Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
I'm assuming you mean Junior in US high school.

Who forced you to take this test?

I had to take the test when I was a junior in high school also. Pretty normal really. BTW...That ASVAB doesn't count. If you decide to enlist you will have to go take a full physical and a battery of tests, i.e. hearing, sight, etc., and also take the ASVAB again.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
My school. Everyone has to take it. If you skip school, they make you take it in the counselor's office when you come back.

Why on earth are they doing this?

Don't get me wrong, I support the services fully, but compelling someone to take this test is just wrong, unless there are some extenuating circumstances involved here...

I wouldn't take it. It's not a part of a high-school program.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Minimal. You spend a strong majority of your job in the engine room/below deck on an aircraft carrier. Remember these guys fire the long range guns 5 miles offshore LOL.

BTW, I say Aircraft carrier because in the nuclear program the only ships nuclear powered are aircraft carriers, and submarines. You have to volunteer to go on a submarine. If you don't VOLUNTEER you go to an aircraft carrier.

I agree.

Just curious, I assume you served and if so, were you around when they had nuclear cruisers in commission?

Also, keep in mind that Navy nuclear has a relatively clean record when you compare it to the civilian world... largely do the high demand of focus and excellence required from Admiral Rickover back in the beginning

Additionally, there is so much technical support for every ship out there in terms of solving solutions to issues that do arise.

However, if you want to see what cooooould happen in a nuclear ship, just go watch K19: The Widow Maker lol

Don't get me wrong, I support the services fully, but compelling someone to take this test is just wrong, unless there are some extenuating circumstances involved here...

It very well could be part of the program...

Why not take it? It just further opens more possibilities. You aren't committing to anything

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA

Its mostly a way of judging your skills, etc, and also gives you an idea of how you would do IF you wanted to go into the military. It by no means forces you into anything, and like i said in my previous post, the test doesn't even count toward a recorded score in the end.

I agree.

Just curious, I assume you served and if so, were you around when they had nuclear cruisers in commission?

Also, keep in mind that Navy nuclear has a relatively clean record when you compare it to the civilian world... largely do the high demand of focus and excellence required from Admiral Rickover back in the beginning

Additionally, there is so much technical support for every ship out there in terms of solving solutions to issues that do arise.

However, if you want to see what cooooould happen in a nuclear ship, just go watch K19: The Widow Maker lol
I heard about the nuclear cruisers. The Navy's Nuclear safety record is thanks to FAR more than just high demand of focus. The very basics of how the reactors operate is different from civilian reactors, right down to the isotope. NDA prevents me from adding to that, just know that USN reactors are the safest, in the world and are in fact, completely incapable of any kindof Chernobyl/Japan thing.

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

The military also comes to our school and offers us career advice, so I think it was worth it. They may also pay our school, but I'm not sure about that.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Then why on earth compel people to take it? Joining any branch is purely voluntary - so taking the ASVAB should be voluntary as well.

This doesn't make any sense. Unless the school board (local or state) got bulldozed by the recruiting arms...

FYI, I'm well past the age where this would be of impact to me.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Then why on earth compel people to take it? Joining any branch is purely voluntary - so taking the ASVAB should be voluntary as well.

This doesn't make any sense. Unless the school board (local or state) got bulldozed by the recruiting arms...

FYI, I'm well past the age where this would be of impact to me.

Do you feel the same way about school requiring students to take the ACT?

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Obviously things have changed quite a bit from when I went to HS, but surely students shouldn't be compelled to take tests that they don't want to (or don't need to) take.

College bound? Opt out of ASVAB
Likely to enlist? Opt out of ACT

and so on and so forth.

For damn sure we were ridden about all the things we needed to sign up and participate in when I went to school. But if you were going to work in the die and cast shop right after graduation, then taking either the ASVAB or ACT would be a waste of time for everyone involved.

...if you were well and truly gifted, you would have known about that well before any ACT or ASVAB test.

But perhaps standardized tests have become substitutes for teachers.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I'm assuming you mean Junior in US high school.

Who forced you to take this test?

The good ole US government. The schools also send names addresses and phone numbers of all the students. Had to deal with all that crap with all three of my kids. I am a Vet, but it was up to my kids, not me. But we got plenty of 'harassing' phone calls from the recruiters, even after we told them that they were not interested.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks

Preparedness. ;)

Remember Conscription? :eek:

Now a low score is not so funny, eh, grunt?

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
$40k for a sign on bonus for the nuke boys? Jeez, there's your 6 months' worth of savings right there to throw in an account. Next, moving onto retirement savings...

What kind of money/advancement do the nuke boys make? I've got two degrees in the chemical/nuclear engineering and chemistry fields, with a good GPA and background. I'm also looking for a job.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
$40k for a sign on bonus for the nuke boys? Jeez, there's your 6 months' worth of savings right there to throw in an account. Next, moving onto retirement savings...

What kind of money/advancement do the nuke boys make? I've got two degrees in the chemical/nuclear engineering and chemistry fields, with a good GPA and background. I'm also looking for a job.

As I said before, paygrades are the same no matter what field you are in, i.e. E1 makes this much, E2 makes that much etc, etc...

However nukes get accelerated advancement, meaning they go in at E3, and graduate to E4 after just 6 months. Think about that. Before most enlisted make it to E2, you would already be an E4. Not to mention hazard pay, etc. etc.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

However if you have the degrees I'd suggest going in as officer. Beware though, going immediately into that program as an officer will have you labelled as a DILDO by the enlisted guys(Direct Input Limited Duty Officer), but who cares, officers make a ton more money than they do. LOL

If you do prefer to get some enlisted time in though, you could go STA-21. It stands for Seaman To Admiral in 21 years. Special program offered to enlisted to go officer with an advanced time table.

btw Im not a recruiter for anyone wondering at this point. In fact I hated the time I served. Military life just wasn't for me. However Im not so self-rightious as to discredit an obviously wonderful program.

HiteDD

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2016
If you get a 90 and try to enlist in the Navy, they will INSIST you sign up for their nuclear program. I mean, you have the choice, but they will REALLY try to get you to choose the nuclear program.

I scored a 93 on my ASVAB and they really wouldn't show me any other jobs...Granted the nuclear division has some great benefits...Accelerated advancement-go in as E3, E4 in a year, etc. etc...

So, if I scored a 93, they will insist on that? What if I would rather go through OCS from a college ROTC such as Norwich or VT?
Also, is there a point if I enlist and automatically come in as an E3 because of the high school I graduated from?

BernyMac

macrumors regular
May 18, 2015
USA
So, if I scored a 93, they will insist on that? What if I would rather go through OCS from a college ROTC such as Norwich or VT?
Also, is there a point if I enlist and automatically come in as an E3 because of the high school I graduated from?

They will NOT insist on anything, since you have not signed anything yet. You will be pressured though, and make you feel that you have no other options, because they think you don't know any better. If you are interested in joining, do your research on the jobs you believe you want to do. And do not go in without a guaranteed job. Never go in "Open General", they can put you anywhere they need you.

Khalanad75

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
land of confusion
Also scoring a 90 on the ASVAB will qualify you for most jobs in the Army. They would most likely push you to take a language aptitude test and push you towards Psy-Ops Translator.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.