What does a screen 'chip' actually look like?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by owen22, May 4, 2016.

1. owen22 macrumors newbie

owen22

Hi, just bought a secondhand Macbook Pro from eBay and just have a question about the screen.

There is a very small 'dot' on the screen (about the size of an old-school CRT pixel) which appears white when the screen is off and black when the screen is white. It is also slightly raised so I can feel it very faintly when I run my finger tip across it.

The screen was filthy when it arrived and there were similar marks on the screen but these seem to have come off with screen cleaner and a microfibre cloth however this one remains.

Is this a chip? I had assumed a chip would be concave but this is definitely raised...

Any ideas?

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

No, your screen can't chip. It is not made of a hard material.

3. owen22 thread starter macrumors newbie

owen22

Hmm... wonder what it can be then. Certainly doesn't come off with the maximum amount of pressure I'm confident about using to try and get it off...

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

MacBook Pros have had a glass cover over the screen since the unibody models were introduced in 2008(unless we're talking about the anti glare option, I'm not sure about those). That glass cover certainly can chip. Although it wouldn't leave a bump.

5. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

The glass should be totally flat after the manufacturing process. If it wasn't it probably wouldn't have left the factory. And if the original user found that, they probably would have returned it.

It could be a piece of debris (food? lol) stuck on the glass. Try resting the Mac so the screen is flat, moisten or put a drop of water on the bump for a bit to see if that can loosen it.

I've bought a few used Mac and sometimes it has taken a few cleanings before it is totally clean.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It's amazing how disgusting some folks keep their equipment :(

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It's called an an exploding or bright pixel they can happen on any IPS screen. Nothing you can do about it short of replacing the screen.

8. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

If you want i can send you what happens when you crack the display, i dropped mine from 3 feet onto wood.