What does a new MBP release do to current used market?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iridepowder, May 17, 2015.

1. iridepowder macrumors newbie

As some of you here probably have heard Apple is expected to release an upgraded 15" MBP next month. I am looking to buy a used 15" rMBP and it got me wondering.

My question is this. When Apple releases a new product, be it a new MBP or a new iPhone, what kind of price reduction happens to the prior generation of devices? Are we looking at a 10% reduction or a 30% reduction?

We all know that us Apple users/humans in general like to have the latest and greatest, and I am debating whether or not to wait till the release, then buy a used MBP.

At the moment I found a guy who is willing to sell me his (Sept 14') rMBP, 16 GB, 2.8 ghz, 1 TB hard drive, 2 GB graphics card, with apple care to 2018 for $2,200.

What do you think, should I hop on it? Wait a month to see what happens to prices, or ask for cheaper? (he was originally at $2750.)

2. Mercilesz macrumors newbie

i think its a steal at that price with apple care till 2018....

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

Yeah I think Applecare is a biggggggg plus when buying machines like this. If you get it cheaply at a place like B&H, it will run you $240. Think of it like getting that computer at just under 2000, which for those specs are pretty good.

As to what a new refresh does to the used market:

It will often drop prices on used and refurb units. The apple refurb store will typically take an additional 10-15% off the original asking price. The used market on CL and ebay will take a small dip as well, but what you really get are a lot more options for sale. I had been shopping for a 2014 15 inch on CL for a few months had really only seen about 4 or 5 of them for sale in 3 months. Once the refresh hits, I'll probably see that many in the following month or more. What that means are more options for buying and more people who might be willing to give you a really excellent deal on a machine just so they can raise the money and buy a new machine.

If you do buy that machine (and it seems like a good price), make sure you check all the usual things like no EFI password, run diagnostics, and be absolutely sure that they properly transfer you the remaining applecare service. That's really important as that's where a lot of the value for this listing is coming from.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

TL;DR - it's a really good deal. Today... I have the 18-month old version of the rMBP, and mine still screams. But...

Don't go "forecasting" prices. The last time Apple announced new hardware in the rMBP, they changed the chipset from Ivy Bridge to Haswell and also moved to seriously fast SSDs (I own one of each) - and they dropped the price several hundred dollars at the same time.

You may have also heard that new MBPs are coming out this week - not next month... You may have not, but your friend may have. I'm looking to unload my Ivy Bridge rMBP this week, before everybody else figures it out.