What does "anti glare" mean in the mac world?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ckar, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Ckar macrumors member

I am looking at buying a used macbook pro and some screens have "antiglare" in the spec list. Is it worth choosing an "antiglare" screen over a typical screen?

2. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

4. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

yes! Way better, if you remember when kindle bashed the iPad for being hard to see outside. Its like the kindle screen but not really haha, really easy to see in any light. Very convent if you work outside, by windows, near lights, ect.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's purely a matter of personal preference. For years there have been countless "Matte vs Glossy" threads with heated debates. The result was roughly half prefer matte (antiglare) and half prefer glossy. It doesn't matter what others may prefer, as they don't have to live everyday with your computer. You do. Decide what works best for you.

6. howareyoukk macrumors regular

matt screen is a MUST on macbook pro..i have a hi-res glossy display and planning on upgrading to matt display next year..it will cost me extra but i think the outcome is worth it.

7. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

You'll have a job. It's only available on the 15" classic MBP form factor, which has been discontinued. Which means for me, I've bought my last MBP.

*edit* or did you mean you're just going to replace the screen on your existing laptop?

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Go for the antiglare. You'll appreciate it thoroughly when you use your MBP outdoors.

Being a photographer, I've an antiglare 15" Sandy Bridge MBP and love it. Quite a number of users with the glossy variant envy mine because of the matte screen. Besides, glossy screens tend to oversaturate colors. Matte screens display colors more naturally.

And it's the closest thing to retina without being a retina. The PPI's fine, as long as you don't use it less than 5 inches away.