initialize a device from scratch, or how to verify code.

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

9. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

The update killed my 3G service, if I have 3G enabled I only get 1 bar, and thats it.

Now I must go get a new sim card from ATT... grrrr.

10. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I can't tell that it did anything...

My phone worked fine before I installed it and works fine now after using 2.0.2 for a few day's. Of course I live in an area with outstanding 3G coverage so I don't have the 3G problem's others have experienced. And if I understand what I have read it was in theory going to help with the 3G reception problem's that effect about 2% of iPhone owners, so I would say most wouldn't notice a difference.

11. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

all it did for me was make it so none of my 3rd party apps would launch and all my content disappeared.:eek::mad:

i had to roll itunes back to 7.7.0 and restore before it would work again.

12. vega07 macrumors 65816

it reduced my battery life. that's what it did.

fail.

13. MasonMI thread starter macrumors regular

I sure hope Apple/AT&T fixes the issues this is getting to be a frustrating experience with the iphone 3G.

14. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Fixed my battery usage, now it exploits it tremendously .... :D

15. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

I updated to 2.0.2 from 2 today, took me 10 mts (apart from the download). I had switched to Airplane mode (tips from win mob days) and it went flawless. Have all my stuff/settings as i had it and the OS upgraded.

Do i find a change? Not too sure, everything remains the same, including the battery life. Yup have a better firmware and upgraded modem firmware on the phone, i guess am an update freak when it comes to software.

Obviously the vendor has some improvements or the other. Nobody will be crazy enough to introduce a more buggy upgrade. Yeah sometime accidents do happen.

Yup am related to the software services industry :D

Neutral feedback here.

16. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Im pissed that my phone has gotten worse after 2.0.2. I had a flawless phone prior to upgrading...no lag or freezing. Only occasional crashes, but nothing too bad. Since upgrading to 2.0.2., now I get serious lag, freezing and more crashes! I wish I had never upgraded! :mad:

Does anyone know if there is a way to easily downgrade back to 2.0.1? I dont want to jailbreak or anything that will screw up my phone, but if there is an easy way to go back, please post.

17. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

restore from a backup.

18. salanddaz macrumors member

One positive I have noticed is that it now allows you to charge the phone on a mac using an older apple USB cable.

19. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

What happened to all the "snappy" comments that comprised nearly the entire thread started on release day? :rolleyes:

All in all, there isn't anything noticable. It's claim was bug fixes but none of the bugs I was experiencing have changed. Maybe they're changing small things within the firmware code to make the next updates a little more compatible (i.e. what they should have done before releasing 2.0).

20. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

Didnt work for me, but thanks anyway. I had backed up my phone several times, but for some reason when I tried to restore from a backup, the only backup it showed was the one prior to the restore, which still had the 2.0.2 on it. Guess I'll just have to live with this until they decide to release another fix. :rolleyes:

21. alFR macrumors 68020

You must work really slowly.

BA DUM TISH! :)