Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Do they wipe your old phone while you are still in the store? Transfer data to the new phone?

Or do they basically just take the old device and give you the new one.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
He made sure I had syncd at home before coming in (like they tell you to in the appointment) and then wiped my phone in front of me.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
- They take your device, after you've wiped it via 'reset.'
- They then give you a refurbishment; they say it's a brand new device, with 2nd hand circuit board.
- Your device is sent off; the battery, screen are thrown away, and the internals are put in a new case.

*This is what they say they do; usually they're very good, but I remember a person receiving a iPod with stuff on it - which would imply they just repackage them; but, I think that was a once off / accident.*

RobMoss

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2009
I had to swap out for a refurbed 3G once, and when I went into the iTunes store it prompted me for someone else's password.

patp

Apr 10, 2008
What are the chances they'll let me pick a white one instead of a black one for a replacement?

Probably 0%, right?

they will only exchange for the same color you originally purchased. In the event they are out of stock of black phones (which i seriously doubt would ever happen) - maybe if you get the right Genius and it's a busy Saturday afternoon and it's right before his lunch break and he was out drinking the night before and has to really pee, maybe.

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
they will only exchange for the same color you originally purchased. In the event they are out of stock of black phones (which i seriously doubt would ever happen) - maybe if you get the right Genius and it's a busy Saturday afternoon and it's right before his lunch break and he was out drinking the night before and has to really pee, maybe.

Darn :rolleyes:

Will I encounter any grief since this is happening outside of one year?
I purchased the phone on launch last June and its happening now, about a week outside of the one year.

I'm going to go after work I just want to decide whether or not its worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.