Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Repeatedly buying with the intention of returning would obviously be unethical, wasteful, and a generally shoddy thing to do, but it's certainly not fraud. You buy subject to Apple's sales policies and applicable local laws. In most regions you always have a right to return for faulty or not as described goods, but generally speaking buyer's remorse returns are a goodwill gesture under Apple's sales policy, rather than a law. As such, that goodwill gesture can be revoked if you fail to keep your end of the bargain, for example by abusing it (as the terms and conditions state). In reality you'd have to do this a lot for a company of Apple's size to notice or care, but if you did go about repeatedly returning you can bet your payment card and/or shipping address will get blacklisted eventually.

I'm not sure why a couple of posters here are branding it fraud - if the policy was different and, for example, you could only return faulty items, and you lied to get a return that way, then sure we are heading down those lines. But the simple act of buying a product with the intention of returning is not a breach of Apple sales policies. Doing it repeatedly would be, but again the worst penalty is Apple blacklisting you (which they are perfectly entitled to do at any time anyway for a good reason) rather than being punished for 'fraud'.

As for what happens to returned items: it depends what it is.

iOS devices will be sent to a service centre to be disassembled and the parts reused. Some parts won't be reused, and will instead be recycled, for example glass and metal enclosures. Re-used parts and new parts are combined to manufacture new devices which are then used as AppleCare replacements and sold as refurbs. It used to be the case that Apple public stated that refurbished iOS devices had a new screen, enclosure, and battery, which would lead you to believe that these components are disposed of/recycled from returned devices rather than reused. Apple's position on this today is less clear, however.

Macs aren't automatically disassembled like iOS devices are. Instead they are tested for faults, repaired, and then re-sold as refurbs.

The same applies to large accessories.

Small accessories are generally recycled/disposed of.

Friarchuck

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
They get sent off to the factory. Where they are checked for the problem then disassembled. Useable parts are then used to remanufacture phones. They don’t just simply turn around and resell returns as used refurbished phones.

But a lot of these returns aren’t because the product was broken. When I was buying my MacBook Pro I bought a 13”, returned it for a 15” a few days later, and then a few days after that, the brand new MacBook Pro 2016 came out so I traded it in for that. None of those computers had issues, but I feel justified in my decision since the computers are such an expensive item and a huge investment. I consider it great customer service and the fact that they allowed me to do so resulted in my buying a more expensive computer than I would have otherwise, so both parties win. Anyway, I returned 2 perfectly fine computers, and it would be crazy to sell them as anything other than new or refurbished.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
And I am saying, this 14 day return policy for a full refund with no questions asked can very well be misused, abused. I understand the governments in U.S and Europe wanna give a consumer a full consumer protection right because of which these policies exists but someone from else where in the world would just relish this opportunity and misuse this policy. Would Apple not know this that people would be deliberately doing this aswell? I know quite a few of my friends in U.S who buy a new TV during the football world cup and return it after the world cup is over ! for a full refund ! lol !

Last edited:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Wow ! I wish I can just keep buying Apple Products use it for free for 14 days and return it back for a full refund ! And I can keep doing it ! Who needs to buy in that case ! lol !

Given the time it takes to set up new devices alone would make that a major PITA. Then there is the time to buy the device and then return it. No thanks. I would think one's time, sanity, and dignity, respectively, are worth more than gaming the system that way. I'm sure some do but they eventually get blackballed.

Reactions: Cape Dave

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Given the time it takes to set up new devices alone would make that a major PITA. Then there is the time to buy the device and then return it. No thanks. I would think one's time, sanity, and dignity, respectively, are worth more than gaming the system that way. I'm sure some do but they eventually get blackballed.

There always Nasty, shameless customers who don't give a damn to what people think !

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
There always Nasty, shameless customers who don't give a damn to what people think !

Right but companies track customers purchases and returns now. They know who the serial returners are and won't flinch to blackball them. If you look at any big store's return policy it always states it reserves the right to refuse to take any product back for any reason. Amazon is notorious for closing accounts of customers who return too much. Apple, Target do it too.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I find the idea that customers from areas outside of the EU and US would be more likely to abuse a return policy a silly statement.

Reactions: Kal-037

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
And I am saying, this 14 day return policy for a full refund with no questions asked can very well be misused, abused. I understand the governments in U.S and Europe wanna give a consumer a full consumer protection right because of which these policies exists but someone from else where in the world would just relish this opportunity and misuse this policy. Would Apple not know this that people would be deliberately doing this aswell? I know quite a few of my friends in U.S who buy a new TV during the football world cup and return it after the world cup is over ! for a full refund ! lol !
Go look at Costco. They have 90 days return policy for electronics. And yes, there are people that abuse it. But there are more sensible people in the world that have better things to do.

Apple is not stupid. The amount of abuse in the US doesn't warrant elimination of the policy. Now it's different if we talk about Asia, like Hong Kong. Apple eliminated their return policy in Hong Kong. So they do know the accounting involved with this policy, and if the numbers don't justify it, they will put a different policy.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
They get sent off to the factory. Where they are checked for the problem then disassembled. Useable parts are then used to remanufacture phones. They don’t just simply turn around and resell returns as used refurbished phones.
They also use these “remanufactured” phones as replacements for those that have problems that can’t be fixed within the warranty and AppleCare periods.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
They also use these “remanufactured” phones as replacements for those that have problems that can’t be fixed within the warranty and AppleCare periods.

Of course they do, and with all their remanufactured phones they come with a new casing new screen and new battery. They only reuse inside working parts.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
When the iPhone 7 came out I was at the apple store to buy and I couldn't decide between the 7 or 7+ and the girl working for Apple suggested I buy both and try them out for a bit and then just return the one I didn't prefer.

So I don't think Apple really cares if you buy and return your items.
That was an individual and in no way reflects Apple policy. Maybe she needed a boost to her sales numbers, however temporary. It certainly does not mean that Apple wants you to return things.

Last edited:

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
For people saying it’s ‘fraud’ - as far as I’m aware actually it isn’t as it’s a no questions asked return policy. They don’t say you have to have a reason to return it. Of course if you take the p!ss eventually they will put their foot down and rightfully so. But as to commuting an offence - no, you’re not using it in the way it’s meant to be but technically you’re not being untruthful as you don’t even have to say ‘I’m returning it because ...’

Reactions: canhaz

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
For people saying it’s ‘fraud’ - as far as I’m aware actually it isn’t as it’s a no questions asked return policy. They don’t say you have to have a reason to return it. Of course if you take the p!ss eventually they will put their foot down and rightfully so. But as to commuting an offence - no, you’re not using it in the way it’s meant to be but technically you’re not being untruthful as you don’t even have to say ‘I’m returning it because ...’

Sadly this policy does not exist in many places where Apple does not have direct presence and sells its products through Resellers !

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Of course they do, and with all their remanufactured phones they come with a new casing new screen and new battery. They only reuse inside working parts.
Good to know. Maybe a remanufactured phone is the way to go. They would have already tested it to make sure it didn’t have connectivity issues, right?

Warhawk15

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2012
Not that this resurrected threads needs more opinions but I’ve only done this once.

I bought the 12” MacBook to see if it could replace my 15”. As much as I loved the size and everything, the 1 port and keyboard were dealbreakers for me. I used it for about a week to be sure and returned it.

I think this is a big reason why Apple and others have this return policy. Of course there will always be abusers, that’s granted.

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Good to know. Maybe a remanufactured phone is the way to go. They would have already tested it to make sure it didn’t have connectivity issues, right?

It very well could be. They do go through a much more thourough QC and testing. The few times I’ve had to swap an iPhone the replacement which was a remanufactured was better in many ways than the brand new one.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
When I used to work at the Apple Store (mind you this was 10 years ago), we routinely recommended that people return stuff they didn't like. It was kept and resold as open box with a small discount applied at the end of the month. I know the store nearest me still recommends buying and returning because they did it to me when I had my machine in for service a few weeks back.

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
When I used to work at the Apple Store (mind you this was 10 years ago), we routinely recommended that people return stuff they didn't like. It was kept and resold as open box with a small discount applied at the end of the month. I know the store nearest me still recommends buying and returning because they did it to me when I had my machine in for service a few weeks back.
So much for testing, re-manufacturing, refurbishing and probably even basic cleaning. New screen and battery? Yeah, not so much.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So you are saying Apple Store guys only allow a return for certain times not beyond that ?

It is not the "apple store guys" it would be Apple.

They do have a black list for customers who buy and return too often.
[doublepost=1539111342][/doublepost]If the phone was returned and working, it would be re-cased and sold as new.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Wow ! I wish I can just keep buying Apple Products use it for free for 14 days and return it back for a full refund ! And I can keep doing it ! Who needs to buy in that case ! lol !

You wanna set up another phone every two weeks?

Never mind the unethical nature of this, thats what you wanna do? And charge the full amount then get refunded? What’s the difference between being out the amount if you’re out that amount, in limbo, all the time? Good luck making 26 trips to the Apple store every time saying “I’m just not sure if i like it”

And what about the downtime? Do you then do a 360 and tell the same employee “maybe ill give it another try”

I’m sure you’re joking but this would make zero practical sense...

As far as what they do, I’m assuming they gut the internals, give it a new external housing, and refurbish it for refurbished store or replacement devices.

I dont think they just physically wipe off a returned device and turn it around to the next guy.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
So much for testing, re-manufacturing, refurbishing and probably even basic cleaning. New screen and battery? Yeah, not so much.

Don't confuse open box (a new product that was opened and returned) with refurbished (a product that goes back to the factory for extensive work). If you buy a Macbook and return it, they format the drive, install the OS and whatever apps it came with, clean it, put it back in the packaging and mark it down. That's all open box is... a like new product with an opened box that can't be sold as new. If something is wrong with the product it is sent back to Apple to refurbish.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Cape Dave

Contributor
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Don't confuse open box (a new product that was opened and returned) with refurbished (a product that goes back to the factory for extensive work). If you buy a Macbook and return it, they format the drive, install the OS and whatever apps it came with, clean it, put it back in the packaging and mark it down. That's all open box is... a like new product with an opened box that can't be sold as new. If something is wrong with the product it is sent back to Apple to refurbish.
Copy that. I was confused. I get it now. I wonder what Apple's ratio of returns to sales is. Per product. That would be interesting.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
most major companies now require receipts for returns. even at apple you have to have bought it at an apple store to return it to an apple store for serialized products. and yes it is possible if you make a habit of buying and returning within the return period that they will cut you off.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
My pops was a Police Officer who worked in the Fraud Division, he didn’t bring work home, but I got a crash course in Law Enforcement and was there for many fun arrests. While a seemingly good idea, I highly recommend against it. It’s a felony to commit any type of Fraud, like others have said Apple keeps record of returns and most other companies do as well now. You are probably just joking, but even still, I’d be careful with returning products that aren’t defective or have no real reason to be returned.

Ok looks like we found a tough guy. Did you know, using Capital Letters, doesn't make your point any more Official)

No, it's not fraud to return a purchase because you changed your mind. :rolleyes: There is no such thing as needing 'a real reason'.

Reactions: SDColorado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.