What does an 'iWatch' have to have/do to be successful?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kendo88, Apr 27, 2014.

1. kendo88 macrumors regular

As above really. We have seen watches from Sony, Samsung, pebble etc, none of them have taken off big time. What will Apple do to make this a consideration for a larger audience?

Your thoughts?

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I can't imagine every wearing or using one.

I can't imagine what even Apple can do to make it a wide success rather than something very few might actually use.

3. vancleef macrumors member

First of all: It should live up to being an Apple product, which means delivering on its promises. If it claims to measure heart rate, blood sugar etc., it should do that accurately enough.

For me to wear one, it needs to be useful and good looking. Im very interested in what it can do related to health and fitness. Useful functions include blood sugar monitoring, GPS tracking and remote controlling the iPhone's music. But it needs to look good and not like a gadget/toy.

In order to be successful, it needs to be priced competitively. They should come up with different designs or cooperate with other manufacturers. Many feel a watch should be personal.

When Apple announced the iPhone I was sceptic and thought I didn't need Apple's greatness in my phone, I was fine with my semi-smartphone and iPod Nano but when it came out I knew I had to get one. My old phone seemed overtly complicated and stupid in comparison. I hope Apple will make the Galaxy Gear seem overtly complicated and stupid. I hope they will define what a smartwatch should be.

4. kendo88 thread starter macrumors regular

I personally hope it just looks nice. Delivers notifications, Siri integration. The fitness stuff I think is a no brainer, pedometer etc.

Price and design will be the big one for me. Hope apple do not price too much higher than the gear range.

I hope they announce it at WWDC along with iOS 8. I guess it wouldn't be released till the fall doth the iphone 6, but it will give developers time with the SDK to build some interesting apps. And besides, if apple bake this into iOS 8, it will leak after the iOS beta anyway

5. Dave245 macrumors 601

Personally i just want a typical Apple product, and by this i mean reliable with brilliant service. There is one thing i have come to notice since owning Apple devices, they are extremely reliable and much better than anything on the market. My first Apple device was an iPod which i had for 6 years, i then had my first iPhone (3GS) before owning an iPad and a Mac.

With all of those devices i have found them a joy to use everyday, and its not very often i can say that about a product. Most the time people tend to use things because we have too, but i genuinely think Apple products are a joy to use. so my hopes for the iWatch are that :apple: stick with the way the do things.

As for features, i'm not too sure, but whatever :apple: does i'm sure it will be better than the other guys. I just hope that :apple: release the iWatch this year :D

6. twowinns macrumors member

For me, it will need to look good, and offer me features and conveniences I can't get anywhere else. When after the introduction, I say to myself, "Wow, I never thought of a watch also doing that".

I'm a diabetic. So if they can find a way to accurately monitor my blood sugar so I can quit pricking my fingers with a needle, I'll definitely buy one.

7. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

I'm due a new watch in any event, and so have been watching the rumors with interest.

Since my trusty old Tissot kicked the bucket, I've never replaced it. Been about 1 and a half years now - and the thing I miss the most? -- something to tell the time with! ;)

It's annoying having to get my phone out my pocket each time/look for it on the desk, just to get the time. So - for me, I hope Apple don't lose sight of the fact that it is first/foremost a Watch! I hope they get that part down properly.

Health measurements/fitness etc. would be nice. Agree that they must be accurate. I want to be able to trust the readings. Not wonder if I shouldn't install product X/Y/Z to measure A/B/C better/more accurately.

I'd like some intuitive and easy way to scan what that new email/message/whatsapp/tapatalk/twitter/facebook/etc etc. notification was, in order to decide if I need to take my phone out, to respond. Don't think I need a camera on it, thanks very much. Ability to record audio, and have it stored on my Phone, could be useful though.

I assume it will work seamlessly with both iPhone and iPad - but what about the Mac? Imagine if Apple got sneaky and said "Airdrop between iOs and OSX is now possible - IF you buy the iWatch..." ;)

Cannot see much use for an iTunes app on the watch - although, would be useful to be able to control the playlist/music playing on the phone, by a quick swipe on the face of the watch...

8. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

To be successful, an 'iWatch' will have to sell lots.

9. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

10. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

It has to look and function better than the Moto 360

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

1) reasonable price
    2) look at least somewhat like a normal watch, not like tech jewelry
    3) simple operation
    4) not try to do too much

What I mean by #4 is that I don't think it should try to be a Rolex-meets-fitbit-meets-garmin-meets-iPod -- unless it can somehow do all of those things really well, which I doubt. It's gotta appeal to a wide range of people, obviously, but I think that at least gen 1 has to pick one or two things and do them exceptionally well. Like the first iPod was just music at first, but its size and ease of use made it far and away better than what had existed. The first iPhone lacked some features blackberries and other smartphones had at the time, but the remarkable touchscreen, browser, and (again) ease of use set it apart. Later on, the iPod and iPhone got a lot more features, but they didn't get where they eventually got by trying to pack every feature in to the first gen product.

12. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Affordable, $500 or less range.
    Standalone iOS not dependent on the phone.
    Sexy design ala iphone

13. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I want one really bad already. But to be successful it needs to do something my phone can't do...besides tell me I'm a fat ass.

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I agree. Couple things I'd add to that list is decent battery life and water resistance/proofing. Apparently, it's extremely annoying to have to charge your watch every 2 days or so (my experience with the first Sony Smartwatch).

I have a Pebble which actually works pretty decently. I expect the iWatch to either meet or exceed the Pebble and the pairing between iWatch and iOS device to be more seamless.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

First and foremost, have amazing battery life. Like being able to go weeks between charges.

16. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

For me, I would want push notifications from my iPhone, iPod capabilities, weather synced with my phone, speedometer, heart rate monitor, thermometer, odometer, and Siri would be nice.

Edit. I meant iPod controls to control my phone while it is in my pocket

17. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

When Apple announced the iPhone I already knew what I wanted and what [garbage] was out there. And I knew the iPhone was a leap forward and therefore I wanted to have one.

The iPhone didn't introduce me to smartphones. It introduced me to the first great smartphone.

18. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Because of the size, SIRI would have to be very reliable for all voice activations.

19. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

I've been using a fitbit flex the last few weeks - it's totally changed my life. I dusted off the treadmill and put it in the lounge room, signed up with a PT for weightlifting sessions twice a week, did a total clean sweep of my diet. I am addicted to hitting my 10,000 steps everyday and usually push past that with 11-12K. Have lost 3 kg's, gained muscle and am feeling great. I would have purchased a force (if it weren't for the recall) simply because it has a clock.

So:

iWatch needs a clock (derp).

The treadmill and the fitbit app both tell me different things, I'm doing 5.5km's on the treadmill and the fitbit is about 800 metres less. I'm burning 510 calories on the treadmill and the fitbit again says it's less. I do a high intensity cardio session outside for 45 minutes, the fitbit picks it up as '10 active minutes' - I burnt a bucket-load more calories than what it displays and active minutes are obviously higher. To counteract this I'm having to manually add an extra 30 minutes of cardio from fitbits pre-programmed data to level it out, which doesn't give an accurate measurement.

The iWatch needs to be super accurate. Or allow detailed editing of collected data to provide the user complete accuracy. Also a better set of pre-programmed data than fitbit with stronger selections than just 'cardio circuit with some aerobics'. Maybe this functionality will be outsourced / supplied via Nike software built-in? Apple could just focus on the watch and operating system with super-refined accelerometer and sensors - Nike on-board to do with rest, developers apps can tap into these sensors for their own apps and sell them in the appstore.

Logging water on the fitbit is a pain, I set silent alarms on the fitbit every 1.5 hours to remind me to drink water.

iWatch would have silent alarms and visual notifications / link in with reminders / calendar - this would be likely anyway. To expand on hydration - a sensor would be ideal (if it's accurate or even possible?)

Fitbit - Having to activate / deactivate sleep mode is a pain. It's a great feature but you don't always remember to activate.

iWatch should have some sort of programmable time frame where you would normally go to sleep and activate automatically (or prompt to activate sleep mode) during the programmed time period (thinking about shift workers here, people that don't work 9-5) - this would possibly tie in with 'do not disturb' settings.

Logging food on the fitbit is a pain - PLUS it's only American data, I'm in Australia so again the accuracy is off. A food database tie in with calorie counting services in the users country - or pull data from their apps would be needed. Again, Apple may have teamed up with a few companies to supply this data?

iWatch extras:

Personalised Apple training programs would be awesome - but this would be supplied no doubt via iWatch apps / app content from developers.

Heart rate monitor would be a given.

Weather info, via sensors (if exercise / body heat don't interfere with them). Otherwise, Yahoo data.

Bluetooth earpods / wireless headset for music.

Blood sugar sensors for diabetics would be ground breaking but I can't see it happening in the first release. This would have to be spot on and possibly approved via health officials for such wide scale use?

System-wide integration with Siri.

Wireless payments with Touch ID would be splendid.

Camera / video recording - but not at the sacrifice to battery - keep it for version 2.

Ability to operate without the need for heavy reliance on an iDevice.

If it has a band - a stainless steel option, e.g. pebble steel.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It need to be smaller and look better than what we see today. No way I would wear one of these ugly geek things.

I prefer to just "look" at my phone.

21. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

1: It has to have a way to look at the time without unlocking it manually. So maybe make the lock screen show the time 24/7. Or motion based when you turn your arm. Have a mechanical watch under the lcd, or an E ink display under the lcd.

2: Battery life must exceed 8 ours of normal use, and 7 days of just looking at the time.

3: MUST have a way to customize it! It can't be cases like on iPhone. So it must be the bands or the watch face. Or maybe the OS is very customizable like IOS 7 is with the translucency and colors. I don't want everyone wearing the same watch as me! The #1 rule in fashion is to stick out of the crowd don't buy sh** everyone has. Well that's my modo at least.

4: The screen orientation must have a fun spin bouncy effect. So if you turn your wrist away from you, the screen has to flip, so it should do that buy having the whole screen image spin fast and have a slight rubber band effect. Idk why but thinking about it makes me so excited :D

5: Honestly if the iWatch just looks AMAZING! People will buy it no matter what. I mean people spend thousands or hundreds for a basic watch because of the design and quality. Hell it could be a basic watch with a tiny lcd on the watch face and I will buy it as long as it looks good.

6: THIS IS MY 100th POST :apple:

22. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Can't be huge, ugly, and/or "geeky" looking. I think more people would be willing to try it if it didn't look like it was taken from an early Star Trek episode. That has hampered some previous attempts at this kind of watch.

However, I still have no interest in it and never will.