What does a Touch do that an Iphone doesn't?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by avincent52, Nov 19, 2007.

1. avincent52 macrumors regular

I'm trying to, well, justify an ipod Touch, or at least understand it better.

It's cool, no doubt. But if I want to listen to music, I'll use my old school ipod.
    If I want to browse the web, I've got my macbook pro.

An iphone lets me chuck out my Razr, but the AT&T network and my Verizon contract make that a non-starter.

The screen on the touch is sweet, but isn't 8 or 16 gigs a little light for video storage?

And finding wi-fi on the go is still a hit and miss proposition as I've discovered with my MBP.

So how is a touch going to improve my life in ways that, say, a new nano won't?

best
    allen

2. TheDPR macrumors member

16g isn't bad for video as long as you don't plan to carry around every DVD you own on it.
    Also, it is a LOT smaller than your MacBook, which makes it convenient. If you're not anywhere near wifi spots, though, then maybe it isn't worth it to you. As an MP3 player, it's no better than any other iPod, IMO. But as a super cool and versatile gadget, there are none better.

Don't underestimate the power of the screen. Once you touch it for awhile you'll feel like you're picking up an antique when you use your old iPod.

3. 667-75 macrumors newbie

weird. The name of the topic suggests a Touch/iPhone discussion, but you quickly move to some "old ipod", a macbook pro. Sure, you can always use your macbook for internet AND videos and whatnot. You can also use payphones if you don't have a cell (which I sometimes do, since I don't have a cell) or get a 5£ walkman.

To get back to "what the Touch does that the iPhone doesn't" part, well, it makes me save 35£ a month :D And I love it for that...

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

The only things an iPod Touch has over an iPhone is greater storage capacity (up to 16 vs 8 GB), and a slimmer physical size.

Oh, and no monthly contract. Don't want to forget that...

Re: your Macbook Pro, your iPod Touch is a heckuva lot smaller and pocket-able than a notebook computer. If you always have to bring your computer with you for other reasons anyway, than it doesn't matter too much. But if you're bringing that computer out regularly primarily for the wifi/internet access, than an iPt would significantly lighten your load.

5. avincent52 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses.
    There's much to like about the Touch, but since I used my MBP constantly, it seems like it would add one more device--or at least a larger one--rather than cutting down on my load.
    At a slightly lower price point--which will come eventually I imagine--it would be a nice replacement for my ipod.

best
    Allen

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The Touch is also much thinner and lighter than an iPhone, if that matters to you. The lack of expensive monthly contract made the biggest difference to me, though.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

On a side note, how do you find the PDA aspects of it? Is it usable? Shortcomings?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm just getting used to it. My biggest problem with it right now is that I keep my calendar and contacts on one Mac and my music on another. iTunes just does not want to abide such a situation. I've already accidently erased all of my music once syncing the calendar and contacts. I also hate the fact that it requires a cable for syncing. Even my impossibly clumsy Palm had Bluetooth for this.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the alarms are audible only through the headphones. You don't need headphones to hear the alarms when you set them. Doh!

Otherwise, the Touch is cool. It makes the PalmOS look like stone axe. Still I guess I'll feel a whole lot better about it when I combine everything onto one Mac, one with USB 2.0. Syncing 3,300 tracks with 1.1 is for the birds, especially for the second time!

9. gvegastiger macrumors regular

I'm probably one of the few who like the Touch, but wishes I had of just gotten an iPhone. the touch is great, but if you like using any of the things on the internet, it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. WiFi is great, if you are near a hotspot and if you can actually get your Touch to connect, which is by far no sure thing. My Touch also drops the connection frequently and crashes all the time when I fly with it.

With the cool apps people have developed for the Touch/iPhone and the mail app and google maps, etc. I really wish I had of gotten the iPhone.

But to each his own. I wish I wasn't stuck with it though.

10. TheQuestion macrumors regular

Some people like having a distinct phone and internet tool. Kind of hard to talk on the phone and surf when your only device is the iphone.

11. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Stick with the old school iPod. I love the Nanos. I use my 1st generation Nano more than the Touch. It's just easier on the go. You use the Touch when your not moving. It's cool but needs more stuff on it. Games, applications, and i wish Wi-Fi was easier to access. I often think that i wasted a chunk of money on it, although i do think it's beautiful. IF i knew what i know now, i'd would have bought the new Nano. Actually when they came out, if the Nano came in 16g, i would have bought that.

12. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

get the touch. Trust me, you will love it. Then, if you jailbreak it (which is very easy now, like I am computer illiterate and I did it with one click) it is absolutely amazing. I highly recommend it. I have a MBP as well and I love it. But nothing beats sitting in bed and surfing on the web on my touch. It is so small and thin yet the browsing on it is great. Also, it is sooo thin that when I am walking around using as just an ipod :eek: yes I do that haha, I dont even feel it in my pocket. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend.

13. mmfy macrumors regular

From my very short stint with the iPT so far I can say it is incredibly light (don't fell it in my pocket), lovely screen (not sure what week I have but nod ead pixels and good viewing angles) and sleek.

iPT vs iPhone, as said before no contracts, no (un)locking (I live in Trinidad & Tobago), lighter, slimmer, cheaper for the memory and easier to jailbreak ;)

14. iseasi macrumors newbie

The main thing the iPod touch has over the iPhone for me is that my phones battery does not get flat if I use my media player too much.

15. mmfy macrumors regular

very good point..on the downside I don't use belt clips and my left pocket is stuffed now! Guess I'll just have to use the beltclip with one or the other..the phone most likely as it weighs more.

16. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

the ipod touch has a shiny back
    and a smaller black wifi attena in the corner