What does a worn Pencil tip look like?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Cassady, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

So I came across this thread, about blue discolouration on the tip of the Apple Pencil.

Just recently noticed the same on mine. Not blueish - more black. Have a screen protector on, so not overly concerned about the iPad's screen - it might plausibly be caused by rubbing against something in my laptop bag...

My question though is that - whereas I blame my older eyes on not being able to see too clearly - it appears as if there is some degradation of the tip itself, as opposed to 'mere' colouring...

So I'm curious: What does a worn Apple Pencil tip actually look like?
    Google Images don't really give good examples. And asking me for a picture is a bit pointless, since the 'best' camera I have is my 6S, and it cannot focus properly on the actual tip-point to take a clear-enough picture...

Anyone replaced theirs recently that can describe what the tip ends up looking like?

Is there something underneath the plastic that starts showing through? Wouldn't there be some layer of 'metal' somewhere, to conduct the 'touch' through to the copper(?) point inside?
    Or does it simply become noticeably rough/scratchy in the 'flow' of using it?
    Or would it simply wear down to the point of a 'hole' appearing, since the tip itself is hollow - and you could presumably break-through to the hollow area below?

I guess what I'm asking is - what 'makes' a worn Pencil tip? :cool:

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It wears love a lead pencil but it takes a lot to get it that way.

Matt screen protectors can speed the process up.

As for discolouration well that's just dirt