Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
For example, I know that Apple puts new batteries in refurbished iPads and Macbooks. Do they put new backlights in refurbished monitors? Any other things they change?

I have no worries in buying anything else refurbished from Apple but I'd like to know more before buying a refurb monitor.

merrillmonster

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Apple refurbished products all have new housing and external features. All of the internal parts could possibly be from a salvaged device that had cosmetic damage. I am not sure about the bulbs specifically though. All refurbished devices are put through many functionality tests and are often more dependable than brand new devices.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I've bought Apple (and Dell) refurbs many times, so that's not an issue. It's just that a monitor backlight is similar to a battery. They both deteriorate over time and have expected lifespans. Apple replaces batteries in refurbs and it would be good to know they do the same for backlights in monitors.

I chatted with Apple sales and they say they don't have that info.

Edit: NM. I checked Amazon and I can buy a new 27" ACD for only $36 more than I would pay for a refurb + sales tax from Apple. For $36 extra on an item of this overall cost, I'll just go new and not worry about the backlight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.