What does "About this mac" show for a late model non-retina MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shintsu, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Shintsu macrumors member

Shintsu

Sorry to have to ask what I feel like is a really simple question, but the concept seems impossible to get an answer out of Apple or just via listings.

For a long time Apple continued to make the old fat non-retina 13" MBP, which it seemed lots of people said was outdated and not that good for how much it cost compared to a retina. They only stopped offering that in 2016, so for all that time people could still buy them. My simple question is, if someone were to buy one of those old fashioned MBPs in 2015 what does the "About this mac" screen show for the year? Since it's just a Mid-2012 that they continued to make, I am wondering if it says that. The Apple rep I asked this question - whom I'm not convinced understood what I was asking - said it would say the year it was sold.

So does a 2015 non-retina MBP (as an example) say Mid-2012 or 2015 in the "About this mac" screen? And if I want to buy one of those non-retina MBPs, how would I search for a very late production version of one?

2. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

Without question it says "Mid 2012".

We have one in our office. Just because it was sold in 2016 doesn't change the fact that it is what it is. Model identifier and year tag won't change. Apple rep must have a screw loose. Another example: A 2013 Mac Pro sold in 2017 still says "Late 2013". Make sense?

3. Shintsu thread starter macrumors member

Shintsu

Yup, exactly what I thought. So what I wonder is, if I needed service done would they be smart enough to know Apple only stopped making the 2012's in 2016 or am I going to have to go through this explanation with them so they know that despite it seeming like it's almost an obsolete and non-supported Mac that it is not? I want to be careful using those terms because I know Vintage and Obsolete per Apple have specific connotations, but I think you know what I mean. I don't want to be dismissed as bringing in some old MacBook that they would say they don't support anymore.

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Interesting question. Not sure how to know, though, since it's about Apple's future behavior. I expect Apple will continue to support the model until five years or longer after production stopped. But who knows?

5. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

It's unlikely it will reach vintage status anytime soon. People buying in late 2016 with AppleCare means it throws service to atleast late 2019, or later.

I know some resellers that continued selling it as inventory was still available, plus, I think it's still in official refurb sections at times. With purchasable AppleCare coverage.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Another take is to simply look up the serial number for the Mac.
    Any of the sites that decode the serial number will tell when the system was built.
    And, looking up your serial number at the Apple Support page will show when the system was originally purchased.
    THAT'S your primary date that sets up your warranty, and AppleCare would use that (not the year/month when your model was first released.)

7. Shintsu thread starter macrumors member

Shintsu

So let's take an actual 2012 production Mid-2012 MBP, Apple's stance is supposed to be support for 5 years after last manufacture. Would they continue to provide repairs (non-warrantied of course) for a 2012 production year MBP or are they going to say it's too old and you need to take it to a third party for any repairs? It sounds like the parts should continue to be readily available, I guess the better question is just if Apple would continue to actually provide them for the older ones or if those parts are going to generally be reserved for the latest production versions of the Mid-2012 MBP.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Correct, supported from last manufacturing. So that'll push it to support ending in late 2021.

If you bought a 13" cMBP in 2012, it will still be supported until 2021. If you bought one in 2016, the end date will be the same.

The used prices for these are very low as Apple were selling them for ages. The used market is saturated with them. In tandem with the length of support, you can pick up a really great deal. :)

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Looking at your first post main question -
    If you are looking for a late production mid-2012 MacBook Pro, your best path to one of those is to discover the serial number, which the seller should provide.

10. Shintsu thread starter macrumors member

Shintsu

It doesn't have to be, I was more just curious from a standpoint of how it shows. Functionally, a well cared for 2012 would be fine in my eyes, but I guess the question of if Apple would still support it directly would probably only be answerable by Apple. And I guess I'm not going to get a straight answer out of any of the reps on the phone.

11. NGruia macrumors newbie

NGruia

Screenshot 2017-03-31_00-22-34.png

Manufactured during : July 2013 (from Machine Profile app )